Internet packages

Jeanne214
Level 2
United Kingdom

Internet packages

Hello,

We have recently discovered, while revising our internet costs, that some guests had signed up for an adult TV package while staying in our house. The cost of the package is almost 30 Euros per month, and it has been 3 years ago! So in total, a loss of more than 1100 Euros for us... You would wonder how comes we haven't noticed before, but if you are like us, you would receive several invoices online for several internet, mobile, TV providers, so it is not that easy to spot! We did think that our internet cosst were high, but never thought that someone could have signed up for extras. And it is now too late for us to claim the money back.

We are now aware of the problem, and would like to make other hosts aware too! We have now blocked the right to subscribe to any new package without going through many security checks. Please do the same.

11 Replies 11
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

WOW!  That is one big expense for a lesson to be learned, @Jeanne214.  If that happened to me, I would be able to amend my income taxes to take off the expense.  Possible for you as well?

When it was added, how did you not notice your bill increased by that amount? I would also question the service provider how did just anyone have authorization to make changes to your account.  

You must go into your internet provider info and put in a password so no one can’t access it without a password. 

Chee-Hiung0
Level 2
Kuala Belait, Brunei

Wow so u paid for 3 whole years and never got to enjoy a minute of it? Its a waste if u ask me lol...

Grenell0
Level 2
Somerset Village, Bermuda

@Jeanne0

Thanks for sharing Jeanne. I'm new here and just joined in August. I didn't think anyone could alter an account without the proper security  codes.I would get with the provider, That should never happen.

Lesson learned.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Jeanne, you must make a complaint to the Police to ensure it's on official record.

Contact your provider and ask for copies of all your data, including that of authorisation documents.

It's a criminal offence under UK Govt legislation and who is to know what other offending the said person /people have committed.

Most data, especially through electronic devices, is able to be traced and pinpointed to the exact time and location it was done, including through the so called VPN/ or "Dark web".

Thanks for alerting others who may not be used to such dishonesty.

Jeanne214
Level 2
United Kingdom

Thank you for your comments. I know we should have noticed the increase in our internet fees, but as payment is by direct debit and the invoices arrive by email, it is rather easy to forget about checking the bills every time...and before you know it we got used to the new amount without truly noticing the change (which happened in summer, not truly a moment when I take the time to look at every bill...). Also, I had no idea that that could happen, I thought there would be a pin number or password! You actually have to check with your TV/internet provider that there is indeed a code, as it is not by default. I just want people to be aware of it!

Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

Hello @Jeanne214 - 

I had the same thing to happen at my house, a guest added a menu to our Comcast and I didn't notice it for a couple of months. I had my provider help me to add a password to my service, so now I rest a easier after that surprising discovery. I now make sure I check everything,  forks and spoons, dinnerware and towels on checkout.  But, for the most part I have had the best guests ever.

Happy hosting,

Linda

Catherine232
Level 10
Vancouver, Canada

Sometimes I wish we had a broader range of icons with which to respond to posts on the board! A thumbs up is definitely not what I want for this one. Sorry this happened. Once again, it never ceases to amaze me how entitled guests feel to rearrange, take, use, in this case, add to the amenities they already received. Our last guests dumped all their accumulated detritus of a long holiday in Canada in our back porch. They also left us bags and bags of dirty diapers, little ziploc baggies of poopy wipes, and some of the garbage was dripping >.< They managed to find the liquor store, several blocks away, but not our garbage cans. UGH! Not as bad as what you had by a long shot, but all part of the continuum for me. Our most recent did leave a portable crib. I need to take a look at it and see if I can sell. We have a nice one already, and this is a not-so-nice model. If I can make a few bucks though, I will feel less irritated.

@Catherine232  Wait on that, with the way things are going with some guests you may be asked to ship it back to them lol...

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh no @Jeanne214, I bet this was a bit of a shock. Perhaps, if you haven't already you could speak with you provider and explain what has happened, maybe there is something they can do?

Thanks for highlighting this though, as I am sure you are not alone in this happening to you. Have you now put extra measures in place, like an additional password, to prevent this? 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.