Hosts being Scammed out of Cancellation Fees

Zuss0
Level 2
Philippines

Hosts being Scammed out of Cancellation Fees

I just want to make other Hosts aware of a scam on AirBnB of what I just fell victim to. I believe I have been cheated out of my original cancellation fee. The guest in question made her reservation 6 months in advance for 25 days. Then she sent me a message that she wanted to reduce here reservation to 12 days. At that time, I informed her that due to the late date that I would have to decline her request. I tried to negotiate with her and have her cancel her original reservation and rebook at which time I would give her a full credit for each day of the 13 she cancelled if I was able to fill them. Then the harassing phone calls started she just wouldn't stop and cooperate and insisted we change her reservation or else she would report me to AirBnB which I encouraged her to do. During the whole process, I felt she was scamming me for the original cancellation fee and never intended to honor the revised dates. So now exactly 7 days before her revised reservation she cancels and instead of paying her original cancellation she only pays less than half of the original fee. If it wasn't for the constant harassing phone calls I never would have agreed to revise her dates. I don't believe she bargained in good faith and I'm hoping AirBnB will stand up for me as a host and recover or at least a portion of the original cancelation fee.

I just want other AirBnB hosts to beware of this scam tactic and not be taken advantage of and fall for it, it is a well thought through scam. I'm not a greedy person but I do need the extra money AirBnB brings in. I'm hoping AirBnB will rule in my favour and I will recover some of the fee.

Cheers Zuss  

23 Replies 23
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Zuss0

While I fully agree with you that at the end she was just looking for the easiest way not to pay the full cancellation policy.

Personally, and I know this may not sit well with you, someone booking 6 months out and wanting to change it that far in advance, I would have been more than happy to do so and sell the other days.

Thank you for the heads up Zuss your right it is a well thought through scam, I'll keep it in mind next time I get a reservation change.

I'm sorry about the phone calls.

Sean

Thank you too Sean

Zuss

Thank you Gary,

If she had of given me more time I would have been happy to cooporate with her and change the reservation it was all at the last minute. And the phone calls they were so bad.

Thanks Again

Zuss

Sean165
Level 2
General Luna, Philippines

After some thought as a Host I'm hoping AirBnB will stand behind Zuss and award her the original cancellation fee. I feel it's time AirBnB stands up for the Hosts who earn them the revenue and the financial success they are experiencing because of us all over the world. Come on AirBnB do the right thing and give Zuss what she deserves and stand up for us Hosts as well.

Cheers Sean

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Zuss0 If your target is not necessarily a long term booking, it's good to set the maximum stay. 

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Thank you Marzena,

I have my maximum set at 30 days, in this case she had booked for 25 days and had the dates blocked for 6 months. Then at the last minute shs cancels, I'm hoping I will be able to fill thoes dates.

Zuss

I set my maximum to 14 days. I honestly want lots of turn over in my space (profit reasons) and don't want any guests settling in too long. 

Curious... Why does that benefit you from a profit perspective? Just because it safeguards against the possibility of somebody booking for a long period of time (and then like this case, cancelling and leaving you with days free) or is there another reason?

Angela503
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

Hi Zuss:   Thanks for the heads up.  I've heard of this scam some years ago.  Another variation is if the guest can't make the dates they call and reschedule for future dates - then call back to totally cancel thus avoiding cancellation fees. Since learning about it, I've shifted to strict cancellation fees. Furthermore, I will not accommodate more than a one or two day reservation change. The guest must cancel altogether and book new dates if they choose.  No one likes a manipulating scam artist. Hope you get your cancellation fees. 

Thank you for your support and advise Angela, it is much appreciated. This is a loophole in AirBnB’s Strict cancellation terms and conditions and should be plugged immediately. If a guest alters their reservation and reduces the booking and then cancels based on the reduced booking then the cancellation fee of the original booking should apply. I will definitely mention this to AirBnB.

Thanks Again

Zuss

It is truly sad that we as host have to worry about scammers, they are out there, and please everyone take note of the suggestions made, in this posting about setting your cancellation policies.  I agree many times you can rebook, sometimes you can not, depending on season, location, and your booking policies, plus I plan my time around hosting, so it is disappointing  and some times costly when this happens.

THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COIN

I will tell you that as a host having to cancell a reservations, which was something I could not avoid because my long term guest with 4 children was unable to move on her date to be out and a wonderful guest had booked in advance, as soon as I knew she was not going to be out of the apartment I contacted the guest, and he was very cordial, and we agreed to the cancelation.  I then cancelled AND WAS IMMEDIATELY THREATENED BY AIRBNB TO BE SUSPENDED, even though the guest and I had resolved the issue.

GO FIGURE!  See my post about AIRBNB paying our sales tax.....UGH! Again NO WAY TO EVEN SEND AN EMAIL or SUGGESTION.

Good point Dana I hope AirBnB will be a responsible corporate citizen and stand up for me and all hosts at times like this instead of just taking our money to appease the stock holders. We need to know they will back us as well as the guests.

Thank you for your support

Zuss

@Zuss0 - Airbnb is a private company.  There are no stock holders.  They have been given start up capital from investment organizations but are not publicly traded.