Instant booking: Plus or Minus?

Instant booking: Plus or Minus?

I am a rather new host, and 'accidentally' had the instant book feature turned on for my second booking. I prefer to message at length with my prospective 'roommate' as this is a long term (3 months plus) shared house situation. I did not have the opportunity to do so with my last guest, who did book instantly - luckily he turned out to be delightful. Is it worth turning instant book on again for the visibility it affords? I received more inquiries as a result of this feature. Can you decline an instant booking after conversing with the prospective guest? PS Instant booking is turned off now in my account, and I do feel more comfortable.

29 Replies 29

@Helen427,  I agree about the long-term reservations. More needs to be discussed. But do you think turning instant booking off would have prevented these unpleasant guests?

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Emilia @Alberta12@Pete69@Letti0@Kimberly54@Rosalva I feel it would be of mutual benefit to all parties if there was info provided to new hosts when creating there listing but that said maybe it is somewhere in systems  and those who aren't so computer or airbnb aware don't know it exisits until we have learnt the hard way.

I've taken it upon myself to incorporate refence to IB for longer term Guests in my listing whereas before I didn't have that info there.

Maybe Airbnb could include a category in the Listing somewhere about it for everyone's bettermemt, esp know we are all been confronted with xyz days of council bylaws in whatever shape or form so we can all have peaceful relations in the world.

Thoughts others?

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Emilia42, yes it needs to b discussed for everyone's betterment.

I'm really not sure if turning IB off would help.

Communication, effective communication, from all parties goes a long way so everyone  benefits.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

For everyone in this thread, about what percent of your guests are instant book guests?

And when they do use IB do they tend to be booking same day to one or two days out?

@Pete69  I would say my guests instant book at least 90+% of the time. I do get a lot of 1-2 days out, but even my 3-9 months out tend to use instant booking. Sameday bookings at least for me and the way I have it setup cannot instant book they must request to book. 

About 99%, I think I had one guest who requested to book. I am not sure why, I think to ask me a silly question, which was stated in my listing. When I went to answer an hour later the dates were already instant booked by someone else. These guests can book anywhere from 8 months out to the day before. I get a few 1 or 2 days before but more likely if someone is booking at "last minute" its usually 5-7 days out.

Actually it appears as though when you as a host allow instant book then it will just say "Book" instead of "Request to Book". I was trying to guage how much it increases bookings. Makes sense that 90 - 99% of people use instant book.  I don't think many people click "Instant book" when searching though. Airbnb claims that it increases the chances of your listing appearing in search results by 230% or something like that. But I have a hard time believing that more than half of people turn on that instant book button.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Interesting question here @Pete69. Perhaps you could start a new topic completely to ask this, so more of the community see it? 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Yeah I have decided against using instant book. I need for me (a real human) to screen out people who want to bring pets, don't have a selfie pic that accurately depicts who exactly is checking in, etc. Plus very few hosts in my area are actually using IB.

@Pete69    I've never used Instant Book, for the obvious reasons of wanting to get a read on guests before approving their booking. But then, unlike a lot of hosts, I'm not that concerned with having my place fully booked- quality rather than quantity is what I'm after. And I have to say, it has worked out well- I can't say I've ever had a "bad" guest, and the majority have been delightful. And basically all of them have taken the time to read through my listing description, they don't just look at photos and prices.

What's interesting is that if we get into an Airbnb discussion (I have a lot of interaction with most of my guests, so it usually does come up at some point) the majority of my guests have told me they would never Instant Book. They want to get a feel for the host they'll be staying with just as much as I want to get a feel for the guests. So while it seems we live in a society now where many people want "instant gratification" and quick and effortless tasks (I recently read a study where about 80% of teenagers said they preferred texting with their friends, as opposed to face-to-face contact, which I found quite sad), there are still plenty of folks out there who want the opportunity to decide based on a message or two with the host. So basically, I'm getting guests whose attitudes and priorities are similar to mine, which of course works out well in a shared home situation.  

If you're sharing space with people then even more important to pre-screen.

@Pete69

I have always kind of thought the opposite of this. I have an in-law apartment attached to my house so guests are not right on top of me; but I have no problem putting this on instant book with no additional requirements other than acceptance of my house rules. I can keep a good eye on the apartment and the guests. And I honestly think that if I were listing a room in my house it would be the same thing. I am right there so I can easily communicate and stop any shenanigans before it happens. I have another larger apartment out of my eyesight and while this is on instance book, I have all the additional requirements set, and I get more nervous. If I am not there I need to establish a better trust of these guests. Who knows what could happen. I would also never rent a house or apartment that I could not easily check up on, instant book or not. I have only just recently had one instant book guest (out of 150) that after a short conversation (after booking) we both decided it was best for him to cancel and he did. So even if all my guests did “request to book” I wouldn’t be declining them anyway. Whether or not the conversation comes before or after the confirmation, I try to welcome all people. That being said I am mostly dealing with 1- 3 night stays; so if I may not particularly love a guest they are gone before I know it. Maybe this is backwards thinking but just how I feel.

@Pete69, @Sarah977 spelled it out perfectly for me.  (Sarah, thanks for saving me the typing!)

Kim
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Lovely to meet you @Alberta12. Welcome to the Community Center an to the world of Airbnb hosting. 🙂

I suppose my question back to your question would be, what are reasons for not wanting Instant Book on? Then perhaps you can weigh up your pros and cons for what fit well for you as a host. 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi Lizzie,

I just have been able to weigh in with some of the recent posts in this conversation - My situation is a house share - the guest/roommate and I would live side by side in a small but spacious rowhouse of 1700 square feet (the guest room is next to my room). It is important to me to feel secure with anyone who is going to be living in such close proximity to me, so I feel instant book does not afford enough conversation/messaging that helps both the guest and I feel like it is a comfortable, good match up. But maybe there is a way to have such a dialogue with instant book?