How can I review when I'm awaiting to find out about a resolution?

Josie165
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

How can I review when I'm awaiting to find out about a resolution?

I have a resolution request outstanding (guests broke our toaster and scuffed the walls up a fair bit) so I don't want to write a review before I know what they're going to do. So far they've declined to pay and it's sitting with Airbnb. I only have three days left to write the review - any advice?

6 Replies 6
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Josie165  Hi, sorry you have to write a less than wonderful review for your guest.

I'm not sure what you are waiting for - it seems clear this guest is not going to pay for a broken toaster or wall damage ? scuffed up a  bit? What does that look like.  Strange, how do they break a toaster?  your toaster  looks very sturdy in the pic. And if they messed up the dark walls really bad you'll have to paint?? Was it luggage banging or people damage? 

So I'd ask you  - Were they good with all the house rules? how was communication? All the other things count too - so take all that into account - and remember appliances do break/wear out unless they cut the electric plug off or something so strange.  

So if Airbnb pays you on the Resolution Claim does that change how you review this guest? That would not impact it for me - you are reviewing this guests, are they responsible, honest because what they do or get away with doing they will indeed learn from -- what happens as result of their actions.  

Guess I'd say you were disappointed that there was damage left by this guest and no responsibility taken for it. Other hosts will understand that they broke or damaged something and didn't pay....and that would certainly be a red flag that I'd not want to host them....regardless whether they paid or not..... for many hosts it is all depending on the amount of cost to you as the hosts. 

If you gave more details: Are these terrible guests?? just messy, kids/ wall scraps or extreme and never again guests?  like cost of damage, $40 vs. $400 ++ then I guess that requires a review saying - Left damage to an appliance & had to do major painting following their stay and I would not host them again. That says it all!  Hope I didn't confuse you - but, wear and tear are gonna happen and sometimes its just the end for an appliance, also, some people are really rough on things, and have little respect for your things - I think many feel they paid so just don't treat things with much respect and some are living like pigs.... 

feel free to post your ideas on the review before and we can help you better in writing. 

peace & happy hosting

@Josie165   "Xx and Yy left the home with some minor damage but declined to pay for it."

There's nothing left to wait for, as the guests have already completed their action on the Resolution request. You can expect the reciprocal review to be a negative one, as the main thing the guests remember about their stay was being asked for what they probably felt was an excessive amount of money. For what little money you can get for replacing a toaster, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Paul-and-Lynn2
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

We also have a resolution request outstanding. I wonder if anyone knows how long these things should take? The Guy dealing with the request is always out of office, or so I am told. We were left with a fridge damaged beyond repair, but the Guests refused to take responsibility. 

Apparently a successful  claim would take into account wear and tear, so if you have had the toaster for say 2 years and the life expectancy is 10 years if you are successful you would receive 80% of the cost of replacement. As said previously is it worth the hassle?

Our Guest also damaged a wall, (plaster was missing). The Guests failed to report the damage at the time. Funnily enough they did not dispute that, but resolutions team want to know how old the wall is?

Do not expect any support.

Back to the original question I personally felt that I needed to do a review to warn other Hosts. I did one straight away despite knowing they were going to leave a bad review. I am a principled person and fear that this is somewhat to my detriment. We said when the family left the Fridge door was hanging off it's hinges and we would not host again.

We are always washing and painting walls as this is part and parcel of the wear and tear expected unfortunately. We are now considering no longer renting due to lack of support from Airbnb.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Paul-and-Lynn2 your response to the guest suggests to me that you didn't claim for the fridge. As such I am somewhat confused...

We were staying at the apartment immediately prior to Sophie and her young families arrival, so we were shocked and saddened to hear that on the second day of the family's stay the fridge had been damaged.
A repairman was sent in at a convenient time to the Guest's. It was agreed to do a temporary fix so as not to inconvenience the Guest's further.
The fridge was replaced once it was established that it was beyond repair.
Accidents happen, so we always make sure we have the appropriate contractors to hand.

The claim is still with the resolution team, that's why I asked how long they take to come to a decision.

Of course we had to go ahead and pay for a new fridge meantime.