Guest with two profiles? (Follow up to my post about giving a bad review!)

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Guest with two profiles? (Follow up to my post about giving a bad review!)

Remember my post needing advice for reviewing a bad guest? Well, as expected, she's upset! She never reviewed me and she didn't reply to my review of her, but she did send me a LONG message basically trashing my place since I gave her a bad review. If you want to read my review, and her message, they are below. But I have two new questions:

1 - She sent me this message from a DIFFERENT account, that still has her name?? The account she used when she booked with me was from April 2019. The account she sent this recent message from was from 2018. (no reviews on that account either) So how can someone have two accounts, both with verified ID's? I am guessing she changed her profile name somehow on one of the accounts and the two accounts must have different legal names?

2 - I see no option to block her. When you hit the flag on the message, it brings up several options, all of which lead to the most random complaints, but none allowing you to block. What am I missing??

For those who want to read my review of her:

"Guest and her daughter were very friendly guests but had some issues navigating the etiquette of a shared space. There was a loud phone conversation after 9pm in the shared space, lights were left on when leaving for the day as well as overnight, and the back door was left unlocked. The bedspread had multiple ink stains. It took a bit longer than usual to clean the room/bathroom after check-out. I believe she may have underestimated the socialization skills of her dog as the dog did not seem to enjoy being around new people and also peed on a rug. She allowed the dog on the couch, which is against house rules. Future hosts might just want to clarify rules and general house guidelines with these guests when they book."

And her message to me:

"Suzanne, I see that you wrote a very detailed post of your perception of the experience of having us in your home. We will not be returning so that should put your mind to rest. This was our first and probably our last Airbnb experience. I feel as if you did not speak your mind while we were there and instead decided to post it in your review. Thank you for the feedback, I will keep these things in mind if I ever do decide to stay in an Airbnb location again. I think that in the future you need to post how loud people can talk on the phone and the times you want no noise at all in the evenings. I apologize for any pen marks on your blanket, I was not aware that had happened when my daughter wrote her note. As a result, I also believe that you should not allow children in your home period because I do not think that a person like yourself can tolerate unexpected accidents like these. I think you did state that in your original requirements of stay that you did not allow children. So, yes I do believe that you should stick to that. I do agree that my dog was not socialized to you but you did not necessarily state that as a strict requirement either. Just to make it known to you, my dog is very socialized to those living in our neighborhood and with the people and animals at the dog park. However, I would agree that she may need more training. She is just over a year old so you may need to specify your expectation of dog age and behavior in your home and how trained the animals should be. I do believe that you tried to be accommodating but as evidenced by your feedback were not very sincere. I know that you intended to post a very specific and honest post. Overall, your home is very cute and nicely staged. However, your couch looked like it needed a good cleaning and had various stains already on it as well that looks like you tried to get out. I Apologize that my dog briefly walked on your stained couch. I allow her on the furniture at my home but my couch has scotch guard impregnated in the fabric and it is easy to clean. I apologize for the peed rug, again I am still training her as well. I immediately told you what had happened and you took care of it. In your post, you make it sound like this is something that you discovered after I left. However, you know that the carpet in the bedroom already had visible stains on it when we arrived which I accepted because you have identified your home as a dog-friendly home. I assumed that you would be forgiving for that instance. So, that probably needs a better cleaning as well. I also apologize for leaving your backdoor unlocked. I remember locking it several times but I have a daughter and it could have happened without my knowledge. On a more positive note, Thank you for the movie tickets and books. My daughter and her cousins have enjoyed the books. Also, thank you very much for providing us the dog kennel for our dog. I think that you meant well and I may need to have my dog better trained before traveling again."

28 Replies 28
David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Suzanne302 

I think your review was honest and fair. It refreshing to see a host actually leave a review of this nature as many hosts seems so fearful of leaving truthful reviews. And her response? It wasn’t too bad all things considered. She sounds a bit entitled but I feel she has tried to take some responsibility for her actions. Well 10% and blame the rest on you, haha 

1. It’s actually very easy to create multiple accounts. If you use a different email address and profile name. 

2. I wish their was a way to block guests, so they have no chance to book your place again,  or make any further contact. I don’t know of a way either?

