Guests arriving after 12am

Maryrose7
Level 2
Zaandam, Netherlands

Guests arriving after 12am

Hello everyone! Only a few months into hosting, and already have had more then a few guests arriving at super late hours... My husband and I currently have our guest room listed. While we live on the listed premises, the late check-ins (after midnight) is very late for us to stay up as work comes early the next day... 

Is there a way to add any charges for late check ins so we dont end up staying up very late into the early mornings? Or any suggestions on how to be extra clear other then messaging house manual which includes check in times? I dont think checking in before 10-11pm is unreasonable, but it seems people (from what they say) have issues with buses and trains being late... how can we enforce the check in times, if that's even possible? If it happens every now and again we understand things happen, but it's happening a LOT. Since we live here ha inf a keypad lock is not something g we feel comfortable.with people we haven't seen or know.just letting themselves in. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated! 

5 Replies 5
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

That very thing was brought up a couple of days ago, @Maryrose7. It is here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Late-Check-In-due-to-Travel-Delays/m-p/899962

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I can only advise you to try being a guest in a foreign country.

See if the plane arrives on time, See if clearing customs is quick and simple. 

See if you catch the last subway/bus on time.

On top of all of this,  try stressing whether your airbnb host will allow you entry or slam the door and just take your money.

You are in a service industry, but you are afraid of a self-checkin code entry (a service)

While this is Airbnb, I do applaud that you can do whatever you want. But make sure you have put high in your listing that there is NO CHECKIN AFTER X:00.  Then, I won't rent from you

Fayza0
Level 2
Paris, France

Hi Maryrose,
on your listing details you should set strict check in and check out time such as from 3pm to 9pm. And then mentionning on the first line of your listing description that any check-in after 9 pm will be charged XXeuro or check-in after 9 pm cannot be guaranty as per listing arrival time and have to be discussed first with the host.
Since I work this way I never had any problem, except one exceptional time when the guest had a major flight delay.  
Best.
Fayza

[Moved from duplicate thread]

Suresh14
Level 2
Naperville, IL

@Maryrose7

We have many listings around Chicagoland and for this reason, we use Vivint Smart Home system [link hidden]

Why Vivint Smart Home?

- I understand your uncomfortableness to pass keycode, We pass keycode 4hours before check-in time or after 11AM(not to conflict with the current guest) and also delete the code after checkout. This way one the guest who is booked with govt photo id can get in. This way it avoids all kind of trouble. 

- Hire a VA who wait for guest in and see thru doorbell camera and pay VA per check-in basis. 

- You can pass keycode and ask check-in between 9 PM to 12 AM (or any time before 11 AM) using door keycode.

- You can see who checked in from your Apple watch or phone or web by VA or later review it.

- If needed, hire VA and they will do open it remotely ( you can hire per check-in basis).

- Dynamically generate keycode for each guest. 

- If need, keep multiple deadbolts aka door access and only give the access code to guest's room. This way you're secure.

- This is a one-time investment but bring more business to you. 

- Many more

When get chance I will make a video on how I do it or PM for a demo. 

Thanks,

Suresh

Superhost, Chicago, IL

NOTE: I am a reseller for Vivint Home System

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Maryrose7: Between flight delays, traffic delays and who knows what else some plans just don't "go to plan" and people will show up late at night. It doesn't happen to us all the time but it does happen.

We use a digital keypad lock. We add the guests last four digits of their cell phone (or whatever number is listed on theri account) so they won't foget the number and when they leave we delete the code. No copied keys, no lost keys, no confusion.

There are also smart locks that will notify you when the code is used or the door is opened. Not sure if that would help rememdy the situation a little.