Legal support to fight against defamatory reviews

Legal support to fight against defamatory reviews

I do not feel Airbnb is supporting hosts. I do not intend to continue hosting after I have accomodated existing bookings. What is the best way to prompt Airbnb to do someting? Will collective efforts from good hosts mean anything to this establishment? 

19 Replies 19
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Yi-Ling1

No it won't, a venture capitalist would just call your point, noise.

What do the Levels mean?

By definition, a statement is only "defamatory" if it is not only injurious but also false. Reviews are seldom considered defamation because they are expressions of a subjective opinion. It's painful  to receive a negative review, for sure, but even the most awful guests have the right to say that they felt unhappy with their experience.

@Yi-Ling1, there are few things more stressful than having conflict in your own home, and it sounds like you are probably still a bit shell-shocked from your nightmare guest. I've been there before too - counting down the minutes until a horrible person hands back the keys. I think over time, you'll find that one review doesn't have much impact, especially when you have so many other excellent ones. 

@Yi-Ling1 I agree there should be a process where reviews can be deleted if they meet certain criterion.  Without knowing your specific circumstances it's difficult to know what appropriate solution should be available for you ... and to a certain level I understand why Airbnb is reluctant to become involved.

Reviews are first and foremost personal opinion.  It's not appropriate for a host to feel they have an outstanding home/ room while the guest decides they did not like it,  and based on this alone the host gets Airbnb to delete the review.

The issue would need to be verifiable.  This is a HUGE challenge.  Unless a written exchange via the Airbnb messaging system happened,  there is little Airbnb can do to verify what truly happened in order to decide if the review should remain or be deleted. 

If the review were derogatory,  especially using language which is offensive (a slant towards the other person's gender,  race, or other such fucus), I believe Airbnb already has a policy where reviews like this will be removed. 

I am using a tablet,  attempted to view your hosting profile to read the review and reach a page stating "something went wrong" ... not certain if this is an Airbnb glitch or you already deactivated your profile ... would like to read the review you are upset about. 

While I disagree with some of the other unfavorable and less than considerate comments,  please consider these points: 

- As much as I also am not pleased with many issues and shortcomings which Airbnb has, the other sites are far worse. 

- If you don't need the money,  leaving Airbnb is an option and IMHO if enough people left for specific reasons,  Airbnb would have to wake up and change. I don't think  this will happen given that other services are worse.

I feel it's more effective to continue complaining, submitting feedback on a regular basis,  and posting in forums.  It's a lot of work and Airbnb is slow to improve (they make too many worthless changes and not enough relevant improvements)  , yet they do upon occasion fix things I have brought to their attention...

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

I have had a review from a fellow host, which was defamatory and racist. It got deleted after 7 weeks. I have had a review from a guest, first time guest from a small village to the big town, who was so strange, that I wrote a story about the proceedings that night and had a running forum commentary on it till she checked out the next morning. I also wrote a mail to my mother about it and a sms to a friend. The same story in three languages, on three different

The guest left a review a week later, saying she had to leave and find another place to sleep. 

That was clearly false, I could not have forseen, that this guest would leave such a review and such ratings and set up such an elaborate scheme to create an alternative reality. Between 200 charmed reviews and that horrible one from a newbie, there was no doubt, that my story was true. The review and more so the private remarks were more slander than opinions and to state that the service was paid for but not fit to be consumed is defamatory, if you consume it in full. 

Nevertheless, the review still stands. 

After that experience, I believe airbnb will remove racist reviews, because of the danger to their image, but for everything else, it’s just opinion. If a guest one day writes “the host murdered me.” it will be inverifyable opinion too. 

A line got deleted. Three reports on 3 different means of communication, all time stamped as concurrent with the stay.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Seems the OP has deliisted.

It is a consequence of dealing with the Public, most people are fine, some are not, with any review system there will be abuse.

Now if somebody goes totally over the top then you can get it removed, the grey area is the problem and I can not think of a practical solution.

David

What if a review is obviously false and the evidence of this was in the Airbnb email thread? Why then does Airbnb still refuse to remove it? 

BTW Hosts need to know that the host guarantee doesn't cover many issues. It won't be covering the $2,000 damages from dogs that stayed only 3 nights.

?? 

