How bad will it impact if a cancel three confirmed cancellations?

Carina92
Level 2
Aiken, SC

How bad will it impact if a cancel three confirmed cancellations?

I have three different gusts renting my place within the next two months for a couple of days each. 

I was just contacted by another potential guest who would like to rent the spece for 3 months! I would really like to rent the unit to her...

How bad would it impact three cancellations? I am almost new to AirBnB. I only rented my space twice so far.

Thank you for your feedback!

11 Replies 11
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Carina92

Besides of other financial penalties: It will impact very bad, as Airbnb will block the cancelled dates, and you are not able to rebook to your "3 months" guest...

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Carina92 Also be aware before taking a booking for three months that they are probably no longer a guest: they are likely a tenant. Investigate what the rules are in your area and how they apply to you. Evictions can be problematic, if that ever becomes nescessary.

Also, I second what @Emiel1 says: there are quite a few penalties for cancellations, including blocking the dates on your calendar. Also, if a potential guest sees 3 cancellation reviews on your profile, it's likely not going to be good for future bookings.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Carina92   No, it's no okay to cancel guests just because you got a better offer. Really unprofessional business behavior.

As far as a 3 month booking is concerned, aside from the legal ramifications which were mentioned by Alexandra, this is a stranger- you have no idea what kind of guest they are going to be. What happens if you take a 3 month booking and after a week you find out the person is a total slob who is disrespecting your home and ignoring all your house rules? Stick with shorter bookings.

Carina92
Level 2
Aiken, SC

Thank you all for your responses! 

I was just wondering... I appreciate everyone’s input. I have already decided I will stick to my short term guests. 

You could of course cancel guests or ask them to cancel and strike a 3 month deal with the woman. No ABB fees and write a short term tenancy agreement. It’s your place. You can do what you need to and want.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Carina92 I am glad you made the smart decision to go with the ABB short term rentals -  @Andreas-and-Anna0 if she does what you say then she should just cancel her ABB agreement altogether, and that doesn't seem to make much sense.  That 3 months could turn into a real nightmare - and you just never know - most of us can tolerate someone for a week but 3 months - in my state they would have full tenant rights and if they chose to stay would have to be evicted and cost many hundreds and months. So I think Carina made the right choice. She is new at this and learning and she needs guidance! just my thoughts of support to her.

happy hosting, Clara

Thank you Clara for your understanding and support!

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Carina92 one more thing...........your listing is really nice - you need some great reviews and if you rent for 3 months - NO reviews and you will not have many bookings in the future probably - cause many folks read those reviews - atleast that's what so many of the guests I have tell me.............and the Reviews do count to them............ also you want to get your price up quickly - you are the cheapest place and you can charge alot more. happy hosting, Clara

Liliana304
Level 1
New York, NY

HI I accepted someone today an something came up with my daughter having to repeat her regions exams those same dates, so now I have to move all my vacations plans including airbnb.

Will they penalize me for doing it the same date?

Thank you

@Liliana304If it was an instant booking, just call Airbnb and let them know that the dates should have been blocked on your calendar and you would like to cancel penalty-free. 

If they sent you a booking request and you accepted, you will be subject to cancellation penalties. 

@Liliana304 @Alexandra316 

If you blocked the dates since you learned about the exams and a booking came through in spite of that, you can ask AirBNB to fix their own mistake.

Having to take exams and change vacations dates, however, will probably not be considered an extenuating circumstance in which case there are penalties.