How to set the correct expectations

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

How to set the correct expectations

My houses is an original Old Town home downtown Chicago. It is main advantage is a prime location. My price is 90 percent location, 10 amenities. It is a solid two star home if ploped anywhere else. There is not much I can do to improve that. 

My best guests are young groups celebrating something. They usually go out for the most part, slightly drunk and easy going. They are here to walk to the bars and downtown, have a free standing house downtown and a big main level for gathering. They understand what they are paying for. 

The worst are families. They think they are paying for the amenities. They do not even consider a fact that they could not even get a motel room at this price for the family of 10 and a dog. 

The actual complaints are irrelevant. It can be anything from two out four TVs are small, tree branches are too low, one of the walk on closets has my back up items (three other walk ins at the house and average  stay is three nights). Some are even legitimate and I improve but get the next round of complaints. That’s because their expectations do not match the reality. 

I have IB and do not want to change that. 

Is there something I can put in the description that would better set up expectations without turning people off?

17 Replies 17

@Laura2592 it’s perfect!

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Using everyone's ideas I have put this together

Our ideal guests have been groups who want to splurge on premium location and lots of space. This is not a suburban family home nor a resort hotel. This is an original, vintage and quirky Old Town home. We are not offering high end modern amenities or spa level luxury. There are plenty hotels in Chicago that do. What we are offering is truly unique- a spacious home in the heart of the city.

@Inna22 You may want to incorporate that text into your first message contact with the guest and start a conversation about it (other than just in your listing description.) I do something like that when guests request to book with children. I say something like: Listen, I am not going out of my way to accommodate your kids because this space isn't great for children, the reasoning being xyz. They always come back with: We understand but your location is perfect and we will make it work!  That way it is their responsibility to have a good time in the given circumstance. They have been warned.