Hot water running for 10 hours!

Angie91
Level 1
Montreal, Canada

Hot water running for 10 hours!

Hi all, I do not know what to do... I have some guests that have not been careful with certain logical stuff at the apartment (they left the door unlocked when leaving the apartment, left my cat outside even when I told them to be careful to leave him outside), but this one last thing I could not stand: They left the apartment around the same time as me (9am, they left after me), and when I came back at 7pm the hot water from the kitchen sink was running. I imagine they did not do it on purpose but I feel I need to charge them extra for the electricity. What should I do and how much should I charge?? 10 hours of wasted hot water running in full.

5 Replies 5
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Angie91 Contact Airbnb on the following number Canada: +1-855-424-7262 (toll-free) or United States (USA): +1-415-800-5959 and let them know what happened with those guests than let them know that you want to charge the guests and discuss what sum of money you can receive for breaking your house rules. Good luck!!!

Zoe34
Level 7
Columbia, MO

@Angie91 - I would be interested to know if Airbnb would allow this.  Do you have a security deposit turned on for your listing?  You could try to get Airbnb to make the guest pay for it out of that?  

I had the same thing happen to me with one of my first guests in my space.  I was up all night long, because I could hear that they had water on above me.  At first I thought they were taking a bath, but it was literally on all night.  I didn't do anything - I did ask the guest if they had something running, and they admitted they hadn't turned a sink off all the way.  It's frustrating, but it was probably a human error... 😞

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I have seen some pretty impressive rules but none that would cover this, suppose it would be up to them to make a contribution when asked about it.

David
Heidi50
Level 2
Winchester, United Kingdom

I am in the position of reviewing a guest who returned late- 5 am- and, I thought took a shower. When the hot water had run about half and hour I had to go to her door, knocked, and then opened to find her asleep in bed and the sink hot tap full on. I turned off then left. 

In the morning I mentioned this to her and she responded that she wasn’t disturbed by my entry! No apology .

I’m interested in other’s responses to this ‘error’ of hers???

@Heidi50 if the guest complains I am afraid Airbnb will probably suspend your listing. Don't review until at least 72 hours after the stay as by this time the guest should not be able to complain.