Rebecca1016
Level 2
Chicago, IL

I'm the guest and have been to 6 places due to my situation.  I have one totally bogus review.  They will not remove it.  Not sure if this is a lawsuit but will find out. 

The next place I stayed renewed by request to stay four times in a row, so I was there nearly six weeks.  Then her review mentions that I have "pre-existing" conditions that will cause more cleaning than usual which is fine; you charge a cleaning fee for cleaning; I did my part now you do yours as the host.  She states that she had concerns about me throughout my stay, for six weeks/four renewals!  She also says that I was not upfront with my reason for the room (different wording); I told her I was between housing prior to approval - if she needed more info she could have asked me to elaborate prior to approval.  I told her my situation within the first few days of my stay (foreclosure/bankruptcy (if I didn't file bankruptcy then I would owe someone 65k)); she said she was in the same situation and lost two homes but stayed with family.  

I work from home.  I do not have a car and after I move in, I have discovered that they expect me gone regardless.  I have left during the day too many times; Lyft round trip is anywhere from $14-20/day, plus eating out which is $15-20/day extra which I do not have.  So 45 + the extra for getting out of the house to please them is the same amount of an entire place.  I do not have the money for this.  

So now I cannot get a room.  After reading those two reviews, I wouldn't rent to me either.  

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

Hi @Rebecca1016 , you are writing on a very old thread, which means the original poster and everyone writing on it an eternity ago gets your new message. On a forum,  you should always start a new thread for a new event. 

I checked your profile and it’s not too bad yet. As a host, I would rent to you, if I need the money or if the request is interesting, like for a longer period or during off-season  - hey a host can always ask for a higher cleaning fee upfront after reading the reviews. 😉

No? I got the impression that there is a slight misunderstanding between you and some hosts, whilst you get along fine with others. 

If you read your post again, you say that you paid for the cleaning, so it’s up to the host to clean. Implied is, that you did leave a state needing more cleaning than the average guest, but that you are entitled to do so, because you paid for it. But you did not do that at the booking, because the host had calculated the price for a normal state of affairs and a normal level of respect. 

You write also, that you had to file for bankruptcy (funny idea to publish that on the Internet) , because otherwise you would owe an immense amount of money. Or formulated otherwise, you had to do so to avoid paying the whole amount you owe. 

This leads to the next misunderstanding : private rooms are usually intended for tourists, who tour the town, or business travellers working outside. A “guest” becoming  a room mate working from home is not what a host working from home themselves would expect. It’s strange however, that the stay was extended several times. 

You should try to find hosts, who like having intense contact, like some of your previous reviews. 

To do so, you need to read the descriptions under this aspect, to filter out hosts who don’t offer what you need. Read the reviews of former guests as well. If the reviews say “spotlessly clean”, “organised “ etc, you should avoid it, if they describe mostly social interaction, it could be a good place for you. 

Give the host a chance as well, to understand what you really look for. If you need a place where you can stay 24 h a day on most days, say so in advance. That’s so far off from normal use of a room in someone’s living space, that you need to disclose it in advance, it’s not a question of interpretation. 

Happy travels !

Kate204
Level 2
Vincentia, AU

Defaming  in a person or a company by false review is illegal in Australia and compensation can be paid out for loss of income. 

Jason1439
Level 2
Salt Lake City, UT

I just had a host a few months ago falsely accuse of dealing drugs and all manner of false claims simply after complaining about the Air Conditioning unit not working.   Not to mention ants in the kitchen and other minor complaints.   She went off the deep end with all manner of false , defaming claims.  Airbnb Won't even respond to my requests to remove the untrue review.  What should i do?? i still would like to use Airbnb if future hosts will rent to me.   The nasty host can be found here https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/31939605

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jason1439 

We all can see the review and also the host.

So no need to post the link to host's profile here.

I just wondered: Why did you not leave a public comment on the review ?

Allyson10
Level 2
Corvallis, OR

I have a host claiming she will sue me because of my review, where I mention the place had black mold. The pictures from the place with the mold are here: https://bit.ly/maryLincolnCity

She claims she has lost guests because of my review. Shortly after our stay, wildfires ravaged the area. I don't know how she can distinguish why she may have fewer guests.

Does she have grounds to sue because of my assessment of black mold? I did not use a spore test, but the pictures show it displays the signs of black mold.