How many towels per person per stay?

Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

How many towels per person per stay?

This isn't a biggie, but how do hosts handle the towel issue? I have luxuriant towels that take ages to dry in the dryer. I've noticed that if I put out 8 for 4 people--even for 2 nights--usually more than 4 will be used. However, if I just put the 4 for 4 people, that seems to work.

I've had a couple of 2 night stays (3 people each time) and they both mentioned having more towels.

I have a lot of towels, so that's not the problem. It's the time it takes to do a load (and even then I can't do many at a time). I also want to keep the ones I have nice for as long as possible, hence I'd rather not wash them and wear them out too quickly. I don't cheap out on them--I get very high quality--but I don't want them to wear out quickly.

Personally I think 1 big towel and hand towel for a 2 night stay is fine. Any thoughts?

38 Replies 38
Phyllis95
Level 1
South Pasadena, FL

I'm just setting up an airbnb in a coastal town in Florida.  I've travelled using airbnb and have really enjoyed the authentic experiences in other countries.  I am concerned about what I am hearing from other hosts in my community, as well as this forum, that guests expect considerably more than they used to.  I will be offering a complete two bedroom/one bath house with a great backyard and bbq area.  I am now fretting over quality of towels - not just for durability but acceptability by guests. And like Jay120, we are very concerned about environmental issues.  The community has banned plastic straws and plastic bags - and my husband and I are active in environmental issues, particularly around climate change and Extinction Rebellion.  We're hoping our hosting experience will have an educational component to it - no straws, no paper plates, no paper towels, and awareness of the ocean and the fragility of its stability - so care on water use.  But, although this seems like a good idea - I wonder if it will put guests off.  But then, I wonder if I care.  Super Host status is not worth ruining the environment.  We do not plan to be hotel-like, but community oriented - inviting others to share in that community. Maybe we should be leading the way to community awareness and what it means to be stewards of our communities.  I'll get good towels so they last - not becauise my guests expect that.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Phyllis95   Nice to read how much you do to be a responsible human on this ailing planet. Maybe you should make sure to word your listing so it's right out there that guests who are environmentally aware and dedicated to recycling, not using plastics, etc. are welcome and will be a good fit with your listing. I'd also re-iterate that in messages to the guests when they book or request to book. 

As far as towels go, I hate to admit this, as I avoid patronizing them as much as possible, but I bought all my guest towels at Walmart. I got nice thick ones (although many hosts prefer thinner towels, as they dry faster and don't take up as much space in the washer) and they have actually lasted for years and amazingly, no guest has ever stained them (I don't get the heavy-make-up, fake tan type guests, and I only host 1 guest at a time, so there's no issue with the tell-tale signs of sex). I know I didn't pay more than about $8 each for the bath towels. One guest even commented on how nice they were and asked how I keep them so soft, but I have no idea- I don't use fabric softener, and I don't even have a dryer- everything gets line dried, which you'd think might make them stiff, but it doesn't.

Mark-And-Gail0
Level 2
Bedford, United Kingdom

I had 2 guests for 1 night and they used 7 bath sheets and 3 hand towels after helping themselves from the cupboard. I now lock them away. I am thinking if invoicing them. What are your thoughts.  I am fuming. Thanks Gail

No, don't charge them. View it as a learning experience.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Mark-And-Gail0 I am fuming too! - On your behalf! It ain't British!

I would invoice them if your prices are low, & don't cover the cost of washing 10 towels! Me, I'm strictly ONE per person, and I expect to do only ONE load of washing, sheets & towels together once guests depart!

We are NOT flippin' hotels!

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

@Mark-And-Gail0 Makes you wonder what your guests were up to for that 1 night!

For my part I provide 1 bath towel and 1 hand towel to each guest. If guests are staying for 4 nights or more I let them know they can have a fresh towel if required. That way more often than not they never ask for another towel, they just carry on using their existing one. That way I know I've done my bit in offering another towel and also it keeps the washing and drying down. The amount of energy required to wash loads of extra towels is ridiculous. 

We do not offer a high end property to warrant extra touches, it just doesn't pay.  We offer a clean, comfortable and peaceful stay in our lodge, but at a very reasonable rate. Nearly all guests recognise this and are happy with the one towel offer. 

Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

I give 1 large, one facial towel and one to dry hands per guests. This is to last 2 days. If a guest stays 3 nights, then I will give 2 large towels each as well as 1 facial and 1 hand towel. Most guests haven't even used the facial or hand towels so I don't bother giving extra of those for 3 night stays.

Drew2193
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Well some hotels leave 1 big and 1 small, so lets do what they do aye.

@Drew2193  Airbnbs aren't hotels. There's no need for hosts to do what hotels do.