My cancellation policy wasn't followed by Airbnb.

Edward19
Level 3
Devon, PA

My cancellation policy wasn't followed by Airbnb.

I had a guest who booked a couple of days and then booked a couple of weeks for later. In between, she called and asked whether or not she'd be able to bring her dog, to which I said, "no." I have a no pets policy. 

She went and cancelled the reservation, which I expected. I have a strict cancellation policy, which states that 50% cancellation allowed up to 5 days prior. According to what's listed on Airbnb, it states, "Guests who cancel are automatically refunded according to your cancellation policy—unless the cancellation qualifies as an extenuating circumstance or a Guest Refund Policycase."

As there weren't any extenuating circumstances, I expected to receive 50% of the money, but Airbnb informed me that they refunded 100% of the guest's deposit.

I've written to Airbnb and have not gotten any response. I've called them, but wait times are 30 minutes and up.

Two questions: Since Airbnb's already refunded the guest their money, how likely is it that I'll be able to recuperate any portion, much less the 50%, that I believe I'm entitled to? Second, why would Airbnb do this in the first place?

0 Replies 0