How to advertise my specific cottage situation!‌‌

Francis1938
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

How to advertise my specific cottage situation!‌‌

We recently bought a big cottage (4 bedrooms) on a private lake and forest.

The garage (separate building 2 meters away from the main building) has been nicely renovated into an 2 rooms smaller cottage.

I am hesitating on how to advertise this. 

Here are a few possible scenarios:

-renting both as once (more expensive, maybe less likely that someone would rent them like that)

-renting both separately (people renting the big place might not want to have neighbors that are that close by...)

Any impressions on this matter? 

14 Replies 14
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Francis1938 Why don't you try creating three seperate listings: one for the entire property, one for the main cottage only, and one for the guest cottage only and see what works best in your market? Be clear in your listings that if option 2 or 3 is booked, there may be other guests on the property at the same time. Just make sure that the listing calendars are properly tied together so that if one space is booked, the other listing is blocked accordingly. There's a tutorial here: How do I link Airbnb calendars for multiple listings? - Airbnb Help Center

Also, I would check out competitor properties in your neighbourhood and see what they're offering. You can take a look at their calendars, and although it's not a foolproof way of knowing whether or not they've gotten booked, it may help you determine how popular they are.

This sounds like good advice!  Thanks a lot!   

🙂

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

If advertising the whole place as one, with 6 bedrooms, I think there is increased risk that it will attract those looking for somewhere to party.

I would probably advertise them as separate entities, but be very clear in the ads on the fact that there is another listing on the property. Be sure to have photos to illustrate, so any booking guest is well aware - this could also limit the risk of getting negative reviews. Also remind about this when someone books, in case they missed it.

My listing is a tinyhouse in my garden, and it is only a few meters from my house, where we live. I explain this very clearly in my ad, and show photos, and no guest has ever complained or commented. Some have probably chosen not to book because the houses are so close, but that’s ok.

But of course, we are hosts and are careful not to disturb the guests or go to close. You can’t be sure how your guests will act.

You are probably right, I guess I would have to verify their rating, but I'm not against partying as long as the place is respected!  🙂

@Francis1938 You may not be against partying BUT if you mention parties in your listing (other than to ban them) your listing will be suspended by Airbnb!

Got it, I wont look for that anyway.

@Francis1938  Airbnb has been suspending and delisting hosts who allow partying or even those who contact Airbnb to try to get compensated for guests trashing their homes. 

And you need to be aware that it's very unlikely that Airbnb will pay you anything for damage done by guests.

The security deposit and the host guarantee are all smoke and mirrors.

Dont worry, my place is warm and cozy, I definitely wont be looking for that type of profile anyway.  🙂

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

@Francis1938 ,

Felicitations ! Congratulations, that is a great new! 

“Your home should tell the story of who you are and be a collection of what you love” 

- Nate Berkus

https://natejeremiahdesign.com/nate-berkus/

Absolutely, undoubtedly renting both at once! 
Guest love privacy! Guest can effort to pay well for the 4 bedroom cottage on a private late and forest.Definitely, main concern of “Privacy” - “Only Me”

The same question goes to you, why’s you bought  it ? Because of the “Privacy and Peace !” 
That’s make the place unique and worth it.
More expensive ? Certainly nota problem.

I surely the celebrity will loves it’s!

Ways to go! 

Merci!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Francis1938 You could consider renting as one in high season and as two properties in low season where it might be more couples travelling

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Francis1938 how much attention can you give it? We have a separate cottage behind our main house, we are as busy as we ever hope to be, guests often comment on how well taken care of and private they felt about the space. My average rate is about $200/night

I'm currently looking at a new place that is used as an ABB, it has a main house & a guest garage apartment. The owners are off-site, they rent all the rooms to 10-20 people at once for one flat price about $400/night. To me that screams not worth the trouble. Classic case of what's better: 10 nights at 400 or 5 nights at 800?? 

And btw, I'd never put 2 unrelated groups on one property, no way to control how they will interact. But varying your pricing for how much space they get makes a whole lot of sense.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Francis1938 @Kelly149 

We have two homes on one property and three listings as @Alexandra316 suggested. The "umbrella" listing is only occasionally booked, usually by extended families. To date we have had no problems with unrelated groups on the property-- but our houses are not right next to each other.

(If you're not aware, you can see my listings or any other host's by clicking on their photo here, then on "airbnb profile".)

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

I think I'll do that.

I will set this up tonight!  

🙂