Misleading/incorrect listings: studios called 1 bedroom

Samantha147
Level 2
Eugene, OR

Misleading/incorrect listings: studios called 1 bedroom

Some of the top listings in my area are studios; usually Mother in Law type units behind or attached to a main house. We have a mother in law unit ourselves, but it is a 1 bedroom with full kitchen, living room and large loft (with a bed). My issue is that when I search to compare my listing to other similar listings, lots of these studios come up in the search results for a 1 bedroom unit. In fact, many of them have the word "studio" in their title! 8 out of 10 units on the first 2 pages of 1 bedroom search results in my city are actually studio apartments. It's surprisingly difficult to find more than a few 1 bedroom units to compare mine to, because of these incorrect listings. If I was a guest, I'd be ticked off that I have to wade through all of these incorrect listings to find one that has an actual bedroom (I certainly am as a host). I'm tempted to report them as incorrect listings, but I would be complaining about almost every listing on the 1st page of the 1 bedroom search results in my city, which makes me feel like a jerk. What would you do? 

12 Replies 12
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Samantha147  I think that it is Airbnb’s search filter issue instead of hosts’ issue. Hosts have explicitly picked studio in their listing. There is no misleading and misrepresentation on hosts side. When you do a search, there is nothing to filter studio and one bedroom apartment. 

Hmmm, these people did NOT pick "studio" in their listing, they chose 1 bedroom, and then said studios in their title or in their description. 

I tested it out. I just switched my 1 bedroom to a studio (chose 0 bedrooms and 2 beds) and it showed as a studio, not a 1 bedroom in the listing (under my title). It did not show up in 1 bedroom searches because it wasn't listed as a 1 bedroom, but it showed up in an all inclusive search.

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

@Samantha147  Much like all the "How would you review" questions posted here, I'd chalk your "What would you do" in the same category. My answer is whatever you want and makes you feel good. Report them or not, with the exception of time spent doing it, it has zero negative impact on your life, just like handing out a crap review to someone. There's way too much over-thinking here when it's easier to ask yourself if you want to. 

Samantha147
Level 2
Eugene, OR

I suppose a better question is whether reporting these incorrect listings will make any difference.  Will AirBNB actually do anything about it? Or do they need to be reported by a guest for AirBNB to respond?

@Samantha147 I doubt Airbnb would do anything. Airbnb has a lot of things intentionally left vague. One example is Strict Cancellation policy. 

After a lot of guests complaint about it, it still has not cleared and keep consistent on their side. Yesterday I saw a post that a guest posted that he can cancel a booking to get full refund when he cancel 14 days before check-in in booking confirmation. But in Airbnb booking page, it is stated that a refund can be obtained within 48 hours of booking if check-in date is more than 14 days away.

Here what the definition of bedroom is questionable too. When a private room is provided, it is also one bedroom. In that case, what a guest should pick? 

As a host, what you can do is to keep frequently updating your post in order to get higher rank in the search.

Thank you Alice. Yeah, I'm constantly updating my listing. Multiple times a day even. I'm moving up in the rankings 🙂

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Samantha147 

there was a similar post a month ago, the guest complained how difficult is to find 2 bedroom apartment because most of the so-called 2 BDR is in fact 1 bedroom + living room with a sofa bed. Then one host explained how in some countries (Croatia included)  we don't talk about bedrooms but rooms. So when we say 2 rooms apartment that's, in fact, bedroom+ livingroom. Even google translator is confused.

SOBA = ROOM

SPAVAĆA SOBA = BEDROOM

DVOSOBAN STAN =  2 ROOM APARTMENT but translated as 2 BEDROOM APARTMENT

soba.png

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Samantha147  My listing is 'asleep' right now, but I was not offered the option of 'studio' when I listed (and just now, when I went in to check edit options). The option closest to mine was 'secondary unit' and then I could choose 'guest suite', not studio. And, it comes up in searches for 'one bedroom' offerings. Where did you find the studio option in the edit areas? 

You're right that there is not an option to select "studio" under the type of listing, you just list whether it is a guesthouse, condo, etc. But when you choose the number of bedrooms, if you list "0" bedrooms and then the number of beds, it will call your listing a studio instead of a 1 bedroom unit regardless of the number of beds you select.

Guests can search for the number of beds, or the number of bedrooms.  When I travel with my family, I always want at least a 1 bedroom so that my husband and I have privacy. 

I understand why people choose 1 bedroom instead of studio if everyone else id doing it, because correctly listing as a studio puts them at a disadvantage compared to all of the other studios listed as 1 bedrooms. Instead, 1 bedroom units are at a disadvantage. I think there should be a price differential between studios and 1 bedroom units, but if I list my 1 bedroom more expensive than other studios that come up in the 1 BR search, it looks like I'm listing my 1 bedroom unit too high.

I bet a lot of people just did what I did, having no idea that we were possibly supposed to do it differently. I had no idea until you mentioned it here!

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Samantha147

What you can do is positively promote your listing in its description and pictures. Point out that you have a private bedroom in the suite itself. When you communicate with guests before, during and after their stay mention it & work it into the conversation. Hopefully guests will remember these conversations and mention it in their reviews. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Samantha147 

I feel your pain. 

My "real" one bedroom apartment is drowned out by all the one-bedroom studios available.

While the hosts are gaming things, the hosts are not being deceitful.

When have you ever seen a hotel advertise a "studio with no bedrooms"? Never.

A bedroom in a hotel is always advertised as a "One bedroom".

The problem is with Airbnb's lack of a listing of the rooms .

1 bedroom , 1 living room, 1 kitchen apartment is very different than a 1 bedroom 0 living room 0 kitchen apartment.

My advice is to accentuate your space and SEPARATE  bedroom.