How do I improve my guests' value ratings?

Answered!
Martha9
Level 3
Stockholm, Sweden

How do I improve my guests' value ratings?

How do I improve my guests' value ratings? I get high ratings generally, but in the category "value", lower. Why? What can I do to improve "value" ?

3 Best Answers

Hello @Martha9,

AFAIK, the Value parameter translated to "value for money", which mean whether the stay and overall experience at your place was worth the money spent on it.

A lower score indicates that it might not be worth the price you've set, so you can try to reduce the price and see if that gets you positive points.

Alternatively, you can also check if you can add any additional ammenities to your home, which might increase the value. 

TIP: Small low cost things like complimentary fresh fruits, local map, bicycle to go around can be added to improve the overall value.

TIP2: ASK THE GUEST. This works best. You can ask your last few guests particulary about this point, if the money they spent was worth and then invite suggestions from them so that you can fix things if there are any misses. Guests provide the best solutions.

Hope it helps!

Greetings from India

View Best Answer in original post

I wouldn't worry about that Value section, especially if you are providing a budget place already.

People looking for a budget place rarely give 5 star on value. 

Wendy-and-Markus0
Level 10
United States

@Martha9:

You have great reviews.

If you are happy with the number of bookings you are getting, I would suggest leaving your daily rate as is, you may want to consider adding a few personalized touches. It doesn't have to cost a lot but a few extra bucks spent might go a long way.  For example:

Small welcome basket of snacks, couple of fruits & goodies for guests upon arrival

Maybe have a few refrigerated drinks such as water and orange juice (not sure how expensive OJ is in your part of the world, but if too expensive find another popular alternative)

Offer a small basic coffee/tea bar for guests with a little note saying welcome and please enjoy!

Something we used to do and our guests would mention in our reviews was a handwritten note in our bathroom where we would explain what was available for their use and to let us know if they had any questions or needed any other items.

I know in our pictures our listing shows pretty basic items in the kitchenette, but we have actually beefed up our welcome basket to include several items such as instant oatmeal, hot chocolate packets, teas, coffee, small bags of chips, some mini-chocolate bars and a couple of whatever fresh fruits are in season. We also offer a new orange juice in the fridge and whatever we have in stock like a bottle of sparkling water, a cheap bottle of wine etc. These little extras might help your guests' perception that your value is worth 5 stars. Of course you cann't please everybody and every now and again, you get that person that gives 4 stars across the board.

When time allows, we write a thank you letter to our guests and leave it in a basket we have right outside their front entrance. We thank them for choosing to stay with us, we hope they enjoyed their stay with us, and request that if they have any suggestions for how we can improve the experience of future guests, we welcome constructive feedback. We've actually received some really great feedback. Especially at the beginning when we were first starting off.

One thing we did that was helpful after hosting a few guests was stay in our own unit overnight night and showered there as well. It sounds silly, but it really gave us a good sense on what it was like to be a guest in our own space. We realized we definitely made the right choice with the mattress, had great pillows, added a throw blanket to snuggle when watching T.V.

Since our pictures were taken by an Airbnb photographer we have added several additions:

We added pics of:

*Upgraded our heating/AC unit

*Added 2 lamps one for each nightstand

*Upgraded our T.V. most recently

We let our guests get surprised by offering more than they were expecting:

*Added a magnifying mirror in the bathroom

*Area rugs for the bed, shower, and bathroom sink areas

*Hamper in the bathroom

*Small closet with hangers

*Snacks in the fridge

We've been hosting since December -2014 so we are fairly  "new kids on the block," but we keep growing and hopefully improving on the type of experience we provide our guests.

Hope some of this info helps:)

41 Replies 41

Hello @Martha9,

AFAIK, the Value parameter translated to "value for money", which mean whether the stay and overall experience at your place was worth the money spent on it.

A lower score indicates that it might not be worth the price you've set, so you can try to reduce the price and see if that gets you positive points.

Alternatively, you can also check if you can add any additional ammenities to your home, which might increase the value. 

TIP: Small low cost things like complimentary fresh fruits, local map, bicycle to go around can be added to improve the overall value.

TIP2: ASK THE GUEST. This works best. You can ask your last few guests particulary about this point, if the money they spent was worth and then invite suggestions from them so that you can fix things if there are any misses. Guests provide the best solutions.

Hope it helps!

Greetings from India

Thank you Jeet! I will add the items you suggest! But the biking is impossible because there's snow everywhere and minus 13 degrees centigrade- too cold to be outside, almost... 😉 Hope it's nice and pleasant weather there in India! All best!

I wouldn't worry about that Value section, especially if you are providing a budget place already.

