Longer stays - cost me!!

Longer stays - cost me!!

Does anyone else find that people staying longer might expect more ( perhaps in lieu of a discount)

My current couple have 2 long showers a day each and have used the washing machine three times in a week ( for small amounts of clothes).

Have also had more clean bedding and towels before the first week was up. Not to mention cooking - using my expensive virgin olive oil etc.

I only charge one cleaning fee per booking - its really cheap for 2 people - does anyone else charge more for 2 people who want to stay longer??

Longer stays always want to cook.....

16 Replies 16

@Julia660

I host mostly long-term guests so I understand some of the challenges you mention but in terms of costs, just adjust your weekly/monthly discounts so your payout is sufficient to cover costs of the entire stay.

I include details about washing machine usage (1 load per week only for guests who stay longer than 1 week), frequency of sheet changes (every 2 weeks, handled by host - I will enter the guest room to do this) and towels (2 bath, 4 hand towels per week). I always explain, I (host) will handle laundry for sheets and towels so the guest only needs to wash their own clothes. 1 load a week for 1 person's worth of clothes should be more than sufficient for my 16kg top load washer 🙂

I allow light cooking (prep+cook time, under 30 mins) and have a separate shelf of items that I "share" with guests (cooking oil, salt & pepper, ketchup, mayo, tabasco sauce). They do NOT have access to my expensive spices, oils, seasonings, and sauces. (We keep these stored separately.) I can't dictate how many showers a guest takes, how much TP they use...... but I try to ignore most things and I make sure I charge enough to cover generous users. (And to be honest, my own sister takes crazy long showers which always annoyed me) Guests who make the effort to save water/energy get extra snacks, drinks from us and/or we invite them to join us for dinner occasionally. Guests who do not act respectfully towards me or my home will get just the bare-bone basics.

Because I primarily host single long-term guests that stay at least 1 month, my house rules and descriptions are extremely detailed to manage guest expecations and to make sure the "roommate" situation is not uncomfortable for not just me and Henry but also the guest. Our experience is, if you are a good match with your guest, then monthly stays can actually be quite profitable and less work (less cleaning & turnovers needed).  

Thanks for your reply - all helpful suggestions.

Julia

Hi Jessica! So I have a guy who is staying with me for 3 months.

hes become extremely comfortable. Plants himself on the couch whenever he is home and fills up my dishwasher and trash on a daily basis without helping out with those things. It’s come to a point where I don’t even cook now cause I feel overtaken. 

How do you you handle these situations? I still have 6weeks if the 3 months and I’m constabtly leaving my house cause I feel like I’m in his now. 

He leaves his stuff everywhere so I am on him about that. But trash and dishwasher is that also my responsibility when it’s long term? It’s two plates, two bowls and two cups a day just for him. Doesn’t reuse anything. 

Most of our guests are long-term. Important: write expectations in your listing post and have it visible in your home. We have a 1-sheet printed  list of things to know framed  on their dresser when they arrive taken from the listing House Rules, which includes the expectation that they clean their own dishes and a section for weekly and monthly guests to do their own laundry and bathroom trash. We provide basic cooking supplies and take out the recycling and kitchen trash but they need to clean up after each meal. We have designated areas in the common rooms if someone wants to take off their jacket and backpack/car keys. We lived and learned. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Julia660we are off site hosts so we can't restrict shower, AC, heating or kitchen usage .

We also charge 1 cleaning fee but will come to clean and change towels and sheets 1xweek. To cover additional cleaning cost we don't offer any weekly discount. Maybe that is why we rarely have any longer stays .

We also don't have washing machine in our STR units and our guests can use self service loundry 2 blocks away. Of course guests use washing machine frequently - they travel with a suitcase and don't have enough clothes to fill up the entire machine.

My guests have 6 suitcases - so no need for frequent washes - will put up a recommendation for use of washing machine.

Thanks

Julia

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Julia660

Hi Julia, my experience possibly differs from yours in that I provide a very generous condiment package for guests on arrival...but I only have to do it once for the duration of their stay.

My ideal stay length is four nights. The same amount of listing servicing is required for one night bookings as is required for four night bookings but the rental amount is four times greater, so I do have considerably less effort and less expense for longer stays making them much more profitable.

Julia, your point about small washing loads is a good one, but I don't begrudge the guest doing it!

I would rather a good review at the end of the stay than nit pick over a dollar or so in the cost of a small wash. If guests know a machine is there, but they are precluded from using it, they will think negatively about that and you can be sure they will remember it come review time!

But I can understand with all that horible humid weather in Brisbane, washing could be an issue....hahaha ;-))

Cheers.....Rob

Thanks for the reply Rob

I don't begrudge the use of the washing machine if its a decent load or a quick wash - its just in QLD I'm very conscious of wasting water..... They also brought 6 cases for a 12 month stay, in Australia, so are not short of clothes!! I might put up a card asking for consideration of water use, as per hotels.

The idea of guest condiments I shall definately take on board - but I will prepare a basket to get out and leave by the cooker,  labelled for guest use. That should solve the problem - as I buy fairly expensive ingredients for my own use - being a health coach and interested in health through nutrition.

