How to set the correct expectations

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

How to set the correct expectations

My houses is an original Old Town home downtown Chicago. It is main advantage is a prime location. My price is 90 percent location, 10 amenities. It is a solid two star home if ploped anywhere else. There is not much I can do to improve that. 

My best guests are young groups celebrating something. They usually go out for the most part, slightly drunk and easy going. They are here to walk to the bars and downtown, have a free standing house downtown and a big main level for gathering. They understand what they are paying for. 

The worst are families. They think they are paying for the amenities. They do not even consider a fact that they could not even get a motel room at this price for the family of 10 and a dog. 

The actual complaints are irrelevant. It can be anything from two out four TVs are small, tree branches are too low, one of the walk on closets has my back up items (three other walk ins at the house and average  stay is three nights). Some are even legitimate and I improve but get the next round of complaints. That’s because their expectations do not match the reality. 

I have IB and do not want to change that. 

Is there something I can put in the description that would better set up expectations without turning people off?

17 Replies 17
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Inna22 go ahead and turn them off!! There's certain guests you'd rather not have anyway, so say the things that would make them not come.

"this is a place where you're choosing proximity over beauty. We're best suited to groups who want to be out and about, using the space as a convenient launching pad. If you want a historic mansion or modern day luxuries then please choose elsewhere."

beat them to the punch on the house's pros and cons. If you list out all the possible complaints then you've left them with nothing to argue about after the fact.

you could try it for a bit and see what happens

@Kelly149 Good point about not being afraid to turn them off! 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Inna22, all of your listings look stunning, so what on earth are people complaining about? I would say exactly what you said in your opening paragraph - 90% location, 10% amenities. If people don't read the listing, then that's their problem. Personally, I have no problem turning people off. You can't see my listing at the moment because it's snoozed, but I have a whole spiel of 'off-putting' things to ensure that I don't get people with excessively high expectations for the price of a backpackers.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Inna22  I'll third what Kelly and Kate said- getting the kind of guests who are a good fit for your place is as much about making it unattractive to book for the kind of guests you don't want, as it is about marketing to those you do want. 

Because you're in the city with all the mod-cons, it's something that might not occur to you, whereas hosts with rural, remote, quirky properties do this quite frequently. Such as them putting "No Wifi!" as part of the listing title. That's pretty much guaranteed to ward off digital nomads who'll be shocked and demand a refund.

Play around with wording- you're funny and clever, I'm sure you'll come up with something good. 

Perfect location for urban explorers! Restaurants, bars, shopping, minutes from the front door of this older, private home in the heart of downtown Chicago.  Clean, comfortable, and functional sow's ear- will never feature in Architectural Digest, but location can't be beat. A great space for your group's home base while you explore all the city has to offer. 

This listing is NOT a good choice for families looking for a home-away-from-home in a quiet area. 

@Sarah977 I love the part “not home away from home”. I think it is spot on. That’s what they expect 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Inna22 

Inna, that's why I make my listing homely, welcoming......it's a dam*ed old piece of poorly constructed rubbish, built back in the days when there was no building code. The place is all the time cracking, doors won't close and need to be re-hung, the whole place moves, the maintenance is at me all the time.....but guests just love it. I have only had one review in the last 57 that wasn't 5 star, and that was a 4! 

The things that need to work do.....it has great air conditioning and filtration, it has a specially made 8Ft long electric bed, every guest gets a fridge full of goodies, a cheese plate, and a block of chocolate.  My mum hangs on the wall to welcome them.....

CAM02316 (480x640) (2).jpg

There is a great library of books, original artwork and eclectic things to make it feel like home!

IMG20190429114722.jpg

Inna, you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear but, most who come here say it was just what they were looking for!

My feeling is you have to describe your listing description to a certain type of guest and I have found over the past few years, the less a guest expects, the more they will be delighted with what they get!

And that is what is important! That is what keeps them coming!

Cheers........Rob

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Inna22  I only looked at the listing that has the lower reviews, the one with the blue sofa set.  It looks like an odd mix of high end, and hostel, LOL.  The kitchens are lovely and so are the common spaces, but some of the bedrooms have a different feeling. You know your market best, but maybe consider taking out the the twin bed and the futon from the 2 bedrooms, and change out the lamps in the basement bedrooms to something a little less utilitarian looking...a nicer more stylish table lamp would warm those spaces up a bit. 

I would agree w/the other posters who say to write the intro paragraph mentioning the 'negatives' about the property and trying to write it to attract the sightseers not the stay-home families.  

@Mark116 yes, thats the property. It has two sections and each I think is more or less consistent in style. I do not think changing something like a lamp would spruce it up and the lay out is perfect for my ideal guests. Or all guests actually. I have not had a complaint about the lay out to date

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Inna22 your place looks great. Maybe if you dont accept kids you will get fewer families

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Inna22 Where are you getting this feedback? In the private feedback section of the review? Are the guests messaging you while they are still staying? Are you asking for feedback? These complaints sound so petty I can't even imagine bringing them up unless forced!

@Emilia42  Either at arrival or when I message them the next morning to make sure everything is ok. Typical from the other day: 

There is no soap or body wash in any of the showers and no plastic wrap or aluminum foil in the kitchen. These are very basic for every rental. My daughter had to go to the store to buy these items.

1. Yes, the housekeeper overlooked those. However there are at least 10 bottles on an open shelf in the garage, instructions that they are there in the house book, I have been in constant communication with her so she could have asked and if all else failed, shampoo in the shower. If she realized it once already there should could have used the shampoo that one time. I am sure it is a very similar mix of harmful chemicals 🙂

2. I don’t think plastic wrap is basic. I don’t provide disposables. There are containers and big lids. If she is cooking, she should pick up everything she needs including foil. I would have. Lastly, the store is literally 2 minutes away.  Plenty of options to get through the two nights she is there 

@Inna22 @Those kind of complaints can benefit from a dose of drama, if you’re up for it.

“Oh no! That’s awful. That’s the last straw from that housekeeper, I’m just going to have to let her go! However can I make it up to you?? I can come right over and bring those supplies in from the garage; you really shouldn’t have to worry about these things on vacation!!

and you know I totally agree with you that the kitchen should have everything that you’d have at home, but can you believe that with Covid, the health inspector has demanded that we never leave anything that could have been shared from past guests. Absurd right? I told them that guests totally don’t mind reusing things from people they don’t know. I’m sure you understand! Please lmk if there is anything you need from me! I’m at my kids soccer games today but I could always ditch them if you need me!”

Love it and might actually use it!

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Inna22 I would add something that says:

"Our ideal guests have been groups who understand this is not a suburban family home nor resort hotel. We are a fabulous match for those who want to be in an excellent location that is walkable to many restaurants, bars and shops, and spend time exploring the historic neighborhood. Our space is vintage and quirky and we love guests who appreciate its historic charm as much as we do."