People looking for a budget place rarely give 5 star on value. 

Thanks Kelly!

Valuable words from you! I'll keep them in mind.

I agree with you Kelly.

Airbnb keep recommending cheaper price tips and when we accept them and offer our, already low cost room, for even less money - we get the worst reviews for 'Value'!  

People who pay higher prices tend to appreciate quality, whereas guests who focus on cheap rates are also frugal with their praise.  

- it makes me want to coin a new phrase... cheap is, what cheap does!

But I was also interested to hear from Marcus about Dutch culture - are there any Dutch hosts who would like to comment, do you think it's a fair generalisation?  I must admit I hadn't noticed it at all myself, but it's an interesting comment because culture does play a big part in all our lives. In the same way that the only guests who have left lingering smells in our room have been from China... the smells are of balsam, so I'm guessing that the use of balsam is culturally a common thing for Chinese people?

Has anyone got any other cultural traits that they have identified - though this might be going off topic and might need to be moved to the 'Living Room'...

I've had my last 2 guests ding me in value when I already use AirBnB's insanely low price tips, yet those reviews say "I will definately come back" and "highly recommend". I've had some reviews contradict the star ratings. 

Guests have their own upstairs bed/bath, I use luxury towels and sheets, etc, and they get a variety of breakfast foods, acess to the kitchen and rest of the house...i guess these people expect the Ritz Carlton at Motel 6 prices. At my current prices, you can't even get some "rat's nest" hotel for that price. 

I will try some recommendations given, but i am definately not getting my price any lower, otherwise how could one make money with prices that low?

I think I offer excellent value in my listing compared to many local offers of the same thing. KING bed (not queen), large room, flexible check in and check out, always available for help as I'm here all the time, very reasonable cost IMHO, offer all shampoos/conditioners etc so nobody needs to bring toiletries etc...but I still get this value ding because people just don't seem to know how expensive it is around here.  I tried doing the 'add breakfast' thing - nobody ate for months and it was all wasted - but reliably those who wanted breakfast ding us for not having it.  Tried flowers/chocolates/wines/etc....it ends up being 1/3 of the cost of a night's stay to do that and as I get many one night stays it's simply not good business sense to try to get that 4 to a 5, you know?  I started fretting less about perfection on this front and started enjoyed hosting more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact AirBNB

@Karin5

In my experience the lower the price the more people expect - give 'em an inch and they take a mile.   Give them a discount and they expect hotel service, including a maid to clean up after them. They are never satisfied. I suspect using "AirBnB's insanely low price tips"  gets the same results. Also, people who ask for a discount and I refuse, but they book anyway, turn out to be a nightmare. I have only done it three times and three times I have regretted it. So now I decline anybody who asks for one.

And always the ones that asked for early check-in and later check out 

Well said, Karin!

I too have been struggling with the Value section as I typically get 5 stars in all other areas. The most frustrating thing I find is when a guest rates 5 stars in location, communication, cleanliness, check-in,  and accuracy, but lower in value. To me, if all other categories are 5 stars then it seems it was worth its value. 

Honestly, I think a lot of people just don't like to part with their money and it skews how they see the "value" section. I mean, no one forced them to book - they agreed to that price! For these reasons, I don't find the Value rating very valuable at all. It's far too subjective for guests where as the other sections are far more staright forward. 

I would appreciate hints on how to get rid of Curry stains and smells.

@Lorraine-Forex0 wrote:

I would appreciate hints on how to get rid of Curry stains and smells.

I went on line on "how to get rid of curry smell" and it took me to it as well as other smells in the house and what to use to get rid of it/them.  Too much to type so check it out on line.  From coffee grounds to apple sider vinegar...  Good luck. 

I have one room with a top of line new private bathroom and patio which airbnb keeps suggesting a lower price for than a bare bones room w shared bath. The price algos are off.

One other thing to consider is guests trying to drive prices down by making hosts to feel they need to raise the value rating. Another thing to consider is when guests search on AirBNB, they see a lot of places that are not very expensive and they think how much money they could have saved if they would have gone somewhere else. So, in a sense, they are comparing their stay to the lower advertized prices on AirBNB. Also, the advertized price for each listing on AirBNB is the lowest price listed for each of those listings. So if you usually list for $100 during the week and $130 on the weekend with a $30 cleaning fee, but then list the unbooked Monday next week for $50, your listing is advertized as being $50 a night even though your usual minimum weekday/weekend price would be $130/$160. This sets the price expectation pretty low from the get go. I think value ratings are doomed to be low and need to be ignored unless there are some suggestions on how to improve attached to the rating.