Happy St. George's day

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

Happy St. George's day

St_George_by_Raphael.jpg

The day of St. George (Gergiovden) is celebrated in my country annually on 6th of May. It is an official state holiday, as well as “Day of bravery and the army”, “Day of the shepherd”, a church holiday and a name day for the people sharing the saint’s name.

Gergiovden is the most celebrated name day here- thousands of people bearing the saint’s name or a derivative of it.

In  cultural calendar Gergiovden is one of the biggest holidays. It is connected with a lot of rituals for obtaining health and fruitfulness for the people, animals and fields.

About the ancient tradition:

In the early morning , before the roosters awake, people go outside in a field or meadow and “bath” in the morning dew. It is believed that in this time of year the morning dew is “blessed” and whoever baths in it will be healthy. The morning dew will also cure disease and will make the pregnancy easier. Except in the dew, bathing in natural springs on this day is also beneficial.

Another ritual related to the morning bathing in dew or spring water is gathering and taking the water home. It is believed that this water has great healing power.

On the way back from the bathing, people gather fresh green plants, which they use to decorate the doors of their houses, stalls and pens, themselves and even their cattle. Herbs are also gathered that morning because it is believed that they have a magic curing power.

To aid the fruitfulness of the fields, the land owners take the first coloured red egg from Easter and walk with it around the field, finally burying it in the middle. They do likewise in the pens and stalls.

The most important ritual on Gergiovden is, without a doubt, the sacrificial lamb. If a family doesn’t slaughter a lamb on that day they are considered out of the faith and out of the community.

Usually, the lamb is roasted whole, and after cooking, it is brought to the church to be sanctified.

In small villages, the feast is usually for the whole community. It is done on a green filed near a church. After sanctifying the field people bring the cooked lambs, ritual breads made with the dew water gathered at morning, fresh milk, cheese, yogurt, fresh garlic and so on.

The feast must be joyful. People dance different traditional dances and sing  religious songs which tell the story of St. George and the dragon.

Nowadays, of course, people don’t keep all of the traditions connected with Gergiovden. Having some lamb (bought at the supermarket and home cooked) and a feast (with family and friends) is how people celebrate in the modern age. And that is the core of the holiday.

10 Replies 10
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Dimitar27 ,

Super interesting and thank you for sharing something I had no knowledge about (always love to learn about other countries traditions and cultures!)! We celebrated St George's day on April 23rd here in England. Do you know if it's different George's (our also famously slew a dragon.)

Thanks

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

The same St. George.

Bulgaria, Georgia, Russia, North Macedonia, Serbia and Montenegro are celebrating the St.George's day on different date. One exception, made by the church, because ...it's because of the lambs. 🙂

If the St.George's day is on April 23, there is a big possibility for the date to be somewhere between the Lent days, when meat is not allowed. In this case, an ancient pre-Christian tradition is combined with the Christian holiday. The name George is based on the Greek word "georgos" (γεωργός), meaning "farmer".

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Dimitar27 

I enjoyed reading your post. I would need to remember this date and your location to be part of your traditional celebrations somewhere, some time in the future.

This Gergiovden we are all fighting dragons.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Dimitar27 , well Dimitar, it sounds like a great tradition, celebrating Saints has really fallen out of practice here in the USA other than Valentine, and Patrick, Love and boozing are huge $$$$ !  Ive never bathed in Dew before , gonna have to give it a try, wonder how it works on Covid?     I like Lamb Ok but probably would prefer a BBQ pig substitution if possible!  Thanks for sharing this, have a great St George day!  Stay well, JR

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Dimitar27 

I had no idea that St George's Day was commemorated in different dates & months in different countries.

It must be something to do which calendar was used  at the time.

Must have a look in my Bible, Papers Past NZ to see what crops  up.

The morning dew/ mist is delightful, as is  nightfall when in open places.

Vonnie10
Level 1
Kalispell, MT

Thanks @Dimitar27 for sharing this important day in your cultural heritage.  It's fascinating to hear from hosts around the world.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Dimitar27 

Not only is your traditional Gergiovden so interesting, it inspired to me to consider local events - which to us are quite 'normal' but to visitors could be something special. I'm aware that theres lots of interest in tradition around where we live and host, and that I am not as knowledgeable about it as I should be. There would be so many traditions to see at all times of year, but linking a date to a tradition would make an interesting marketing proposition for guests. I'm sure other hosts might be considering this too, and it would be a useful addition to the exclusivity of any accommodation in their promotion of local customs.

You may yourself @Dimitar27 consider the promotion of 'Gergiovden' and 'bathing in dew' next year? It would certainly be an interesting experience for any guest, but like most things, takes a little planning beforehand.

@Vonnie10 @Helen427 @Melodie-And-John0 @Stephanie 

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0  Most of the ancient traditions are completely died-out these days. Like everywhere in the world, I think. The rhythm of the city life is really cruel to them.

@Dimitar27 

It's strange how tradition lifts the spirits. We were in Zaragoza in Spain, visiting during the tuna festival amidst a Manchester United and Barcelona football match. The crowds were immense, but the festival changed the mood and had football supporters dancing in the square together, along with the procession.  We were slightly worried, but the level of good humoured banter seemed to carry the day and the crowd was carried by the tradition. Likewise, touring Italy, a visit to Matera in the south where the original cave homes remain and a 'city' of  'large village stature' remains where homes are built into and amongst caves. A completely 'magical' experience - again 'traditional'. The hotel were dumbfounded when we refused their 'suite' to stay in their cave room up a rickety ladder which lead to an attic room where you needed to crawl beneath the roof beams to access the bed! (Probably were dreading the reviews!) 🙂

I really don't understand how the rhythm of the city could beat something like that, and those 'old' experiences or traditions certainly need to be retained and celebrated more.

Most of the traditions are connected somehow with the nature and the nature's lifecycle. Far from the nature- far from the traditions. Now they call it "Cultural heritage". 100 years ago it's  been the people's daily life.