Is it normal to get 2 booking requests from 2 very new AirBnB "guests" in one day?

Is it normal to get 2 booking requests from 2 very new AirBnB "guests" in one day?

I am asking because we are new to hosting on AirBnB and is trying to pull up our ratings. We have not booked anybody at all yet. And suddenly 2 new guests tried to book with us today. I went with my gut feel not to approve them, just yet. But I want to know if there has already been "scammers" reported on AirBNB? I have had good ratings as a guest.  And good experiences too.  Just tried listing our place very recently and is still on curious and interest mode.  

thank you for any replies.  And I would appreciate if someone can help me/us run through being a successful host.  🙂 

12 Replies 12
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Mike-And-Myonee0  Your listing pictures are not very attractive, but listing is priced well for the guest that is looking for a basic place to sleep.  When you are new host to Air BNB, you are given a boost in the search parameters so you can get guests.  Don't decline if you can help it, but don't accept if the guest seems really sketchty.  You need reviews and activity.  All hosts get requests or inquiries from new Air BNB travelers, so the best response is to ask more questions about why the traveler is coming to your area and what do they like about your listing.  Why are you thinking the requests came from scammers?  

Hi @Linda0.  Myonee here.  Will edit the listing... wordings.  Thank you for the advises. I did return to them with some questions. So let's see. Reason i doubted them was .. 1 had a weird profile picture. Like that of someone wearing a mask and said he is looking for a place to "relax and recuperate." The other one just created his profile today. 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Mike-And-Myonee0I would seriously look at revamping your wording, as well as adding more pictures. 3 is not enough, and the pictures you have are extremely basic. You don't have any pictures of the shared spaces or bathroom, for example. 

The wording also doesn't say much. Your title is extremely basic, and you don't say anything about the shared spaces in your home. You need more info on what the guest can expect if they stay with you. 

It's pretty normal to get inquiries from new guests with no Airbnb history. Do you see specific red flags? Some common ones would be no photo or profile info; people whose profile say they are local but are trying to book with you; and people who don't say anything in their booking inquiry. 

Hi Alexandra. Your suggestions and questions are noted.  Thank you. I will take more photos in the morning. And is seriously considering rewording the profile. 

well, one inquiry had a "weird" profile photo of someone wearing a mask. The other was from someone who just did his profile today. 

Again, thanks for the comment. 

@Mike-And-Myonee0  I think @Alexandra316 was referring more to the wording of your listing than the wording of your profile. The wording of your listing will attract a certain type of guest to be attracted to it, altho it is true that many guests don't read much of the listing info. But all the guests I have had say they do read through the listing info and that my description made them want to stay here. In coming up with good wording, consider the type of guest you would be most comfortable with- what would attract them to your area and your home? Try to let your own personality come through- if we sound like dull and boring strictly-business types, interesting people will not be very enticed, and vice-versa. Do you appreciate artistic people? Sporty ones? Quiet or talkative? Put some things in the description which would appeal to those people and make them think that your place would be a great place to stay and you would be hosts they would feel comfortable with.

Read through some other hosts' listing descriptions to get ideas- I'm sure we all struggled with it when we first listed and many hosts go in reguarly to tweak the info and wording as we find out what guests are looking for and what "grabs" them.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Mike-And-Myonee0 Since you're new at this and it can be nerve-wracking initially to have strangers in your home, I suggest you change your booking settings so that you only accept guests with previous Airbnb Reviews. You can still be on Instant Book using this, and it adds some measure of comfort knowing the guest has stayed in an ABB before, and hopefully has at least one good review. Also: The more professional your space / photos / listing looks, the less scammers will be interested in it, as these unseemly types tend to prey on the vulnerable and inexperienced. You also could leave Instant Booking off, but ABB search algorithms favor Instant Book listings.

Noted.  Thank you. 

Myonee

Good post @Rebecca181. Can you make 'Reviews Required' (or whatever is called) using non-Instant Booking? That be cool.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Fred13 Sure you can, but not via ABB's user interface: You'd have to go rogue (i.e., put it in your 'House Rules' or somewhere prominent in the listing). A host's gotta do what a host's gotta do!

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Although the thing to rememeber is that putting stuff in your listing rules (which few actually read) doesn't hold any water. Just be careful that you don't keep turning bookings down, or they'll dry up. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Advice re mask wearing: That is a bit off, so instead of declining (too late now, but anyway...) simply ask the guest to fill in their profile, and put up a proper pic. They obviously know how to do it. Engage in a conversation if you feel concerned, rather than declining. You have a priviledged position whilst you are new to get a foothold, after that you will slip down and if you have had only declines and no actual bookings you will have a hard time regaining good placement. Just saying.

Accept if at all possible.

Elizabeth429
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Mike-And-Myonee0,

Hello guys,

Most of my guests are first timers. And of course, on my first reply I always make sure they have read my house rules and ask them to properly fill in their profile in case they havent.

I have to say they all have been respectful and considerate during the whole process from making the enquiries to the day they have left my home.

Sometimes I find multi booking guests are more vicious because they have learnt how to cheat the system such as booking for one when there are more guests staying (knowing nobody will be there to check them in), abusing the house services (keeping the heating up when it isnt necessary) or threatening with leaving a bad review (because they know how important it is for the host).

Like @Sandra126 have said, engage in a conversation to evaluate their reaction first.