Guests moved the bed

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Guests moved the bed

So, I found out that the guests who checked out today moved the bed in the bedroom. Please note that 1. The bed frame is the big heavy one with posts (I do not even know why they did it nor how they did it) and 2. It is on a carpet. I need help from my husband to put it back to where it was. I have in my house rules that guests are not allowed to move furniture. Anybody else have experienced this? Since most likely we will not figure out until they check-out, how do you handle it? Just move it back, deal with it, and write either in public or private review? I know that I have seen other host who charge for "arranging back" furniture.. I might consider this for bigger item like this bed as it adds unnecessary work for me because the guest is being irresponsible.

6 Replies 6
Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

Oh, gosh @Farah1... Now you have me adding to my "preparation-before-I-list-my-property" list...

It now reads: "Go to Orchard Supply. Buy lock with cable. Attach lock to wall. Attach cable to bed frame!"

You are adding to my workload! 😂

Seriously, what the heck? I mean who would do that? I would note in their review that they moved furniture in the room. It would help other hosts. Is this something to simply let go? I don't know.

Personally when *if* this happens to me, I will post it in the review. If anything that would add major work to my turnover, I will state it did that. If it doesn't - I will usually let it go. This - to me - would fall under the "added major work to my turnover"

@Jann3 I know! That was exactly what came to my mind, who would do that? I do not stay at other people's house, move around furniture (and this is not even a night stand or a chair, it is a bed!) and then left. For the entire unit that I have, I understand if they need to move the coffee table for guests of 3 or 4 because they need to pull out the 3rd bed, but even then, most of the time guests put the coffee table back to where it was. I think I am going to write it in the review as you mentioned that this add major work to my turnover. Luckily, my husband is working from home today. Otherwise, I don't know how am I suppose to move back the bed by myself ha ha...

I think I would let go if it is something minor, let's say move a nightstand (I have small and light nighstands). For a bed? I'm not sure...

I usually let go if it is the coffee table after a 3/4 guests stay, or something else that is minor. This is the first time in 4 years of hosting that someone move the whole bed. 😂

I *will* admit to this. I once stayed at the Marriott in San Francisco. I had a suite where they'd placed ALL THE FURNITURE on walls on a rectange room. So imagine a room 30-40' wide, and 15' from entrance door to the window (with a FANTASTIC downtown view). Now: imagine every stick of furniture in the room against the walls. Desk, bureau, sofa, chair, ALL end-tables, armoire...and the king size bed against the 15' wall facing out into the room. The only thing that wasn't? The coffee table. It was in front of sofa. You couldn't see TV from the bed OR the couch or the chair. The couch was NEXT TO THE TV armoire on the same wall - as was the chair! 

In this case, being the good designer that I am *not*, I took photos, redesigned the room for them, called the hotel manager to my room, and showed him the before and after.

You wouldn't believe it: he said We have 39 floors... 35 of them have this one room in this one location on the floorplan...and I will have them all set up like this! Do you want a job? 😂

Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

Is it a Feng Shui thing?

@Ali40 that came to my mind, but still not a cool thing to do. At least move it back before they leave, they are not going to sleep there anymore anyway...

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

Late in the game here on three year old post, but I've had four cases where people moved furniture.  Two were just odd people but the two others were people deliberately looking for problems in order to ask for a discount on the room (which I did not give).  It was the other two, though, who left me in confusion since there was no real reason for them to move the furniture.