Guest walked in our private bedroom at 5:30 in the morning.

Jay235
Level 4
Kent, WA

Guest walked in our private bedroom at 5:30 in the morning.

Hi my guest walked into our master bedroom that I share with my girlfriend at 5:30 in the morning. I was getting up for work and unlocked our bedroom door and went downstairs and by chance I went back upstairs to get something. When I get back in the room and close the door suddenly the guest walks in turns on the lights and just stared at me. And I said you're in the wrong room and he half awake sort of said oh I'm so sorry. My girlfriend pulled the blanket over her and said that she was really glad I was there. Had I not been there or if one of us was undressed or something I would have been pissed.

The guest is checking out today anyways. Should I mention this in his review or not?

24 Replies 24

Had a drunken guest do this on the way back to his room. He apologized. The fact your guy stared for a moment isn't that weird. I've sleepily walked into situations that took my brain a moment to catch up with my eyes. Being in a new place can be disorienting. 

Okay thank you for all your help.

Samantha432
Level 2
Indianapolis, IN

I used to work with habitual sex offenders and sex addicts and I heard many, many stories of how they would feign accidents suck as this for a cheap thrill. I almost guarantee it was intentional, however not proveable. ****

*[Inappropriate content hidden–in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Samantha432 

There is a huge difference between your experience working with habitual sex offenders and the occasional guest walking into the wrong room when they stay at an Airbnb.

I absolutely don't agree that any guests who walks into the wrong room are sexual predators.

There are of course guests who use staying in an Airbnb as an opportunity to hit on hosts, or act in a sexual inappropriate way, but these cases are extremely rare.

In fact I have to say I have done it myself in an Airbnb (fortunately not a bedroom but a private living space) as I got the doors confused.

@Jay235 thanks for posting this! I feel the same way you do... guest actually did this today and scared my parents half to death. But this was in the afternoon ha. I don't even know how to feel but it's not going down very well

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Jay235,  Could be a perv but its doubtful for reasons others have given and more.  Your situation leaves me with as many questions as answers, does this guy have good prior reviews?  Is this a shared Bathroom you thought he might have been looking for?  Are you sure your ready for what Airbnb guests from all over the country and world will throw at you without a minutes notice and can you smile and laugh it off when you might feel like frowning or even yelling (cause thats probably gonna happen). 

My wife and I have had hundreds of bookings and a thousand or more guests over a few years and more than my share of guests that ended up where they were not supposed to be including a cute young woman in a wee skirt obviously a bit tipsy and disoriented after returning from a wedding reception waking me up bedside cause she couldn't find her space (my wife was doing an overnight eldercare), that was a ginger moment, I did an amazingly effective  blanket wrap and guided her to her suite tout suite!!!!!!  Luckily it was a chillier night so all she saw was the surprised expression on my face not the full Monty!  Another young lady in our downstairs suite who couldn't read or speak English somehow ended up in a suites bathroom the next floor up and had to go through 2 gates, our kitchen, up a set of stairs and into a completely separate 3 bedroom suite to get to it!   The young man in residence at the time was astonished to see a lady wrapped in a towel exiting his private bathroom needless to say!     

I should have learned back in 1983 in my nearly newly issued  private barracks room @ Fort Riley KS when I woke up with a humongous hangover and an exceptionally large young South American lady who spoke very little English sharing my very tiny Army Bunk that I had no Idea who she was or where she came from!   After waking her and sneaking her out the side door then shepparding her back downtown where she was picked up a few hours earlier, I did a little investigating and found out one of my skumbag cohorts in a shared room down the hallway got a conscience at 0400 hundred hours and realized his beer goggles were not going to serve him in the morning well so he locked her out in the hallway when she went to use the shared men's bathroom,  when she realized what happened, she started searching for any open door and found my door unlocked and made herself at home (lucky me)!

We have found a number of tricks over the years to try to minimize these things from happening like adding privacy locks, signs on doors and more extensive descriptions in our listings.  I suggest you do the same, stay well, JR

Thor6
Level 3
Berlin, Germany

hello, everyone.

i just wanted to mention that some people are sleepwalking. i once had two sisters staying, and one of them were up sleepwalking at times. i just kept the door to my bedroom locked. i could hear her trying the doorknob a few nights.

it wasn't a problem, really. and i never mentioned it to them. i didn't want to create an awkward situation. they were lovely people, and nice guests.

cheers,

Thor

Michelle2137
Level 4
New South Wales, Australia

Sounds to me like he was sleep walking. I used to do that, as a child though, especially it seems when I was getting up to go to the bathroom. I would usually wander around the house, have non coherent conversations with my parents and find my way back to bed. If they mentioned it the next day I would wonder how they knew what I was dreaming lol. Most of the time I had no recollection.

You might want to be thankful that he didn't pee in the corner like one of my son's would do.

Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

ABSOLUTELY mention this in their review. Do you think other hosts will want to be subjected to this behavior if you didn't?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Jay235 in addition to the bathroom sigh, also put “private do not enter” sign on your bedroom.  You can buy inexpensive sticky letters at a hardware store. I think your attack on @Deidre2 was uncalled for by the way