Hurricane Dorian

Todd236
Level 3
Weaverville, NC

Hurricane Dorian

I am a big fan of air bnb encouraging us to open up our space for rescue workers, evacuated families and those in need. This week with Hurricane Dorian we hosted a couple from Charleston, SC for three nights and today they head home to get back to life. I am attaching the note they left which was very kind and made me glad to be a part of air bnb!

happy weekend everyone,

Todd

16 Replies 16
Debbie100
Level 3
Jacksonville, FL

So why is it Airbnb doesn't support us in these dire situations?  Have them pay us and they take the financial hit?   Have them increase the insurance and commit to processing claims in favor of hosts rather than guests?   Nah, big corporate and greed.  They expect us to open our homes to people with no verifications -- many on behalf of others so there isn't even a way to associate a post-stay review with them -- and then not only shoulder the loss in revenue, but incur the costs to house and clean after them.  Nope.  I am being slammed with people asking to stay at my home in south Florida and asking for cheaper rates with 6 and 7 people staying.  Who knows how many end up there?  Unfortunately, it is desperate times for them and the requests coming in are just too risky for a private owner.  Perhaps Airbnb should step up and be the good corporate citizen!

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @Debbie100 ,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with potential guests. If you feel inclined, you can direct these guests to our Open Home found here: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/welcome/evacuees/dorianmainland

Many thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines