Jacuzzi Tub Complaint

Sarah522
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Jacuzzi Tub Complaint

Hi everyone!  I am a brand new host and I currently have zero reviews (although I have reviews as a guest).  I have my first guest staying in my condo as we speak.  I advertised the condo as "Bright condo with fireplace and jacuzzi tub" in the header.  I received a text from the guest this morning that he had tried to use the jacuzzi tub but that there wasn't enough hot water to fill it up.  I will have a plumber come to look at it this week.  The only thing I can think is that it is 30 degrees outside (it works perfect in Spring/Summer), but will see what the plumber says.  

I changed the header of the listing after his complaint (and will take out the "jacuzzi tub" part until cleared by a plumber), and promptly responded "Oh no!  Not sure what is going on there but I will look into it next week.  Thanks for letting me know."  

I'm renting it out for 135/night for 2BR/2BA with 2 functioning showers, which is a bargain for being in the hottest part of the city.  Should I also refund him for a partial amount, like $50?  Or is a prompt reply enough?  

Thank you!

9 Replies 9
Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

If you are able to go over there in person and address the issue yourself that will save you the headache later on. I had a similar plumbing issue with a guest and after check out the guest wanted the ENTIRE amount refunded because she said she didnt have hot water in the shower. I was a bit shocked because she never brought it up after I told her how it works. Well she ended up getting ZERO money back because I called a plumber to come out the day after her check out to see what the issue was. Well the plumber couldnt find an issue and neither could I. In your case you HAVE to have a plumber look at the work IMMEDIATELY after the guest checks out or better yet message the guest that you will have one come over during their stay. If they decline then they cant ask for a refund at the end if you offered to address the situation during their stay. You may think youre interuppting their stay by having a plumber come over, but if they felt it important enough to message you then you can bet they'll remember the issue when it comes to review time and also when they want to file a dispute. Please don't delay.

Thanks for your response!  I purchased Home Warranty insurance when I bought the condo, which covers any problem "walls in" the condo for only a $60 copay.   I called them immediately to alert them of the jacuzzi tub not filling with "enough" hot water (per the guest complaint).  The Home Warranty company is going to send out a plumber this week to diagnose if there is a problem, but it takes about 2 business days for them to organize (since there is still more than enough hot water to utilize both showers, it is not a plumbing emergency).   Please note that the jacuzzi tub itself is still fully functional, just water not "hot enough."   I'm not going to pay a plumber to come out last minute during weekend hours (way more $$$) to come diagnose the problem while the guest is still in there.  That would cost me way more than I am making by Airbnb-ing this weekend, and the problem may not even be valid.  

As the poster below wrote, I do believe that the lack of hot water when filling the huge jacuzzi tub is that it is too cold outside (30 degrees) to facilitate warm enough water, so I will just remove the jacuzzi tub from the listing and state in the listing that it is not suitable for use during winter months.  

What is crazy to me is that the guest wants "50% refund and then he will give me a great review."  If you look at that statement from the otherside, the implication that if I don't give him a 50% refund I won't get a good review is like extortion.  I am very fair and agree that the inconvenience should warrant a bit of a refund (maybe $50) but 50%?!?!  That is crazy.  And I hate feeling blackmailed.  

Life isn't fair and to AirBnB it doesnt matter if the problem is valid or not. Should you end up in dispute resolution, which sometimes takes a guest a few days to draft a really awful claim, you'll have to show proof to AirBnB that you had the issue looked at within 72 hours and BEFORE the next guest checks in. If thats not done the guest would win the dispute and you'll be out the entire amount if the entire amount is in disupte. Guests get crafty and blow things out of porportion when it comes to the smallest thing. Ive seen it happen time and time again. 

In regards to the extortion may I suggest copying the message and confirming via AirBnB messaging to the guest saying: "I received a personal message from you stating that if I provide you a 50% refund you would write me a good review. Is that correct?" That will nail the guest at that point and they will loose all credibility. They clearly aren't new to this and dont want to get caught.