I'm still fairly new at this and learning from each guest. I find it difficult to share my space after a week.

My current guests have gone into hibernation ....... seem to sleep 16 hrs a day and be up 8 hrs - so I feel I must be quiet all the time - difficult!

Julia

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Julia660 ,

Don't act as a guest in your own house !

A 12 month stay is a long way to go. Make the rules clear to the guest. It is YOUR house and they should respect it.

If you feel uncomfortable with this people: cancel the reservation. Yes, you are penalised by Airbnb, but what a relief having your own life back ! 

Best regards, Emiel

Fortunately they are only here for 2 weeks - but staying in Australia for 12 months.

I am guilty of feeling like a guest with some people - as they behave as if I shouldn't be here!

I need to toughen up - politely!

I am blocking out spaces between guests to let rip a little!!

Thanks for your comments - very helpful

Julia

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Julia660.

We all have different listings and offerings for our guests. So what works for you, is what will be best.

LAUNDRY

But if you don’t want guests to machine wash their clothes, or you want to apply restrictions, then don’t advertise “your own bathroom and laundry”. Like @Jessica-and-Henry0,  enter in your house rules, any restrictions of use, but also consider a small sign in the bathroom next to the washing machine. repeating the House rule laundering information. Keep it friendly. 😁👍🏼

KITCHEN

Kitchen items off limits, should be stated as personal, or place in a separate or locked cupboard. Or just buy a cheaper oil for the guests to use and factor these items into your pricing. This will reduce stress for both of you. 

I’m in Darwin, and WE @Robin4 have humidity, expensive power and water. Mind you, we think our humidity is pretty low during the Dry Season! Lol...

I might have groups out all day who shower once a day. I have some guests that never leave the space and pool area, and shower after every swim! Guests and cohorts are all individual.

LENGTH OF STAY > Pricing.

Because the majority of my guests fly in, my space is a separate self contained space which provides for self catering.

My minimum = 2 nights, maximum = 3 weeks, and like @Robin4, I like the 4-5 day stays. One main clean with an extra two days profit outside power, water use. The one off cleaning fee is separate and stays the same amount no matter how many days... 

I advertise a discount for a week or longer of 10%. Therefore, I don’t reduce my base price too much, so I don’t financially lose out.

SERVICES

We are a hospitality/ service industry

MY PROVISIONS

I provide basic EVERYTHING in my space. Kitchen: some herbs, spices, oil, sauces, cereals, teas, coffee (ground and instant), sugars, margarine, milk &  breakfast condiments. Also a starting breakfast with bread, OJ, eggs and bacon ready to be cooked. The quantity depending on size of the group. Maybe two days worth if staying longer... I’ve got four in tomorrow for 4 days, so I’ve actually put a dozen eggs, 2L OJ and about 500grams bacon. Loaf of bread and pack of English muffins. It varies.

I provide basic laundry powder etc, and never restrict the use of the laundry. Washing options are very personal and can be cultural. I have fly ins who don’t want to cook or wash as they are on a “holiday”.... Then I have others who might hand wash or machine wash daily.  At least they are clean not sweating or making smelly the furniture. Those who travel or camp up the track, usually have lots of washing by the time they reach us. Go for it as the sunshine is free!  But I deliberately choose to not instal a dryer.  Which with humidity is costly to run. There is a dedicated outside line for their use, and plenty of clothes airers that can be taken inside or under cover for wet season rains. 

Bed linen and towel change is offered and negotiated in person, after their arrival, by the number of days stay. 13 day stay = day 6. 5 days = no bed linen change unless an accident or spillage. Spare bedding always in the space for the ports OT. No parent needs to deal with an emergency during the night. Other emergency bedding in a basket in the laundry.   Towel replacement offered on the third day.  Each guest receives two towels, a hand towel and face washer, and a pool towel. In situ 2 x bath mats. Spare x 2 or 3 hand towels &  extra mats in the cupboard. Usually left untouched. 

I DO request dirty linen is placed in the laundry in a specific basket for me to wash, not the guest. All but one group have stripped and remade their own beds with the new linen. Sometimes they take extra towels, but unless a 13-21 day stay, they are usually happy with the sheets they have.

BOTTOM LINE

*** I factor pricing to meet what I offer and what might be used. Guests have been receptive and reviews have been positive. So I would suggest increase your nightly base price, and don’t sweat the small stuff. 

🙂

Cathie

Thanks Cathie

Mine is a shared space, so I will take up Rob's suggestion and make up a basket of guest condiments.

I don't actively encourage use of the kitchen, so prefer shorter stays too. My longer stays always cook.

Re the laundry, I'm very water saving conscious - so will consider a friendly notice to do the same - as per hotels. My wish would be at least half a load or a short wash for less...... I would never say showers are restricted - although I cringe to hear water running endlessly after a few QLD droughts - my showers are still quick!!

So far I've been all 5* so must be doing something right - but learning as I go....

I definately don't want them washing the bedding and towels either! A washing disaster would be embarrassing for everyone.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Sorry, in the comment above “ports OT” is meant to read as portacot or a crib.

The towel replacement is after the third day, not day 3. Therefore changed or offered day 4.