Home Automation for Airbnb hosts (Home Assist, custom solutions) #Domotics #HomeAutomation

Damir0
Level 10
Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Home Automation for Airbnb hosts (Home Assist, custom solutions) #Domotics #HomeAutomation

Hello, everyone!

Are you using technology to help you automate some parts of hosting on Airbnb? Can you share your experiences, best practices? What works and what doesn't?

I'm all ears! 😉

What is Home Automation?

Wherever you go, there you are.
80 Replies 80

maybe pair the august door lock with the keypad is a solution?

I have a nest in my airbnb. I like that I can pre-set the place before my guests arrive.   I don't find that folks abuse it, but if there is more than one family, they can end up haveing thermostat wars (that happened).  So, I'm positng a sign to give them limits of where to put the thermostat. 

August works great for us personally, but it is difficult for the guests to download the app, create a login, take a picture, get an email verificaiton and a text verfication and finally be able to use the lock.

I usually greet them and go through the whole process with them.....I thought it was integrated to airbnb and that airbnb would send them the key and perhaps this would be more seemless....but I am not seeing that yet.

Damir0
Level 10

@Mary31@Stuart4@Maria-Lurdes0@Lizzie@Rachel18

No, the August Door Lock (and other products) are not integrated into Airbnb. Only the Lockstate RemoteLock LS-6i Wifi Enabled Lock is supported by Airbnb. (Host Assist)

Schermafbeelding 2016-02-14 om 02.39.17.png

I think it is by far the most advanced smart lock, yet. It's not the prettiest app and user dashboard but works well. 

Stuart4
Level 3
Hove, United Kingdom

Hey Damir,

thanks for the positive review of the Remotelock 6i. I was not aware the August lock did not integrate with airbnb. Of course the August is a simple deadbolt, whereas the Remotelock 6i is a mortise lock, far better for accommodation providers.

Just to let everyone know, the dashboard portal and app are about to be updated with a complete new fresh look. The existing interface is 3 years old and a bit dated. 

kind regards,

Stuart

Damir0
Level 10

Hi @Stuart4,

I didn't mention that website for the official LockState EU distributor SmartLock can be found here (saves you the import taxes and costs ;-)) or below:

http://www.smartlock.co.uk/

@Stuart4, I'll be in touch about additional products, mainly because I own an apartment on 3rd floor, access is through a video-intercom. So how to implement LockState tech into the main entrance (1) of the building? 

Thank you guys fo rthe shares.

I have gone through same questions over and over reading amazon , alibaba and all these websites for practical answers to practical cases.

NEST , SmartLocks are very elegant solutions. Yet the price is pretty important ( 500 USD for one lock) .

I  use following to make my host life efficient:

1-) Keysafes . Fantastic invention. It is worth just 17 USD + - ;

2-) Schlage lock ( connected lock 140 USD )  Smartthings hub ( 99 USD) + Smart App ( 15 USD) :Which comes even less than third of a SmartLock adverites solution. Very robust and sends real time notification too about when guests checkin, or door remained unlocked, ...etc.

Remain to find soluiton for smoke detector / gaz detector. NEST have sugestions at 100 USD, while regular pricing is 7  USD ( not connected). Intermediate solution would be to use roost ( 35 USD).

The good news is that there are lots of solutiosn out there. Its all about expectations, elegance, design

Hakem,

Stuart4
Level 3
Hove, United Kingdom

Hey Damir,

Lockstate offer the Remotelock ACS, which is designed for communal doors to apartment buildings. It is very similar to an existing keypad entry system, connected to a mag lock or electric strike, where the keypad is located on the building next to the door. The big difference is that the control box is connected to your router so that it can be managed online through our cloud portal.  

So lets say you have 3 apartments in a building with a main door. Each of the apartments has a Remotelock 6i keypad lock, when you create a guest code for any of the apartments, the same code gets sent to the main door, so the guest needs only 1 code to access both doors. When the code expires so does the access. 

