HELP!! We are in an Airbnb technical nightmare!

HELP!! We are in an Airbnb technical nightmare!

Hi everyone,

Some of you may have met us already, but for those who haven't, we are relatively new hosts (less than one month) living in Hong Kong who have a villa in southern Portugal listed on Airbnb.

When we began hosting, we were really excited, especially because we had started so late in peak season but our listing garnered a lot of interest anyway. Then, about two weeks ago, we experienced the first of a series of SERIOUS technical headaches with the Airbnb site, and their support team has done very, very little to resolve these other than apologised and promised to "investigate."

Before I list our problems, let me clarify a few things straight off. We don't use Smart Pricing and have never once turned it on, even out of curiosity. We don't use any external software tools like Beyond Pricing or PriceLabs. And we do almost all of our listing arrangements on a fairly new MacBook using Safari--which may or may not matter, but I'll explain later why I mention this.

So, here's what happened, in chronological order:

1) About two weeks ago, a friend from France texted me on WhatsApp to ask me if some dates in early September were available. I said, "Yes, that whole period is mostly booked, but the three days you mentioned are available." She said, "That's what I thought you had told me, but I just checked on my phone and they are blocked."

I immediately checked our listing, and lo and behold, they were showing as available! So, I asked her to send me a screenshot, and then I emailed Airbnb support, showing them the screenshot as evidence as well as a screenshot from our side showing that the dates were listed as available. I also explained that we were possibly going to lose this booking, and maybe some others, because of this.

The Airbnb rep who replied told me that this might be due to a glitch with their app, in which some people who use iPhones can't always see available listings. I then pointed out to her that many people these days ONLY uses phones for such things as room bookings, and I asked them if they could please repair this for us, as we would be losing potential earnings.

Airbnb promised to "investigate" the matter...and that was the last we ever heard from them on it. (And yes, our friend did book another place--because ours was officially unavailable...)

2) About a week ago, our housing manager in Portugal, who is also an Airbnb host, texted me to ask why all of next year was showing as not available, but most of the month of August was open--and that the prices were all over the place, ranging from as low as €95 per night to as high as €593 per night! 

I told her that that was impossible, since we only have our availability set to six months ahead. But when I went on to look at our calendar, sure enough, everything after the six month mark was showing as blocked EXCEPT for next August--and there it was, staring me right in the face, with all of these crazy prices showing.

Again, we took a screenshot and contacted Airbnb, and they promised to "investigate." And once again, absolutely nothing happened.

We tried re-setting the prices to a normal level, but then the next day, they would go right back to crazy prices again. And we kept sending screenshots and would get the occasional reply with a promise to look into the matter, but nothing was ever done. I mean, nothing.

Finally, we figured out that if we just manually blocked the month, then people wouldn't be able see it. And we did that, and also re-set the prices--but each day, the prices would go back to their crazy levels (even if we were the only ones who could see them).

3) Our last Airbnb technical problem is the most serious of all. Right around the time that the mystery August openings started appearing, our prices for the coming months started being automatically reset--and almost always at prices MUCH lower than what he had set them at. 

We caught this simply because we had now become aware that some strange things were happening with our listing, and so my wife and our house manager began checking it periodically on their phones, as if they were customers. And every single day, at least once, our prices would get changed after I had set them back to normal, and the range of prices would be all over the place.

What makes this especially strange is that we keep our prices pretty stable for most months. For instance, except for an increase over Christmas and New Year, we had no variance in pricing at all listed between November 1 and February 28. But each and every day, the prices would be re-set by Airbnb, and the range between the highs and the lows would always be incredible!

Needless to say, I was contacting Airbnb support on a daily basis, with screenshots being sent each time as evidence. For a few days, I had a nice young lady representative who seemed to be trying to help. She did acknowledge that we hadn't used Smart Pricing or any external software to adjust our prices, and she said that they couldn't find any bugs. So, she turned it over to their technical support and I was told they were "investigating"...

