How do you review a guest when we have requested money (and been paid)?

How do you review a guest when we have requested money (and been paid)?

We filed a complaint because the guest misrepresented the number of guests in her booking. We charged an extra $100 for the extra guests and a pet. I do not know whether to give this guest a review. If I do, what do I say?

5 Replies 5
Jonathan6
Level 10
Mamaroneck, NY

In my mind you have a few issues to think about, but I always put it in the context of "Would I host this guest again?".

You are part of a community of hosts and it's important for hosts to get feedback from other hosts on their guests.  You are also running a business and a poor review will most likely not create a repeat customer.  This is the inherent flaw in the ABB model, the community wants accurate reviews, but the host wants repeat business.  There are things you may tolerate as a cost of doing business that other hosts may not.

The simple answer is to be honest in a constructive way.  A review for this guest that states “Bob was a great guest, after a misunderstanding on the number of guests he quickly responded by paying the additional fee, we hope Bob comes back again”.

If you think this guest was trying to pull a fast one and you don’t want Bob back again, it’s your obligation to notify the community of hosts.

Hope this helps…

Hello Jonathan,

thanks very much for taking the time to reply! Your advice is very helpful! You encapsulated the problem with the ABB model precisely.

I will use your suggested phrasing when reviewing this guest.

Again,

thank you!

Rebecca

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jim-And-Rebecca0

Take a step back - did they mispresrent on purpose? THe default is one guest - we have a number of guests who just don't see that drop down button. We alwasy confirm back - 1 guest for x number of nights - and on a few occasions they have said, no, it;s two. They were embarrassed and more than happy to pay the correct amount.

If you think it;s more than an hoinest mistake and they paid up straight away I would be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Terri38
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

It may be a genuine misunderstanding.  I had a recent guest who turned up with a travel companion.  The booking was for one guest.  There was a language barrier and he was genuinely bewildered when I pointed things out to him.  "I book" he said, indicating himself. "One guest" he said, indicating his friend.

My room sleeps two and I charge for the room not per guest, so 'No harm, no foul'.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

If they made an innocent mistake, and were more than willing to pay without any hassle or attitude, and didn't put you out any - than everything turned out perfect. Right? Was the pet the tricky part?