Host Abuse

Tony134
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

Host Abuse

So I have been an AirBnB host for about two months.  I have been very commercial about it, and have done just over a 100 bookings.  I've noticed a trend that is starting to frustrate the heck out of me as an AirBnB host, and thought I would share my two issues with this trend.

While this is maybe 1 out of 7 or 8 guests, this 1 or 7 or 8 guests usually does not read my listing, and then is unhappy about following house rules or something that was clearly in the listing.  Some of these guests will ignore house rules entirely, and then Hit Me Hardon the rating for having the AUDACITY to ask them to follow the clearly listed house rules.  AirBnB clearly doesn't care about the issue from what I can tell, I've tried to contact them multiple times and they never call back(even though they promise to call back).

The most frustating part of this is the Almost Absolute Inability to get any kind of resolution from AirBnB.  It seems like AirBnB is never concerned with anyone's well being as long as they get their money at the end of the day.

I love the platform, it clearly brings me bookings, but the inability to deal with a clear and obvious trend among mostly new guests is really crummy when you know they could do something about it, but won't.  It makes it hard to see AirBnB as a longterm project when it's clear the company will throw a host under the bus for an extra $5 any time it's convenient for them...

4 Replies 4
Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

So, what's this house rule they're breaking? 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I assume that guests have not read the rules, the most obvious one is check in and check out.  So I ask for approx check in time and remind if needed check out.

Not sure what I can expect AirBnB to do.

David
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Tony134

It isn't Airbnb's job to ensure that guests are informed of your HR.

You don't have IB on, so you actually have a very large modicum of control. When you get an inquiry or request - first reply back that in their interest you need to know that they have properly read your description and necessary house rules, so that they are aware of what you can offer and what not, i.e.

- <sore point>

- <sore point>

- <sore point>

That's how I know that my guests are aware of the stairs, the type of room, and that all-day room stayers are not suitable due to my working from home.

I also remind them repeatedly (in my arrival instruction email, in one or if necessary another email) of needing to know estimated time of arrival, so I'm not out running errands when they get here.

It's like running a day care for grown-ups sometimes, but showing your presence as host like that also shows you're involved and certainly slashes any wishful thinking down. I've also actually had guests who thanked me and said they'd missed a point and were sorry, but weren't going to book. So a missed booking, but an unhappy guest less.

Jennifer178
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

Hi @Tony134, at first I could not imagine how you hosted so many peopel so quickly and then I saw that you are running a hostel.  You have very few rules so I assume the problem is smoking and noise.  I have to assume you are attracting a young crowd traveling as cheaply as possible.  When you have a gathering of young people, most of the time noise goes up and rules get forgotten. Also, even though your cleaning fee is low, many people will assume that they do not have to be neat, I do not know if that is one of the problems. And lastly, the cheaper the accomadation the less respectful people can sometimes be.

You are not going to get a sophisticated or mostly adult clientel for your place.  It is just the nature of the beast and not meant to be a slight against you or your place.  You say you got this house just for Airbnb. Your reviews are great and everyone seems to love your place and you. With such a high turnover and a high number of guests at any one time, you are going to have rule breakers and eventually some bad guests.  Airbnb can do nothing about some rules violations.  If a guest is really behaving badly, get them relocated.  Good luck, it looks like you are doing ok so far