How do I add last minute Late Check out fee?

Answered!

How do I add last minute Late Check out fee?

Hi brains trust,

I am interested to learn how you charge the additional fee for late check outs.

Is it a request through the Airbnb resolution centre?

Recently I have had many guests requesting late check outs on the morning of checking out. I have read on the community how people document their fees in the house manual and rules which is great, but how do you then add the charge?

Thanks for your guidance here!

Jo

1 Best Answer

Yes, @Jo86, you need to disclose you will charge for late check out - not in the House Manual but in the listing information itself - probably in the House Rules.  Even something simple like - we charge for late check out, fees are negotiated in advance when requested.  Then you collect from the Resolution Center and make sure you hold any conversations about late check out on the Airbnb forum so, should your guests complain, that it's all visible for Airbnb to see.  If you find that guests are frequently staying passed check out time (without discussing it with you first), list directly that there is a $xx/per quarter hour fine for late check out.  It doesn't sound like you have this problem, but some hosts do.  

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3

Yes, @Jo86, you need to disclose you will charge for late check out - not in the House Manual but in the listing information itself - probably in the House Rules.  Even something simple like - we charge for late check out, fees are negotiated in advance when requested.  Then you collect from the Resolution Center and make sure you hold any conversations about late check out on the Airbnb forum so, should your guests complain, that it's all visible for Airbnb to see.  If you find that guests are frequently staying passed check out time (without discussing it with you first), list directly that there is a $xx/per quarter hour fine for late check out.  It doesn't sound like you have this problem, but some hosts do.  

Sue-and-Andrew0
Level 4
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hi @Jo86

If it doesn't inconvenience you to accommodate a late check-out, it truly is last minute, and no guests arriving that night, then I would consider NOT charging for one.  It builds goodwill and is something that we do all the time - and guests thank us for it in the reviews they leave.  We do it for both early and late check-outs.

If however guests ask for one in advance, where there's a chance we could sell the next night, then we simply ask them to book that night and all the charges will be taken care of.

Josh1157
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

We do charge for late check outs based on the following schedule as we are running a business like you, right? 🙂
0-2 hours no charge if we can accommodate it. Chalk it up to goodwill. 

2-8 hours =  5% of the nightly listing multiplied by  the number of extra hours. So a $1,000 night where a guest wants 4 hours we charge $200. 

8 hours or longer they need to book another night and it makes sense for them anyways financially. 

Hope this helps. 🙂