Also, any plumbing company will charge you about $50 to diagnose an issue. You can either pay $50 to the guest or to the plumber. Id say spend it on the plumber and kill two birds with one stone. You can use that diagnosis to at least show AirBnB that you were having the issue looked at or that there wasnt an issue at all. If paying a plumber costs more than youre making over the weekend then you may want to either increase your rates or just remove the amentity of a jacuzzi altogether.

Just my thoughts. Let us know how it all works out.

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

Is this a Jacuzzi Bathtub, or a full size Hot Tub?  Unless it is a "Hot Tub" I wouldn't advertise it in the title.

I don't have Jacuzzi Bathtubs in any of my rentals, but I've installed them for myself in the last two places we've lived.  The maximum water temperature coming out of the faucet can vary throughout the year depending upon the outside temperature and time of year.  The "Hot" water is held at a fairly constant temperature, while the "Cold" water is going to reflect the temperature of the ground that the pipes feeding into your house is.  Your Cold water is going to be colder in the winter, and warmer in the summer. 

I don't know what your Water Heater is set to, but most hold the temperature somewhere between 110 and 120 degrees.  The Size of your water heater and the temperature of the "Cold" water entering your house (and water heater) are going to determine how quickly you "Run out" of hot water.  If you've got a 30 gallon water heater, and a 70 gallon bathtub, you're going to have warm water most of the time.  

If the temperature was fine for you during the summer, it could be a simple matter of having the maximum temperature of the bathtub's mixing valve adjusted UP in the winter, so that the water temperature coming out of the spout is hotter.  But if your water heater isn't big enough that alone isn't going to be much help.

Though not an exact ratio, think of it this way.  If you take a gallon of water at 110 degrees, and add a gallon of 70 degree water to it, you're going to have two gallons of water at around 90 degrees.   If instead of adding a gallon of 70 degree water, you add a gallon of 50 degree water, you're going to have two gallons of water somewhere around 80 degrees.  I don't know how cold your water gets in Seattle in February....  but what if it's around 40 degrees?  The max temperature is going to be around 75 degrees when you blend a 50/50 mix of Hot and Cold Water.  If your water heater is storing 30 gallons, as you use the water in the tank it is replaced with Cold water.... So as soon as the Hot Water starts flowing, it begins to cool from the maximim temperature you have your water heater set to.  When you've used half the water in that tank, the output temperature has fallen way below that maximum temperature.

You might get away with simply adjusting the maximum temperature in your water heater, and adjusting the mixing valve at the bathtub to increase the ratio of Hot vs. Cold water flowing into the tub (And you'll want to adjust it back down in the summer so you're not scalding your guests and wasting energy at the same time.)

Hi Mark! 

Yes, I do believe this is the problem.  For 60 bucks I am going to have a plumber (from my Home Warranty Company) come out and take a look at what the problem is.  If the problem is the size of the water heater vs the size of the tub (being bigger), I will take it up with them.  I'm also going to ask my neighbors (with the same type tub) if they have any issues.  And I took your advice and have removed the jacuzzi tub feature from the listing.  

I see that you are a Level 9 host, which is awesome.  What sort of refund should I give this guest?  I am a bit insulted that he wrote me (on my cell phone text, which from my experience this time have learned that all communication should go thru the Airbnb platform) that if I give him a 50% refund he will give me a good review in exchange.  A 50% refund because the water wasn't warm enough in the jacuzzi tub!?!?!  I do feel as if a refund (maybe 50 bucks) is in order, as I did make the mistake of advertising the jacuzzi tub in the header (which is why he said he selected my place).  What do you suggest?  Please note I have no reviews, as this is my very first guest.  I just HATE feeling strongarmed and extorted.  

I'm better at sweating two pieces of copper pipe together than I am at dealing with the technical aspects of transferring that text message into something that you can forward to AirBnB.  Personally, I wouldn't be insulted... I'd be angry that a guest would use the threat of Review Extortion to get a refund.  You need to find a way to get a copy of that threatening text message into the hands of the folks at AirBnB.

