I love this forum picture

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

I love this forum picture

A presumably single white woman smiling while showing a black male stranger into her high end (million dollar?) suburban home. She's not even opening just the 1 heavy fancy wood door, she's got BOTH doors w-i-d-e open to show she is REALLY ok with this. Does anyone else chuckle at this besides me? Where does airbnb get these pics? They must stage them.  

"Oh hi, come this way into my multi million dollar suburban mansion. You can tell by the $10k doors that this isn't just an average middle income house. You needed a room for the night for $69 right? I know you asked for a discount but $69 is my lowest rate. The local $109 budget motel was too expensive for you I see. Come this way and I will show you to our $69/nite guest room. The door knob costs more than your reservation so please respect my home. I'm sure you've read all of our rules and won't break any of them. Ok great! Sleep well. I know I will!" 

58 Replies 58

@Donald28  43 reviews doesn't mean I've had 43 guests. Not all guests leave reviews, in case you don't know that. 

And you are assuming that 43 reviews means 43 booked nights? What sort of thought process is that? One that never moves beyond your own personal hosting experience, it would appear. Never occurred to you that other hosts' guests might book 10 day-2 week stays? 

what did I say that was racist or sexist against women? 

**[Inappropriate content removed - Community Center Guidelines]

@Donald28  Wow, now you're bragging about your fancy truck? What on earth does what I charge for my rental have to do with the discussion here? Have I said anything about your listing? Talk about deflection.

FYI what I charge for a private room/bath is a fair price, both for me and my guests for what I offer and the area. And no, I don't need to "start renting" a shared home listing with shared kitchen in the middle of a pandemic. That would be the height of stupidity and dangerous behavior. And this is off-season here, anyway- my bookings are generally from Nov through April or May. Before the virus hit, I was quite booked up.

What do you get out of being so insulting? You have zero reason to question my financial situation, which isn't bad at all. I happen to host because I enjoy it and enjoy meeting people from all over. I don't host so I can brag about how much money it brings in.

Me insulting? You're the one calling me a racist and a women hated over and over! How in the world can I not reply to that? You're being far more than insulting to me. You're bordeing on slanderous/libelous. 

Chose your words better sarah when your posting about me or better yet... don't post about me at all. I surely couldn't give a care what some lady in mexico with 43 reviews over 4 long years has to say. I'm not going to rag on you for no reason like you rag on me. 

Jelly much? Geez. Get over it. 

How pathetic @Donald28

Where have i said anything misogynistic?  Do you even know what that word means? You think you do but you obviously do not.

Again, you're spewing out words that you have no clue what they even mean. 

Where have I posted ANYTHING even remotely ..."strongly prejudiced against women"? <---the definition of misogynistic. 

@Donald28   Why $69??  OK I get it now!!  That's a good one.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Donald28 

Don, you are becoming a bit of a 'prickly' ol' bugger lately! ;-((

Ever since that 13 year old kid threw a ball at your irreplaceable neon sign, your tolerance level to guests seems to be disappearing in a puff of smoke at an alarming rate!

These days you seem to have in for older people, fat people, colored people, support people, Dems!

You are going to be running out of classes of guests that you will accept at this rate before the end of the year Don!

I sort of held you up in awe there for a couple of years. People being what they are, any host who would willing allow  random guests to mingle amongst (and fiddle with) not only many thousands of dollars of potentially irreplaceable equipment, but a lifetime passion, had to be one of the best, most accommodating hosts going round!  

Hopefully it's not affecting your bookings, but wow, you seem to be getting the odd back or two up here mate.

I know this good psyco-the-rapist who is helping me from making too much of a prat of myself. I can give you her details, she probably does online, every professional does these days........it might mellow you a bit!

All in good fun, stay safe Don!

Cheers.......Rob

I am becoming the quintessential "grumpy old man" a lot sooner than most people do. I attribute the fasttrack to airbnbs lack of caring for its hosts and its sometimes idiotic, moronic and disrespectful guests. 

Yesterday afternoon, a guests supposed "friendly & submissive" dog bit my dog without warning, 20 seconds after meeting. I have to take him to the vet today.  

In 3 years of being "dog friendly" here at our airbnb, this hasn't happened because I make sure to ask each guest about their dogs temperament, socialization and biting potential. This is her response before I clicked the accept reservation button...  "When we take him on walks, he either lays down in submission or wags his tail and sniffs the other dogs. We've never seen him show any signs of attacking anyone or any animal." 

The dog didn't lay down, wag its tail or sniff my dog. He just immediately bit him. She later tells me they got him from the humane society recently and really didn't know what he was capable of. Yea I'm prickly. 

I come here to blow off steam with other hosts and am quickly called a misogynistic racist by hosts like sarah (who aren't even hosting people now!). When I don't have this outlet, it may start affecting my bookings. We shall see. The $6k a month will be sorely missed but airbnbs ever changing, anti-host policies and it's guests will not. 

In my defense, you all are just mainly seeing my negative side. I come here to blow off steam and hopefully have like minded people sympathize with me on the sh*t that sometimes happens to an airbnb host. I don't come here daily to while away the hours and "chat" like some do.  I could come here to post about the many wonderful families, couple, people and dogs I host on a regular basis but I'm busy. If you want to know that side of me, go read my 550 five star reviews from people that have met me, stayed here, eaten, drank, swam, talked and played pinball with me. 

@Donald28 I have always thought that at times every individual must draw from a broad philosophical base in order to stay sane in these very frustrating times; especially when 'The Herd' (aka humanity) takes off in one of their endless, foolish directions, wastes a lot of time, only to turn around and be right back. History is full of examples of this human instinct. 

Till  things get back to 'normal', best to grab the great opportunity to stay busy doing the things you always wanted to but never had the time. Above all make sure to 'live along the way' meantime, one day at a time.

P.S. This subject makes me think of John Dunne's work 'No Man is an Island'.  No punt intended.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Donald28 

"coming from another leftist femanazi with too much time on her hands"

"Where have i said anything misogynistic?"

Do you have a favorite drug, or do you just throw them all in a bowl and surprise yourself?

Katie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your participation in this thread.

Having read through this thread, I have noticed that certain comments on this discussion have become very personal and lacking in respect; this does not benefit the community, and nor does it fit with our guidelines.

I'm afraid the thread has now escalated to the point where I believe that further discussion is not beneficial anymore, so this topic will now be closed for further comments.

If you have concerns about anything discussed here, please do reach out to me directly via DM.

Katie