How to improve ratings for location - tips welcome

Tamara2
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

How to improve ratings for location - tips welcome

Hi Everyone, 

I am truly and really loosing a will to live. I have a 2 bedroom immaculately clean flat in Shepherds Bush, London W12. Have been a host for over 3 years and no matter what I do, I can't achieve a superhost status, even I go out of my way to make guests happy. What has been getting me down is the location. All guests say that the place is great, close to shops, cafes, transport, etc. and then....batter me on ratings for location. I put as accurate a description of my neighbourhood as possible, I tell them it is up-and-coming neighbourhood close to Notting Hill and ethnically mixed, vibrant, largely gentrified now. When we had 4 developments going on I put that warning on my page, as I wanted to be honest. That didn't seem to put people off. However, I have noticed that as the high-street is quite dominated by women in burkhas and Syrian and Lebanese shops, the ratings went down after all those terrorist attacks. The American guests are the most racist. They literally tell me straight that the street is too coloured! Can you believe it? Is there anything I can do to improve my ratings? Please have a look at my apartment description:https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/1367599   Any tips welcome. Thank you in advance. Best. Tamara

13 Replies 13
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Hi @Tamara2  The only thing that I can suggest is that you highlight a little more in your space description that the neighborhood is ethnically diverse.  I have the same problem, but for a different reason...I'm way out in the country.  I hate to highlight it too much, but have to explain where I am so as not to disappoint guests.  In spite of the lower location reviews (which airbnb has alerted me to) I still get good overall reviews and have been able to keep my Super Host status...we'll see come Jan 1 if the location reviews hurt or not.  You've got great reviews, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Sorry about the Americans....I'm afraid it's a sign of the times..many are pretty crazy right now. 

Tamara2
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Hi Clare, Thank you for an honest response. I will highlight it using that exact phrase. Muslims in the UK are everywhere and frankly, my street is so much safer for them. Those who sell and shop here are mostly family people and the kebab shop owner always told me that he could see me coming back sometimes late from parties and he looked out for me until I reached my door. My corner shop owner from Syria many times let me take my shopping even if I was short of few pennies. I don't feel threatened by those people at all. I really hope that we as people manage to get above the dividing factor that religion sadly is and manage somehow, not to buy into the giant BS, that our respective governments the world over use to manipulate us. Thank you again. Best. Tamara

Totally agree with you.  Personally, I would like to stay at a place/neighborhood such as yours.  Kabobs/shawarma?  YUM! Wish I were there!

Regina0
Level 6
San Antonio, TX

Hello there is nothing that you can do about your location.  You're being honest about things, so keep your chin up.  It's really their problem if they have issues with too much "color" in the neighborhood.   Try not to drive yourself crazy over obtaining superhost status.  In my opinion it's a marketing scheme with no real tangible benefits.  There are plenty of great hosts out there who get plenty of guests without that superhost badge.  Best to ya!  

Florian-and-Theresa0
Level 10
Mintraching, Germany

@Tamara2 Wow! That's so sad to hear. One should think travellers are open to the world in its diversity ... Wrong guess. 

For I am struggeling with the location problem (I am reworking my list for several months now), too, maybe I have some tips for you:

1. Add some photos from the street where you live.
  2. Remove the "near to Notting Hill" in the title cause guests will only read "Notting Hill" and you will always get people who want to be directly in Notting Hill, but they will always be "only" near to Notting Hill - nearly impossible to satisfy them.
Carrie0
Level 3
New York, United States

all the suggestions are great!  i too have similar problem.  while my place is located in Manhattan, it is still 25 minutes subway ride to Time Square proper.  with 50% Latin population here, i have a neighborhood map that showcase the best Mexican and Dominican restaurants, and mention the FUN! salsa music in summer.  i also give the guests the history of my constantly changing neighborhood.  while i love it here, i personally give it a 4.5 star for location as well.  seems like you've done all your can, and i would absoultely book your place based on your great many reviews.   don't worry about the Superhost Status!  

Tracy0
Level 10
London, GB

I really feel for you.  I get dinged on location also, just down the road in Addison Ward - and I also have that kind of feedback from people who are from the US. (I'm American too, so I feel particularly sensitive to it!).  Your place looks amazing! I read your listing and can't think of anything now to add to it to emphasise that this is an amazing diverse area!

I have found that I need to take extra time with people who have not travelled much and originate from certain countries (not just the US).  It's not just about cultural things, but last year a guest who is used to hermetically sealed windows (because in her country they are used to that) wanting to keep the thermostat at 30C etc.  For these reasons I've never used instant book and see you aren't - phew!  

