Guest with allergies rents my dog friendly apartment

Laurel70
Level 2
Fayetteville, NY

Guest with allergies rents my dog friendly apartment

I had the unfortunate spiral down with a guest who booked my apartment and admitted she didn't read my listing bc she " saw I had a house manual" . It went from bad to worse in about 15 minutes time and started with her arriving unannounced and parking in my neighbors driveway across the street. Actually I realized it looked like she had arrived bc I saw them walking down the street. So I headed to the door of the apartment, realized they weren't there, went out the door to look around the corner and hear my dogs go off so now I know theyve gone to the wrong door. I gave them a polite shout that they were at the wrong entrance and she asked me if she had parked in the right place. I didn't see her pull up and didn't know what she was driving so I asked where she was and she pointed to my neighbors driveway so of course I said no. I told her she was welcome to park in my driveway,  or directly in front of the house bc its easier for unloading. She gets in her car and somewhat agressively whips around the corner and parks out front, by the apartment entrance. By the time she gets to the porch I can tell she's not happy. I ignore it, walk them up the stairs, try to give them my very brief intro to the house, which I can do in less than 3 minutes. I can tell they are somewhat refusing to follow me around, I show them the wifi info, explain the door code and details of the outer door and out I go. I went back out to finish unloading my car bc normally, when I have guests I park the furthest away from the door and although shes parked legally in the street I decide to message her and let her know if she prefers to park off street, please do. She responds that her daughter is having an asthma attack, they are at the pharmacy getting an inhaler, the dog dander and odor are setting her off and they must leave and of course, expects a refund. Ive read enough on this board to realize I am not going to aruge and tell her im very sorry, of course I'll refund her ( she was only to be here one night) and the entire thing, from start to finish, her arrival to her refund is less than a half hour. I let her know I refunded her, she tells me she didn't read my listing bc she saw I had a house manual. So that's her flimsy excuse to not know exacty where to park, not know exactly what door is my guest entrance and not know that I allow pets. That is the ultimate in frustration bc if you have a kid who is so allergiic to pets, wouldnt you read the listing? I mention im pet friendly in my first or second paragraph. Ive never had anyone park in the wrong driveway. Never had anyone go to the wrong entrance. Never had anyone book with allergies or complain about pet dander or odor. Please look at my reviews,  many check " sparkling clean" as I am well aware that renting to pet owners requires exceptional diligence in vaccuming, rolling, deodorizing. My dogs are not allowed upstairs, it's a completely seperate entrance, the last person with a dog was probably 2 or 3 guests prior.

I had hoped quickly refunding, remaining polite and friendly,  even though this entire situation, every bit of it could have been completely avoided if she had just read the listing. But nope. She has reviewed me and I know shes not going to be nice. Also a former host, I might add.

So, is it nit picky that I review her mentioning all this foolishness even before she got in the door? Let me also add, I went up immediately after, noticed they had sat on the bed. I don't know what made me fluff the pillows but when I did, there were crackers under them. Not crumbs but large pieces of cracker under the pillow. Purposely planted, I dont know. It appeared to be but I don't want my reivew to sound  as nit picky as she really gives me reason to be. All this in 10 minutes time.  I don't want to come off sounding ridiculous but the entire mess was totally bc she simply didn't read.

Or do I review her stating the date she checked in and simply say she did not stay?  Please advise!  Thank you in advance.

15 Replies 15
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Sarah977  exactly... it always makes me suspicious of people who do this.  I find people who play this kind of roulette with their lives a little too hard to believe.  Depending on the story, it does cross my mind that they might be trying it on to make a buck. 

On the other hand, if a person with a mortal allergy to seafood books table at a busy seafood restaurant... well I know what Charles Darwin would call it 🙂