How to require 2 good reviews without instant booking

Kathryn141
Level 2
Bahama, NC

How to require 2 good reviews without instant booking

Airbnb won't let me require 2 good reviews without turning on instant booking.  I turned it off after a 3rd party instant booking.  Can anyone recommend how I can require 2 good reviews, or where I should put the requirement in my listing?  I keep getting booking requests from people without reviews, greyed out photos, and no link to profile.  I think Airbnb might be intentionally making it difficult for me to push me to enable instant booking.  Any help is appreiated.  I am new to hosting. 

4 Replies 4
Kathryn141
Level 2
Bahama, NC

I have seen that Airbnb is "testing" greying out photos, but i can't even see profile.

TamaraAndSteve0
Level 3
Vancouver, Canada

I agree. I also only want requests from people with real photos and previous reviews. I definitely do NOT want instant book. Seems you can’t have both. Buy why? Would save alot of time on both sides. Eg if you’re not a good guest or experienced guest, go party elsewhere. Same with guest requests with stock photos from social media.  

If anyone can see how to change settings please share 

@TamaraAndSteve0

Tamara, as part of Airbnb's anti-discrimination stance it is now not a requirement to have an identifiable photo prior to a reservation acceptance!!! Yes I know, how are we supposed to make a judgement call on a guest if we can't actually see them....all we get is a greyed out image!!!

But having said that Airbnb do indeed require a strict regime as far as photo identification is concerned in order to actually book a listing.

Here are the photo requirement before Airbnb will allow a guest to book.....

When you’re asked for an ID, you’ll need to:

1. Add a profile picture (if you haven’t added one already)
  2. Add a photo of a government ID (driver’s license, passport, visa, etc.)

You may also be asked to take a brand-new photo of yourself (this is different than your profile photo, and will be taken after you take a photo of your ID)

If that’s the case, the photo you take of yourself needs to match your photo on your ID, and your ID must appear to be valid. If your photos don’t match, you’re under 18, or your ID doesn't appear to be valid, you won't be able to book the listing requiring an ID. If you’re under 18, all current reservations will also be canceled.

You have 3 options for adding your ID:

• Take a photo of your ID using your phone
  • Take a photo using your computer’s or mobile device’s web camera
  • Upload an existing photo of your ID

Completing this process isn’t an endorsement of any host or guest, a guarantee of someone’s identity, or an assurance that interacting with them will be safe. Always use your own best judgement, and follow our safety tips for guests and hosts.

Tamara, anyone can open an account with Airbnb with nothing more than a current phone number and an email address, but if they wish to do anything other than open an account they will need to be verified and the above information will come into play.

So, once the guest who has that greyed out photo books, you will immediately see an absolutely recognisable image of the guest and any other verifications they may have, and at that point you can either elect to proceed with the booking or decline it!

Cheers......Rob

Maggie206
Level 1
Mesa, AZ

Unfortunately it appears AirBnB has become so obsessed with shoving bookings down Hosts throats that they could care less rather or not the potential guest is lying or not.  I have ALOT of requests where the people have requested 2 days for 2 people and then in the body of the message they say we only want one day and we are bringing our 5 kids, our 6 pet pigs and our neighbors and will require early check in and late check out...........if I turn down the booking I get messages telling me I am in danger or losing my Superhost status.  I have a wonderful property that is unfortunately not kid or pet friendly and requires a minimum of 2 night stay - as a host I think it is my right to turn down bookings that don't fit this criteria.   With instant bookings you are getting a "pig in a poke" and people show up with extra guests, pets, etc.  and if you turn them again you are screwed.  Geez - any wonder why I won't enable instant booking again???