Well everyone, if you've been following this story up to this point, you can guess the rest...

Nothing was done. Again.

And realise that in the meantime, I was trying every home remedy you could think of to fix this. I tried using a different browser (Chrome instead of Safari, as one of the reps had recommended). I tried emptying the cache and clearing the browsing history. I tried setting the prices on my phone instead of my computer. I tried setting the prices one day at a time instead of for multiple days at a time.

Absolutely nothing has worked.

And then yesterday, our worst fear came true. While we were sleeping in here in Hong Kong, the prices were yet again reset by Airbnb to levels as low as 45% less on some days than we had been asking--and some guests in France saw this incredibly low price in October and booked our room for a week. 

My wife and I both awoke to see this, and of course, we weren't happy. But we had to go to work, and so I immediately wrote to Airbnb explaining the situation and telling them that we needed help right away. And guess what? The whole day went by, and no reply. Hours were expiring on the guest's 24-hour booking request, and Airbnb support completely ignored us.

So last night, I finally called them. I was on the phone with an agent for well over an hour, and while she seemed like she was trying to help, she pretty well made it clear that Airbnb was not going to take any responsibility for this. Worse, she told me that I could not provide any evidence to prove that their site had been resetting the prices, because the screenshots that I claimed that I had sent WERE NOT SHOWING IN THE SUPPORT INBOX!

I told her that she must be mistaken, that I was looking right at the inbox and could see several days of screenshots that had been sent to them--but she insisted that she couldn't see them on her end.

So, I told her that I had kept copies of the screenshots and could send them again, and she said, "No, you don't want to do that. The last thing that technical support wants to see is a bunch of confusing pictures."

You can all guess how this turned out. Airbnb was simply not going to accept any responsibility or do anything to help us. And so, we were given a simple choice: decline this booking as new hosts, which we knew would negatively affect our placement as well as our chances of advancing to Superhost; or accept this booking at a dramatically reduced price, and eat the financial loss.

And so, we chose the latter. But we weren't happy about it. Then, to add even more salt to the wound, we awoke this morning to find that our prices had again been re-set lower. We had followed all of the advice from the Airbnb agent I had spoken to on the phone about how we might be able to stop this from happening, and yet, it happened again--and we are helpless to do anything to stop it.

Okay everyone, so that's our nightmare. Sorry for the long story, but it has been a very miserable and stressful couple of weeks. We cannot seem to find any resolution for this, but what is worse is that we cannot get over how Airbnb support has completely abandoned us. 

If anyone has ANY suggestions on what we can do here, we would surely welcome them. Truly and sincerely. And thank you in advance, both for your advice and for suffering through this long tale (though if you really do think that that was suffering, then you should try living it on a daily basis...)

Bless your hearts, fellow hosts. Even if you don't reply, thanks a lot for reading. 

38 Replies 38
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Wayne84 

I've been in contact with Customer Services with ongoing IT challenges with not been able to access my listing & account readily like a reasonable person should be able, provided details & feedback what the issues are, now C/S can't so much as find my details in there system...

Would you please be so Kind to follow up on it & fix up these issues?

I've done the usual cleared cache etc, changed password - bc in part of the Global Outage a month or so back & now it just keeps "rolling in a loop" on the "Enhanced Cleaning & Mask" steps... This is  on my phone which I'm very reliant on keeping in touch with as  computer access isn't always practicable.

The "Rolling in loop black or teal green dots"  is exactly the same annoyances many of us have when trying to add Photo ID verification which is Optional.

Please bear in mind that Rolling loops are also horrible for people who have various Medical conditions...

Thanks in advance

Central To All Home & Location, Remuera, Auckland, New Zealand 

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

@Rich-and-Yan0: Also: @Wayne84 (if you are who you say you are) & @Laura_C 

Just thought I'd double check your listing this morning.

