Guests check in early at 4am & walk in on current guests

Jason856
Level 2
Lafayette, LA

Guests check in early at 4am & walk in on current guests

Hi community I am wondering if anyone out there has experienced a similar situation and might be able to give me an idea of how Airbnb has handled these types of things in the past. I'm going to give a timeline of events just so that things hopefully make sense and would certainly welcome any input if you have had similar situations. 

For the sake of keeping things clear Guest A is the earlier reservation and Guest B is the later reservation (who attemped to check-in 11 hours early)

3:05am - Guest B messages to say they would like to check in early .

4:23am - I received message from Guest A asking if we had entered the Airbnb 10-15 minutes previous to this time

4:31am - missed call from unknown number (later learned it was Guest B)

4:33am - called back guest B twice and learned that they did in fact walk in early to the Airbnb and thought that because they had the code they were welcome to let themselves in whenever (our policy clearly says 3pm check-in)

4:40am - messaged Guest A to let them know that it was a guest who was attempting to check in early, that I let them know this was not acceptable, and that I would be reaching out to Airbnb

4:45am - I called Airbnb and spoke with a "case manager" and explained the situation .They basically said that all they can do is message Guest B and explain to them our check-in time, and I had to basically beg for them to message Guest A to let them know what happened (basically the same message that I already sent). 

I left that phone call a bit frustrated and had two major issues with the response of the Airbnb representative in my eyes. #1 The manager didn't seem to think it was necessary to reach out to Guest A, let them know that this was something Airbnb was concerned about, the possibility of them being upset, uncomfortable, security, etc .#2 The Airbnb representative didn't seem to think that there should be anything communicated to Guest B other than to explain our check-in time and that there shouldn't be any reprocussions for someone who blatantly ignores and violates our policies. In my eyes this is an incident that is extremely serious for all parties and should be taken much more seriously. 

I would certainly welcome any thoughts

15 Replies 15
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Jason856 

OMG! What a nightmare for Guest A and you. First and foremost, can you change codes between guests? That would help solve part of the problem. And if not, maybe invest in a lock that will allow you to remotely switch out codes! My codes are switched out between guests and don't become active until check-in time.

In this case, I wouldn't depend on CS to speak with the guests. I would reach out and explain the situation to Guest A and apologize profusely (even though it's not your fault).

Just WTF was Guest B thinking? And what did he/she end up doing/where are they now?

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Jason856Definitely change your policies around door codes. Schlage makes an excellent lock system where you can change codes between guests. Without this type of system, you're opening yourself up to this happening again. 

Doesn't make guest B right at all, but definitely protect yourself and your guests. Airbnb's response does not seem appropriate for the situation: I think they should have taken a much harder line with the guest. 

@Jason856  I agree with @Alexandra316 and @Suzanne302 here; the door code system is not safe for your guests if the codes aren't changed between every reservation.

While it might have been nice for Airbnb to reach out to Guest A, the guest is ultimately your customer more than they are Airbnb's. The host is the sole party responsible for managing check-ins and securing the property, and on occasions like this it beehoves the host to take full responsibility for the customer care. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Jason856, , a similar situation happened to me last month but at 4pm, not 4am, and luckily we did not need to involve Airbnb. This is a very serious issue in my eyes (despite Aribnbs lack of concern in your case.) Guests need to know that their security and privacy is taken seriously. I agree with @Alexandra316. You need a different method of giving guests the door codes. I give each one of my guests their own personalized 4 digit code (the last 4 digits of their cell phone #.) I do not program the code until the space is ready for that guest (at this point I also deactivate the previous guests code.) So in my case, Guest B tried to get in but couldn't because only Guest A's code worked.

This still doesn't prevent guests from showing up whenever they want though (whether they can get in or not.) Whenever a guest mentions early check-in, I always tell them that I have other guests staying the night before, even if I don't. I try to make it clear to them that there is only ONE apartment and it could be booked immediately before and after their stay. Anything to show them that my space IS like a hotel where standard check in and check out times apply.

