Guests refuse to pay extra person fee and Airbnb dont support the host

Danny241
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Guests refuse to pay extra person fee and Airbnb dont support the host

I've had a number of occasions now where guests book for one person and then have more people staying and Airbnb does nothing to support the host.

Today I had a guest due to check in, they said in messages that the booking was for a couple, husband and wife, but only booked the property for one person. Oh and dog too even though I have a not pet policy.  I forwarded the rate adjustment and they refused it. I asked Airbnb support to help. 

Instead of helping me they allowed the guest to cancel on the day of check in with a full refund, I've lost income and had the property blocked out because of this booking.

This happens so often that people lie to cheat the book rate and Airbnb does nothing to support the host.

4 Replies 4

Danny, Sorry to hear this. If you can still write a review for this guest, make sure to write an honest review about it so other hosts will think twice before accepting them, and they will be more honest if trying to book with other host. 

Charmian0
Level 1
Oxnard, CA

I have a moderate refund policy so they would not have got all of their money back

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Danny241

so guests intended to break your house rules by bringing a pet, didn't include all people in the booking and Airbnb support canceled on your behalf? GREAT!  Airbnb is going against its own TOS!  No wonder so many hosts are leaving ... 😞

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

I've had a smiliar thing happen with a couple coming and only booking for one person.  I don't even charge for the extra person.  I asked all 3 bookings to agree to update the reservation with the correct number of guests (for liability).  Two had no problem.  The other cancelled instead, so I'll count that as a blessing.  I've since updated my cancellatioin policy to "strict" (so I don't lose money) and my house rules to include "only those booked may stay" (so I have recourse from support, maybe, these days who knows) if they show up with more.