I've never issued a refund or a partial refund for anything.  I've had little things go wrong...  Airconditioners failing in the extreme summer heat... pipes develop a leak due to age...  Microwaves decide to die... Toilets back up and overflow because fat people don't know how to put down the fork... but I've never had anyone even hint that a refund of any kind was in order.

The water isn't hot enough for your guests liking?  I'm sorry to hear that.  Was there anything else?  Did the maid screw up and not clean properly? Bed not made? Dishes put away with bits of yesterdays breakfast stuck between the plates, and lipstick prints on the wine glasses?  Did the Fireplace fail to deliver a nice warm heat, or set a romantic mood?  If this bathtub was installed by the builder I'm sure the architect of the condo project made sure the water heater met the demands of the the apartment it serves.  Unless there is something wrong with the water heater (Which was delivering an acceptable amount of hot water to make you comfortable when you used it last) I'd speculate that there is something wrong with your guest.

If I was inclined to issue a refund of any kind, a guests threat of Extortion would thoroughly piss me off.  Hell NO...  Get on the phone with AirBnB right now, and let them know that your guest is using the threat of a bad review as extortion.  THAT is not what the review process is for, and what your guest has suggested is an abuse of the system.  AirBnB is running a big "Belong Anywhere" campaign... but that kind of a guest doesn't belong anywhere but a cheap motel at the botom of an interstate offramp.

@Sarah522

Hi Sarah. 

First, you did advertise it as a key feature of your property. It was there in the headline text, so one would expect it to be in full working order.

You are doing everything in your power to get it remedied and I would point this out politely to the guest - via the platform. I would also say something lilke,..... while I am prepared to consider a partial refund, once I understand how many days the tub will be out of order, it is against AirBnB policy to threaten to leave a bad review unless a 50% refund is provided.

I would then wait to see how many days it is out of order - or not usable as expected. Then I would make the refund offer via the platform. I think 50% is way too much - even for something advertised as a key feature of the property. 

Personally, I would offer 20% for each day that it is not working as expected. I think AirBnB would side with the guest on this occasion, so be prepared for a bit of bargaining - and at the end of the day probably not a great review. I would tackle this by leaving a neutral review of the guest, mentioning the issue with jaccuzi, thanking them for their patience while you sorted it out. Then if they leave  a bad review, you can react to that by expressing your disappointment at their threat of leaving a bad review if they did not get a 50% discount. Keep it professional - as you are already doing!

Good luck

If there is enough hot water to run two showers, the problem is not with the water heater... the problem is with the guest. 

Again... whether or not I had even considered a partial refund due to inconvenience, that thought would go immediately out the window the moment a guest threatens to use the AirBnB Review System in extortion.  No....  No refund. 

Contact AirBnB immediately and let them know that your guest is abusing the intent of the Review system, and is attempting to use it in an extortion attempt to receive an absurd 50% refund because the water isn't hot enough to scald his butt and sue for damages.

Think about THAT for a moment....  What if you send a plumber out there to increase the output temperature of the water heater and the guest in turn gets scalded?  What if they actually get burned?  Or.... What if they soak in a tub that is too hot and they overheat themselves?  I doubt there is a dirth of Slip and Fall attorneys in the Seattle Area who are not just salivating at the prospect of taking on a client who scalded themselves in a Bathtub that was too hot...  Fell and hit their head after soaking too long in a too hot bath, and fainted while suffering heatstroke.   

Have a plumber check the temperature right away.  Have it documented.  And let AirBnB know that you won't adjust the temperature to an unsafe level simply to accomodate an unreasonable guest.

Ron134
Level 1
Rye, NH

My rental also have a Jacuzzi Tub and here's what I have found.  My home has a large 80 gallon hot water tank, but the Jacuzzi tub easily holds 60 gallons, maybe more - so if hot water is also being used elsewhere in the house around the time they fill the Jacuzzi  (other showers, dishwasher, laundry, etc.) the water won't stay hot for the complete fill up.     This may or may not be the problem you're having, but I inform guests that since the Jacuzzi tub uses most of the hot water in the hot water tank, it is advised to use it at a time when other people haven't just taken showers, and vice-versa.    Since then I haven't had any complaints.

Ron