@Jason856 

Well...... I honestly have to say I'm not surprised about Airbnb's response/reaction about saying they do not think it necessary to contact Guest A simply because as a host it's your responsibility to apologize. Security and guest safety for your listing is the host's responsibility, not Airbnb's. Imo, it is extremely dangerous to have the same passcode for multiple consecutive guests..... I'd be shocked+upset+absolutely furious at the HOST for thinking it's okay for a whole bunch of past and future guests to have the entry passcode and listing address, making it possible for an entire crowd of random strangers to enter at anytime or just show up and have unlimited access to the house. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Jason856 absolutely not ok for your lock to let people in at times that it shouldn't. Address this immediately.

I'd be profusely apologizing to Guest A, offering back money, whatever it takes to make it up to them. This is a failure on your part and they'll have every right to ask for money, write a really bad review, etc. (if guest B or some other random person took it upon themselves to show up and attempt entry -bother current guests, then that isn't your fault, but you making it so that someone else could open the door while they're in residence is your fault and a big deal!)

I'd cancel guest B and not host them! Bad guests!

But, since it's within 24 hours of their arrival then they'll still be allowed to review you, so keep that in mind.

As much as I usually side against Airbnb, the unscrupulous dogs that they are, there is absolutely no reason to be sending guests a code to the house before check-in time. Some guests barely read English, some just don't bother reading at all. Some geniuses think booking at 12:01 am means you can show up right away.

Never send out a door code before the hour of check-in, begging for disasters like this.

@Tony134  Well, if I were a guest I'd want the door code well in advance, not just before check-in. That's too much reliance on technology working like it should, and believe it or not, not everyone uses a smart phone and the app.

But just because a host sent me a door code a week ahead of time, there's no reason for the host to actually change the code to that one until just before check-in.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Agreeing with everyone here, @Jason856 . From the other side, I stayed as a guest at a place that (I learned while there) has had the same door code for five years! Big urban centre, very popular, with hundreds of past guests - and future ones like your early-arrivers - who can just walk in whenever. 

Terrifying.

The hosts don't think it is a problem, they are too busy to change codes, etc., and so I won't be going back, no matter how convenient. 

If it is at all possible, moving forward, change that door code between guests. My system here is Weiser, and it works very well. Master code for me, and a changed code for every guest. Frequent use, but need to change batteries only once a year. I have stayed with hosts who use August Lock. It works remotely, so there is that option, too.

But back to today. It sounds like you are doing all you can with the present nightmare. How frustrating!

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Jason856  

I worry one day, I may have the same awful situation on my hands too.

Sometimes I don't change codes between guests. I'll probably get a lock I can change via the internet, because physically changing the code is too time consuming, I'll probably get a lock I can change via the internet. However, I hate change and fear complications and breakdown at 3:00 am. 

@Jason108  Here is our problem. 

Host: Checkin is at 2:00 pm

Guest: OK

Host: Here is the key. (so you can now checkin)

Guest: Great!

Our actions contradict our words. Once we give them the keys, we are saying "checkin anytime"

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Jason856 I agree with almost all the other hosts here. I would absolutely cancel Guest B - bad guests, and never mind them reviewing you even when cancelled. I'd not trust them in  my property. I have the Schlage keypad code and yes, you have to change codes - but it's a must! Security is #1....and Airbnb shold make that cancellation NO problem for you. keep us posted. best, Clara

Jason856
Level 2
Lafayette, LA

Hey thanks everyone for the replies and so so sorry for the delay. For those using wifi enabaled locks to change the codes, do any of you have a recommended model that you like? We have an electronic lock but not with that capability so I would welcome another recommendation (we change the code regularly as well). Thanks!

@Jason0

my lock is electronic but not remote changeable. Removing the last guest’s code is my first changeover job (had a guest walk in to return something once while I was scrubbing the shower, scared the daylights out of me!) and setting the new guest’s code is my last changeover job. 

If I needed to set codes early then I wouldn’t provide the code until I was ok with the guest entering the space. (But that doesn’t address old guests still having access)

@Jason856We use the Schlage Sense Century model paired with a Wink hub, and we've found it works very well. I've also purchased the Camelot model from them, which also works perfectly. The appearance is different, but the performance is the same,