I considered it because it's slow at the moment, but not worth the angst!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact AirBNB
Marie62
Level 2
Daytona Beach, FL

I also get relatively low ratings on Location. Sadly, they are right. The bus stop is half a mile away, which can matter when it's 98F degrees out with 98% humidity. I'm six to fifteen miles from any school or event location that anyone might come here for, and the bus service isn't great on evenings and weekends. I've emphasized the little park and decent restaurants in the area in my listing, but truth be told it just isn't that great a location. 

I've gotten dinged in location the most. My recent guests gave me 5's in all categories except location...I have mostly 4's and a few 3's. .. Most of the low location ratings have been from brand new AirBnB guests, and they must not have taken the time to read the listing or look at the map before booking. They rush into booking because of my low price or they're attracted by the photos. Hosts should not be punished because guests fail to read the listing. I even have a couple of photos showing my neighborhood. I also made it clear on my listing that a car is needed and there is nothing in walking distance or public transportation anywhere near my house, also I stated how far away I am from the nearest cities. With today's technology they should be able to get a general idea on how far I am from their destination by using a GPS. While my listing does not give the street number, it at least gives the street name, so that should be helpful. The location of one's listing...it is what it is...nobody can pick up their house and move it. also we do not know how guests interpret the word "location" ...do they take it as out in the middle of nowhere, too far away from all the attractions, or in a high-crime/unsafe area?

Faith7
Level 1
Seattle, WA

Hi All -

I have a similar challenge - and I would propose that we lobby to Airbnb to update what they ask guests to rate - which is location accuracy rather than just the location.  Here is why I think this (maybe this resonates).

I have a 1 bedroom in Seattle - it is great, clean and in a nice enough neighborhood in Seattle.  It is not near main attractions like the Space Needle or Pike Place Market, however, the price reflects that.  So my $89 very nice apartment is being dinged on location becuse it isnt as well located as the $130/night location which is similarly nice.  So the guest likely books based on price and photos, and then decrements the rating because it is not near a feature they didnt pay for.

Does this seem like something worth pursuing - asking Air BNB to update rating to ask about location accuracy rather that just the location.

Just a thought - good luck with your hosting, all!

🙂

Faith

Mark492
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

In my opininon location should not be an option to review as it is open to interpretation and therfore confusion. We live by the o2 arena so if someone is going to a concert they give us 5. However if they are here for a city break then we tend to get 4 because we are in zone 2. We don't mislead guests. we tell them how long it takes to get to all the major attractions and airports etc and there is a map for crying out loud.

All they have to do is go on google maps and search for the o2 arena to see where we are but the simple fact is that some guests dont read or research properly and hosts get penalised for it.

Location Accuracy is a much better option as mentioned earlier. in otehr words was the host honest about the location of their apartment.

rant over lol

I agree that the rating should be "location accuracy."  People know where they're booking a place, so they shouldn't be allowed to ding hosts for their own choice.  Location is something most hosts don't have any control over, but they do have control over how they describe their location.  Guests should be guided to review the accuracy of the ad's description of the location and nothing more.

I would also be ok with leaving the "location" rating as is, because this can be valuable for guests searching for places.  But in this case, it shouldn't go into host's overall star rating or the superhost calculation. "Superhost" connotes the quality of the host, which is independent of the quality of the location.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I don't even think we need a location accuracy rating. We already have an accuracy rating and that should cover any aspects of the listing, including location. In my opinion, Airbnb should just get rid of the location rating altogether, because there is nothing a host can do about it other than provide an honest description (which would be covered under accuracy anyway). But, this has been said on these forums over and over again. I would be very surprised if it hasn't been brought up repeatedly in the Host Voice forum, so I don't know why Airbnb doesn't address this.

My lowest ratings are also on location. It's the only category where I've received three stars (interestingly, also most often from Americans, but from other nationalities as well). Most of my guests love the location because it is so convenient, not just in terms of transport and getting easily and quickly to all the tourist attractions, but also for all the supermarkets and cafes within a stone's throw.

However, I do think others come with a preconceived notion of what London looks like. They expect something from Downton Abbey, where everything is oldy worldy and everyone is white, as if two World Wars, the Blitz and decades of immigration had never happened! Unfortunately, many people are totally unaware that London is one of the most culturally diverse places in the world. I have travelled to many countries and sadly the most common reaction when I tell people I'm from London is, "No, you're not. Where are you REALLY from?"

@Tamara2 I agree that mentioning your listing is close to Notting Hill is a mistake. That may be totally accurate and a host should be able to mention this as a selling point, but people don't read properly and so they expect Notting Hill, but end up in Shepherd's Bush and disappointed.

By the way, Notting Hill is a very ethnically diverse neighbourhood, not spotlessly clean and you are as likely to get mugged or molested there as anywhere else, but newbies to London will expect Hugh Grant and quaint bookshops!

Ok, rant over!