Including HST in Ontario, Canada

Josee8
Level 1
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada

Including HST in Ontario, Canada

Hello everyone.  There seems to have been some changes to AirB&B since the last time this question has been asked.  How do I collect the 13% HST tax on the entire price of my rental? 

Josee

9 Replies 9
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Josee8 there is no way to automate the process. You either have to send a request for money through Airbnb, or collect it in cash. The easiest way to do it is to roll it into your pricing: guests don't tend to like extra charges. 

Josee8
Level 1
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada

I have been doing this with other rental companies since 2004. I am shocked that the HST is not automatically calculated.  Any and all taxes in whatever province, country you live in should be part of  the program in your particular area. I am finding AirB&B is like a discounted airline.  It looks good on the surface but when you actually go to use it, it is not worth the extra effort it requires.  Not impressed.  Thank you for your response.  I will just up all my prices across the board.  

I do not agree at all. Taxation is a country request, not Airbnb responsability, it should not be automatic except if there is an agreement between the country and Airbnb (for example China has one).

Stephane, all other systems automatically collect it. 

If we are legally required to collect it  there should be a way.

It's how to be a good corporate citizen at VERY least.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

ABB is based in the USA. They don't have branches everywhere.

For the EU, the local office is in Ireland. So ... since they are not a local company, I am responsible for collecting and paying all consumption taxes, like 20% VAT.

I think in Canada you are in the same situation.
There are no taxes in the invoices I receive. Accordingly, I owe 9% VAT over the price of the reservations, 20% over the service fee and 10% general corporate tax. None of them can be collected automatically.

Kelly896
Level 1
Ontario, Canada

We just started hosting,  do we claim this on our income tax? 

YES! It is income! and then you can have expense deductions.

I am in the same predicament ,do not know how that works

I charge taxes weekly but if they stay a month i give tem tax credit