Guest wants to cancel with short notice

Yannis21
Level 2
Khania, Greece

Guest wants to cancel with short notice

Hello community!

I have a guest arriving in 3 days (09 of May) for a reservation from 9th to 14th. Unfortunately I just received a message from the guest that they want to change their reservation for just 1 day (9th of May). I have a strict cancellation policy and the minimum stay is for 2 nights. In such a short notice the room will be left unbooked. I was thinking of declining the alternation but I am thinking that the guest will put a vigilantive negative review afterwards. What should I do?

Yannis
3 Replies 3
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Yannis21 have them cancel the reservation before the check in day so that they cannot leave a review offering them a refund if someone books the nights or otherwise let them know that you have a 2 nights minimum rule and a strict cancelation policy and they can contact Airbnb if they are not satisfied. I onde had a situation just like this, I let the guest stay for one night with a refund for the others and still got a bad review. It id better to have a bad review but with the money paid 🙂 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Yannis21  in your situation, I would tell the guest you cannot accept such an alteration at such short notice as you are unlikely to be able to get a replacement bookings.

However, you can say that if the listing is re booked you are happy to consider a refund.

Of course if the guests cancellation is covered by extenuating circumstances, Airbnb will refund them anyway.

Yannis21
Level 2
Khania, Greece

Thank you! Your  answers we very helpful!

Yannis