Instant Book Not Good for Host

Marla12
Level 2
Washington, DC

Instant Book Not Good for Host

Hey everyone

After Hosting for  several years discovered what Instant Book really means and very disappointed with AIRBNB. 

Instant Book- any person(s) who has a credit card can Book your Space-no verifications of any kind and no photo.

When we first Listed we did not know it but it was on by 'default' . We never liked heea of total unknowns in our Spaces. Only recently learned we did not even have matching photo to Govenrment ID turned on- didnt know it existed.

Its safe to say we all know how AIRBNB corporate pushes Instant Book- because it makes a lot of-you guessed it-revenue. For us as Hosts its unsafe and risky and we are offended by it. Imagine anyone with a credit card Booking your Space without you knowing anything at all? Have read the stories of Hosts who turn it off and get no Bookings- not sure - that would certainly be hateful and malevolent on AIRBNB. But we are genuinely frightened of INstant Book- it places us at risk.

8 Replies 8
Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

I think it’s the general consensus here among hosts that instant book is pretty disadvantageous to the host, but we’re strong armed into doing it since there would’ve no bookings otherwise. And I totally agree, it’s not only disadvantageous,  but irresponsible and dangerous for Airbnb to promote it so heavily without doing background checks or at minimum gov ID required. I found out the hard way that they do t do background checks. Hosting isn’t for someone with zero risk tolerance these days. If I were the CEO I don’t know if I could sleep at night. 

Zolly0
Level 3
East Fremantle, Australia

If you agree to Instant Book, you can set your acceptance level. You don't have to accept anyone you are unhappy with. "Guest Requirements" is  where you tick the boxes you require Airbnb to check.

Then "Guest Trip Info" is where you ask the guest questions.

As you can see, it says "if you are uncomfortable with their answers, cancel penalty-free."

My understanding is that we don't have to accept just anybody.

Yes true, but what is not mentioned is you are only allowed 3 penalty free cancellations a year. End of next month I add the Cottage to the Guest house currently available. I will as a host only be allowed the 3 penalty free period between both properties. So I cancel 2 on one property I have one left to use between both properties for the balance of the year and no where is it expained what the year timeframe is based on. Is it date of cancellation, calendar year, quarterly like super host assessment, etc.??? 

Per AirBnb CS: Unfortunately, Instant Booking free cancellation option is available three times per hosts - no matter how much properties you have on your profile as that is one of the factors in your Host status, among the response rate, number of check-outs and 5-star reviews.

Zolly0
Level 3
East Fremantle, Australia

I think this policy doesn't apply with Instant Book:

-----------------
How do penalty-free cancellations work for Instant Book hosts?

Instant Book hosts can cancel 100% penalty-free under certain circumstances:

Unlimited cancellations

Hosts never have to host a reservation they’re uncomfortable with.

Some examples of when a host can cancel penalty-free include:

• The guest has several unfavourable reviews that concern the host
  • The guest hasn’t responded to questions the host needs to know about their trip
  • The guest makes it clear they’ll likely break one of the host’s house rules, like bringing a pet or smoking
100% penalty-free

Penalty-free means:

• No cancellation fee
  • No automated cancellation review
  • No loss of Superhost eligibility
  • No permanently blocked dates

Remember, you can’t cancel for any reason that violates Airbnb's nondiscrimination policy.

We have your back:

Guests who don’t meet your requirements will send a reservation request. If you’re ever uncomfortable with a reservation, before or during a trip, you can cancel penalty-free.

-------------

I have had 2 guests so far send a reservation request instead of IB. In both cases they didn't have one of my requirements: "good reviews from other hosts", "verified govt id". I declined both of them.

What that policy note should say is “abb my cancel unlimited IB reservations that they agree a host may feel uncomfortable about”. Otherwise, leti is right, you may cancel 3x on your own but no more

We checked the box stating they must be recommended and have no negative reviews and we STILL get instant bookings!  I thought it was just a glitch the first time it happened but we just had it happen again and they completely trashed our house.  Has anyone else run into this issue?

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I use IB and prefer it, horses for courses. So not always bad news.

Now I did not start with IB, gave it I think a month.

David

Worst. Guest is now know how to exploit the rules pretty well. I had one booking my place for sex and another one with a 12 tonne truck. I have to phone them to verify a few things, one of them being dubious and not answering my question at all, yet some how being instant booked into my place.  Then I have to ring AirBnB to cancel because there is no way I can cancel it withing the AirBnB site. Changes in my setting for booking requirement, house rules etc... But how many can you add?

Worst. Turn off instant booking will mean that AirBnB will not verify Government ID of guest. In another words, do it at your own risk. Any child can create a false identity with email, social account, phone number ...Government ID is the only thing I can rely on first then subsequent communication to screen out unsuitable guest.

AirBnB is being manipulative and put Host into a corner, they set up for the host to fail.