Income reported to city/county?

Kate440
Level 1
Paso Robles, CA

Income reported to city/county?

Hi everyone-

Airbnb does not collect TOT taxes in my town. Will they still send some form of report for my income received directly to the city/county?

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Kate440  Air BNB would not have a mechanism to report listing activity to any municipality unless there was an agreement to collect and remit occupancy taxes.  If they have such an agreement, there is no individual host information provided.  Hope this helps, Linda

Tim498
Level 1
Austin, TX

Hi @Linda108, I just want to understand what you're saying. When AirBnB collects and remits an occpancy tax to a city or state, they do not include information on the individual hosts that are operating in that area? 

I got this email from them in April of last year: "We’re happy to announce that starting on May 01, 2017, Airbnb will begin collecting and remitting the following tax(es) on behalf of Airbnb hosts with listings in your State".

Thank You!

@Tim498  Air BNB remits the taxes in a lump sum.  You will have details in your transaction history.  My city decided to cancel the contract because of the lump sum issue and the inability to link to each individual host.  

@Tim498  AirBnB made a deal with Texas. They collect 6% and only pay the 5%, so it's another revenue maker for AirBnB,. They turn it in as one lump sum. I list on other sites where I have to pay the state, so the gross earnings amount on my Bexar county tax form usually do not agree with my Texas state tax form. I print off a monthy report showing what AirBnB paid and keep it with my records as proof of payment should I be questioned on this at a future date.