If the building already has a keypad access system, swapping out for the ACS is fairly easy. I am not sure about integrating with intercom systems though. I don't suppose the intercom is connected to the internet?

kind regards,

Stuart

Damir0
Level 10

Hi @Stuart4,

Thank you for your update and sharing your knowledge. I've had a look at the ACS, it's a remarkably unique product. Before I purchase one of these, I need to make sure it's compatible. Maybe this is better to talk about by phone, or email. 

Its not an intercom, it seems to be an ordinary videophone. Isn't there a workaround for these kind of devices. I mean, when a guest rings the building door on my apartment button (D), I pick up the horn of the videophone and see the guest through the camera. Pressing a "key" button opens the building door. Since you need to answer, isn't there like a phone number I could route the videophone to, or connect it to the ACS. Maybe you could help me out in this search, I'm sure there are more guests who host listing in this type of situation. (Important: there is no keypad at building entrance. Only the buzzer/camera and the door of course.)

I have a "Platea Golmar" videophone installed. That's all I know. Adjusting my own apartment entrance is not the issue, rather the main building entrance, which serves 7 other apartments. 

I hope we can figure this out somehow.

Thank you for all the efforts!

Damir0
Level 10

Hi @Stuart4,

I've found more information on my videophone, technical as well.

Model: Golmar Platea UNO 

Interesting thing is that this company offers Entry Systems, including keypad accessible variants, and proximity keys / tags. I think we will find a solution, however, I need your assistance.

Below my model (in my apartment)

Platea1.jpg

There are many manual etc. I don't know what would be best. I can make pictures of the building entrance entry system if that would help?

I also found this website: 

http://www.alphacommunications.com/

I think the PDF (I shared the English Manual I found) which you can download via the link below is a step forward:

http://1drv.ms/1Q7xqEs

Small steps....

Stuart4
Level 3
Hove, United Kingdom

Hello Damir,

Hi Damir,

I have been looking into this, I have fired off an email to Golmar. Some intercom systems, at the main entrance door, also have a keypad that enables anyone with a valid code to enter. Some including Golmar offer the keypad component as an add-on accessory.

Adding a keypad would be the simplest solution, then you would simply give your guests this code, you could change the code periodically. Of the companies I have spoken to, none seem to have the ability to change the codes remotely. 

You could probably upgrade the Plateau Uno to one with a keypad but of course this might not be an option with the building owner. 

There is another possible solution, http://www.onefinestay.com/sherlock/  but as I understand it, you need to install a control box in the reception area and connect this to a broadband router, plus the guest needs to download an app.

Can you get a picture of the Golmar unit at the main door?

thanks, Stuart
Damir0
Level 10

Hi @Stuart4,

Thank you for all the research. I think the Plateau upgrade kit would be perfect and the building owner could very well agree to that. I'll send you pictures of the entrance unit as soon as I am around my apartment, could be that it will be Monday, I do have guests now and I'm in The Hague. 

I'll look into Sherlock later today. I'll do my best to get the pictures ASAP. Do you want me to post them here, send you a private sharelink or send you an email?

Stuart4
Level 3
Hove, United Kingdom

Hi @Damir0

send them to ***

also check out getmymonkeynow.com 

thanks, Stuart

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Stuart4,

Lovely to meet you. It is great to see you sharing your knowledge here and having a good discussion around different models. I do find it really interesting all the different gadgets you can get. 🙂

As you may have noticed I have edited your email address out of your post above, this is for safety as this is publically visible. 

I hope this is fine with you.

Thanks so much.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Damir0
Level 10

Hi @Lizzie@Stuart4,

I noticed the change indeed, (no worries, I have the email address). @Lizzie What do you mean that his email is publicly visible here? 

I hope these here posts are not public to non community users. I'm signed in, so seeing the address should be ok, right? Or is it more in perspective of general Airbnb Community Center policy's? (Not allowed to show your real email address?)

How should @Stuart4 have notified me of his email address or contact details otherwise? He's helping out here. At least for now, there is no private messaging functionality built in, there is no other way than posting it "publicly" in the corresponding thread. 

Could you please inform us on why these edits make sense, so we can better understand? Feels Secretive in a way now, maybe I missed something.