I see that your calendar is showing as blocked off from 4 December through Feb. 1. Not sure if you did that, or if it's another bug, but wanted to give you a head's up.

Pricing in November is still 161 (CAD)/night, but February is showing for me as variable from 108 - 174/night, depending on different  reservation starts. These are all for 3 night reservations. If I do a week-long stay, the price increases, in spite of the note on your calendar that suggests you offer a 15% weekly discount. The pricing drops into the 120's in March.

So, yeah - it's still screwed up, I'm sorry to say.

Can't imagine the level of frustration you must be feeling, nor the helplessness and loss of control. Really hope this gets sorted before you lose faith completely and bail on the platform.

@Jennifer1421 Thanks for following up on this. @Wayne84 seems like he really wants to help us, and he sent a very thorough email asking the kinds of questions that we wish someone had asked us weeks ago. Let's see what comes of it. 

Anyway, it's very sweet of you to check and see if our prices had changed.

But guess what? They did! Sometime today, between 9 am and 1 pm, Hong Kong time, they went back into wonky-wonky land. I took a couple of calendar screenshots with my phone, which I'll attach here in a minute, and then I set the prices back again. I also changed the calendar to three months, because it's too much for us to manage changing six months back every single day when I'm also working two jobs here and my wife is working 10-hour days. (But hey, look at February and March 2020--they've reappeared as available, when everything around them is blocked! Go figure!)

So we're trying to do everything we can. In addition to the limitation on the booking availability that I just mentioned, we also checked our account not long ago to see if anyone else has access. They don't, but we changed our password again, just to be safe. We also have a good idea of when the price is being changed on us every day, and so now we're going to watch that carefully so that we can change it back immediately. And finally, we're going to turn off Instant Booking tonight, so that we can take that out of the equation.

Crazy, eh? Who would have thought that the real work to hosting on Airbnb is making sure that you don't get ripped off....

Thanks again for the advice, and for watching our backs. That means a lot to us. 🙂

@Rich-and-Yan0 

I am sorry your trouble isn't over yet but I am happy you were not hacked 🙂

Us, too. In fact, @Wayne84 (the CS rep) and I both looked over the account, and we couldn't find any evidence of anyone else having had access to it. But thanks again--that was a very real possibility that we just hadn't considered.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 @Helen3 @Jennifer1421 @Sarah977 and everyone else in this thread, we are pleased to report that after more than two weeks of dealing with these headaches, we may have finally made progress with one of the three. 

Today, for the first time in weeks, our prices remained the same. We are not sure exactly why, as we have been trying every single suggestion that the hosting community has given us, as well as some recommendations from the two past CS agents we have been dealing with, to remedy this issue. One agent in particular has been very communicative and has helped us narrow down the possibilities of how this might have been happening--including the possibility of a third party doing this when we had previously thought that any chances of such a thing happening had been closed off. 

Anyway, we're keeping our fingers crossed that this is the end of that particular aspect of this crazy drama. Now, we have to work on the other two problems: guests not being able to see our availability on weeks we have open, and whole months appearing available next year when we only have our availability on the calendar set to three months ahead. But that same agent has promised to look at these as well, and I must say, after weeks of us dealing with CS people who were either completely unhelpful or who were polite-but-useless, it was like a breath of fresh air to find this guy.

Thank you, one and all, for your suggestions and support. Something that somebody said seems to have worked, because we honestly tried everything. Let's hope that we can keep this ball rolling...

We will let you all know if we get any more good news on the other two fronts. Thank you again. 🙂

Rich & Yan

@Rich-and-Yan0 

good news, fingers crossed, keep us posted

Jerani0
Level 2
Stevenson, WA

Change your Airbnb password first. What about creating a duplicate listing and asking your booked guests to cancel on the first reservation and rebook on the new listing? I don’t know if it’s possible or whether it would work but it’s worth a try.

David and Jerani
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Christina1204  Stop spamming this forum. Advertising isn't allowed.