How to review a (poor) guest who wasn't the person who booked?

Nick528
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

How to review a (poor) guest who wasn't the person who booked?

So we've just had a guest check out after 10 days and we need to write a slightly negative review.

The thing is, her father is the AirBnb account holder who booked the room for her. He never stayed, only his daughter. We knew this ahead of time and were fine with it.
However as it turns out the guest was less than satisfactory (very noisey and far less considerate than our previous guests but also tried to break into the house after she locked herself out, despite warnings to be careful not to lock yourself out as it is easily done).

So it feels rather odd to leave a poor review on her fathers account when he did nothing wrong, and it might affect his ability to travel in the future. On the flip side it feels like someone needs to be told this person is a less than ideal guest. But then that won't reflect on her if she tries to book AirBnb via her own account.

What would you suggest?

12 Replies 12
Yvonne301
Level 2
Springfield, United Kingdom

Personally I would give thepoor review but make it clear in the comments that it was his daughter who stayed and not him. 

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

Ho @Nick0 

You should never accept 3rd party bookings for this very reason, apart from the fact it is against AirBnB policy.

If the guest had broken any thing or caused damage you would not have been covered by Airbnb.

Always refuse 3rd party bookings and inform them that they have to set up their own account to be able to make bookings on AirBnb

Good luck

Chris

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

And do as @Yvonne0  suggests, bad review stating Daughter stayed.

This will give the heads up to other hosts if the father tries to make another 3rd party booking

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Nick528, this is precisely the problem with accepting 3rd party bookings and why it is against Airbnb policy. I really don't understand why this happens so much - I've had it happen to me a number of times but NOT been informed about it up front, so, the whole time, I'll have been communicating with the person who isn't actually staying and then someone else who looks nothing like the profile photo shows up. This is frankly infuriating. I agree with the others - leave an honest review about the guest who actually stayed because chances are they will book again using the father's account. It is bad luck for the account holder as they contravened Airbnb policy.

Couldn't agree more. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Nick528  @Kath9 @Chris232  @Yvonne301

I have been in a situation a few times where I have accepted a third party booking and on each occasion it has been for a sibling or family member. I have stressed to the account holder that it is against Airbnb policy and rules to book on behalf of someone else and I have had to emphasise on the account holder that the only way the booking can proceed is if they give an undertaking they will personally be responsible for the guest/s who stay. 

There has never been an issue for me, but Nick, you understand fully that this will have to be reflected during the review process...."Although against Airbnb's rules, I hosted the account holders daughter and in retrospect this was not one of my better judgements. The account holder may have been a good guest..... but unfortunately I can't assess him, only his daughter, and although she may not be familiar with the importance of house rules her observance of them was poor, and I do have to reflect this in the review. My intention was to help a family, but unfortunately for me  this stay was not ideal"!!

By saying this you are explaining the situation honestly whilst not giving the father a complete caning for something he did not do.

Nick, this is how I would handle it!

Cheers.....Rob

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Nick528, @Robin4 is always full of good advice. As I've said before, the master of diplomacy!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kath9

I had a situation earlier this year Kath where a female account holder who lives locally booked a stay of 3 weeks here in our cottage for her parents who reside in Norwich in the UK. 

I agonised over this reservation! A lot can happen in 3 weeks and when the the person who books is not going to actually be part of the stay,  concerns are heightened.

In the end I accepted the reservation....my rationale being, I was bringing a family together! The daughter had not seen her parents for 10 years  and the grandson had never met them. I felt I was making everyone happy and Airbnb look good.

On the third night of the stay the daughter and her parents had what must have been a severe argument, heated words were exchanged and she cut off all contact with them at that point and did not see them again for the duration of the stay.......great, what have I got myself into here!!

With still almost three weeks of their stay remaining we took them under our wing. It is a long arduous journey from Norwich to Mt Barker and they were an elderly couple, him not enjoying the best of health. Fortunately the weather during their entire stay was perfect and we spent many hours outdoors in the garden over cups of tea, a few dinners and more than a few red wines and we became firm friends. It was sad to see them go.

This could have gone terribly off the rails but, it actually ended up a nice experience. ....

Review 3 week stay.png

The only sadness Kath is, their family unit has become shattered, and we did not want to get involved in that...the whys and the wherefores, we just concentrated on being good hosts.

Definitely not a good idea to get involved with 3rd party bookings, you just never know what is around the corner!

Cheers......Rob

Michael2413
Level 3
North Andover, MA

Just be honest so other hosts know!  

I must say, we never wrote bad reviews but are getting into it.  People have ruined towels on us...we gave them 5 stars on cleanliness...we were especially soft with zero reviewed guests...but they've been the worst to us.  It's  time that guests get honest reviews and maybe they'll be better for  other hosts.

Zappa0
Level 10
Key West, FL

I dont let people who aren't staying book for other people. I thought that was airbnb's policy for reasons just like this so that we can hold people accountable. 

Second, the father vouched for her by booking for her. Leave an honest review, and consider not allowing booking for other people in the future.

L--Jay0
Level 3
Leysin, Switzerland

I had a situation where the daughter booked a place for her mother and brother. She started the conversaton as if it was the mother I was speaking to. So, I accepted. Two weeks later I get a booking and it says, My mother and brother will receive the key. WHAT! Now, there is only one week before they arrive. My guess was that the daughter was staying, too. But, find out, it was just the mother and son (brother). They had poor communication. Left early before I could check them out. Trashed the place. Left the lights on. Put the key on the table inside the apartment and left with the door unlocked. 

It could have been much worse. I will not accept third-party bookings. It can all go wrong. And, I will be more careful to check to make sure that the person booking is actually coming to stay in the unit. 

Lesson learned. I submit my experience for the Community. 

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Nick528 I live in a boarder city that channels refugees from a  bad country to a better life. They generally have no access to a credit card so a family member books for them. So far it has gone very well.  I'm willing to take the risk to be able to help these people.  I ask to be sent a picture of the people coming so I know who will be at my door. But regardless if it is the person who booked or not, all reviews should be as honest as possible. Write the review emphasizing that it was the daughter at fault.