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Suzanne302 

Actually I'm impressed by  the message Your guest sent You after having read Your review. She's polite, apologetic and admits she made some mistakes. I don't think she's trashing Your place in that message.

@Ute

I agree her response was civilized and you're right, maybe "trashing my place" wasn't the best way to word it. I think it just bothers me that she decided to make excuses for each of her disrespectful behaviors by saying something bad about my place. For example:

-I need to tell people how loud they should be on the phone? No, a decent person should realize to use their "inside voice" at night when sharing a space.

-She read my rules that said no children but booked anyway and since I made an exception she now tells me I shouldn't because I can't tolerate accidents? Um, I'm very tolerant of accidents but that doesn't mean I won't mention them in a review when the guest is disrespectful.

-She says her dog is socialized to the people in her neighborhood. Well that's NOT socialized. That's selective and my rules state socialized, friendly dogs only.

-She says I should clarify my expectations of training and behavior? I think I'm pretty clear in that regard and house trained only means dogs that aren't still in training!!

-My couch looked like it needed a good cleaning so that's her excuse for allowing her dog on it against my rules (that she clearly read)?

-I allow dogs and there was a stain on the carpet already so that's her excuse for it being okay for her dog to pee on the carpet? She "accepted" the stains and thought it was okay to add another??

By the way, my couch had a small "water stain" from a cleaning I did just prior to her arrival so that's the "dirty couch" she's mentioning. And the carpet in the bedroom is off-white, and there is a dark area near the door so that's the stained carpet she had to tolerate. The horror!

I have 50+ positive reviews. And she was all positive and left me a wonderful thank you note. She only turned sour once she read my review. And she didn't even bother to review me! So, one of these things is not like the other.

@Suzanne302 

I understand Your points and this certainly wasn't a perfect guest. But her reaction shows that she' s civilized and consideratet. She's not a real bad guest.

You tagging me didnt get through by the way. I just read Your comment by accident.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Emilia42 

Thanks! I kept going through the steps because I knew I'd seen it on here before but none of those prompts "fit" why I needed to flag the guest and I was afraid I was going to make a false report.

@Suzanne302 

best I can tell ABB does absolutely nothing with reported profiles. So, yes, the block options are odd, but it is all that ABB gives us, so I choose to work with what I'm given. The one that seems to reliably work for blocking is harrassment.

Anytime I give someone a review bad enough that I don't want to book them again or hear from them again, I also go in and block them.

ABB has chosen to hide blocking behind that silly menu of choices so that is the system that I use.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Suzanne302   I agree with @David6 in that both your review and the guest response were quite civilized and detailed.  I am curious as to why I cannot see your listing, however.  Did you deactivate or snooze?

@Suzanne302, fill us in!

@Linda108  @Emilia42 

Haha! Nothing nefarious! I just snoozed my listing this week because I was doing a lot of driving and knew I wouldn't be able to respond to requests in a timely manner. It goes back up tomorrow.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Suzanne302 I agree with @Ute42, she sent a very civilized message and I don't know why you feel like she trashed your place. She also said that she wouldn't be returning so no need to worry about that. You expressed your opinion in the review and so did she. Did you indeed told her these things when they were bothering you or you kept quiet and said everything in the review? I would also be upset if someone doesn't give me the chance to improve, keeps quiet and expresses everything that bothered him in a public review after the stay is done. If you did express your opinion while she was there and she didn't improve than good job on the honest review. 

@Suzanne302

I don't think the guest is trashing you but she is making excuse after excuse trying to make it your fault for her own shortcomings and inconsiderate behavior. Always someone else's fault~ never takes responsibility for anything~

I personally HATE these types. They start with "I apologize for xxx " or  "I'm sorry about xxxx" but immediately after they start talking about how they aren't really to blame and it's actually YOUR FAULT (and not their own). They aren't actually apologizing and they don't feel sorry AT ALL. It's all a smoke screen...... trying to manipulate you into thinking "hey~ maybe "I" could have done better". 

Like I said...... I HATE these types. 

And when these types have kids or pets..... it always gets SOOOO~ much worse. 

Jessica & Henry,

Yes, we think alike! See my response to Ute above!

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I wouldn't be too put off by her response. But I love how she blames her daughter as if she's not the responsible parent who should be teaching her daughter valuable lessons like locking a door or not to use the bed as a desk.