My first negative review, dishonest and retaliatory?

My first negative review, dishonest and retaliatory?

I just received my first negative review and I'm a bit baffled.  The guest initially booked Tues & Wed night for 2 people.  At the last minute she then asked to change the booking to Monday night only.  I politely explained my strict cancellation policy but agreed to change the booking and reduce the total by $20 and she was agreeable.

I've just received this review from her:

"Good location, the bathroom had great heated floors and the entertainment system was topnotch. We were expecting to have two beds and only had access to one of them for some reason despite 2 being shown in the listing. And the host let himself into the apartment while we were there without knocking or calling first--VERY startling and unsettling. Especially if you are traveling alone."

It is explained very clearly in my listing that only one bed/bedroom is provided for a 1-2 person booking.  It is explained at least twice, actually.  I always check with my guests that they have read my full listing before I accept, and even have a keyphrase at the end which they repeat back to me to confirm that they have read it.

Concerning entering the space, in my check-in instructions, which I send the day before arrival, I give my guests a keycode to the door and tell them that I would like to meet with them when they arrive, and ask that they please message me when they do.  When this guest arrived she messaged me and I IMMEDIATELY walked over (150ft) and knocked on the door.  Knowing it is difficult to hear the exterior door from the bedroom (which is down the stairs, turn 180deg, then down the hallway, then through another door), I then opened the exterior door and announced "Helloo".  My guest called back "Christopher?", and came to the door, only then did I take a few steps in and introduce myself.  I had a short chat with both guests and I left.  They did not inquire about needing a 2nd bedroom and if there was a problem, we would have fixed it.  

I did not enter the space again until after they had checked out.  My smart door lock history confirms I only entered the one time, which was one minute after the guests themselves entered the space.

And what is this guest saying about traveling alone?  She had a man friend with her.  It seems like she is purposely trying to make me sound sketchy.

Is this person just bothered by the booking change and price and is being super passive about it?

Can I get airbnb to remove the review?

28 Replies 28
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Taking a wild guess at the reasons for your encounter - 'Welcome to the Passive Aggressive Guest', when the guest acts most agreeable while with host, but then 'reality' changes.

As to removing their review, probably same chance at winning a lottery, but nothing to loose by trying.

Good luck btw.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Christopher187 you could ask Airbnb to remove the review, but they likely will not unless it specifically goes against the review guidelines, which this one doesn't seem to. I would respond to her comment about the beds by saying something like,

"I'm sorry about the confusion regarding the beds. As mentioned in the listing, only one bed is available when you book for 1 or 2 people. I would have been happy to accommodate your request for 2 beds if you had contacted me." 

Regarding the entering the apartment... That's a difficult one, and I'm not sure I have the answer. In future you may want to ask people to meet you outside to avoid that, or get a door bell so they can hear you. I personally wouldnt be okay with you just walking in either. There is a reasonable expectation of privacy in an Airbnb, like in a hotel room. 

Hi Alexandra,

As I mentioned I told the guest I would meet with them when they arrived, and asked if they would message me.  They did so and I went right over.  I did not do anything more than knock, then open the door slightly and call down the stairwell.  I only entered when the guest called back and came to the doorway and we started talking.  This seems pretty sheepish for an announced visit.

From the entrance door, which has a glass window that you can see through, you cannot even see the bedroom/bathroom area.  You would have to walk downstairs and turn to get anywhere remotely private.

Am I really out of touch with general privacy expectations?  I think I've performed announced visits 100+ times this way before and never got a weird vibe from anyone.  Even these guests seemed happy to see me and have a chat.  No indication at all that I was "just walking in" on them.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Christopher187 How to handle a sketchy guest, right?  Your final reservation was for a single guest for a single night, right?  If so, just provide a facts only response to this review, i.e, single guest changed reservation to another time period, but showed up with 2 guests and were surprised by my usual greeting.  What was your review?  Hope it was thumbs down.  Air BNB will not remove most reviews no matter how inaccurate or even slanderous unless the Content Policy is violated.  Better to provide a response that potential guests will see  that reflects your professionalism rather that become super defensive.

No, the original and altered booking were always for 2 people.  The guest's comment " And the host let himself into the apartment while we were there without knocking or calling first--VERY startling and unsettling. Especially if you are traveling alone."  Was really strange because she was not traveling alone.  

I actually didn't leave a review for the guest, was trying to decide how to leave a moderate review and just plumb forgot.

@Christopher187 As we all learn while doing Airbnb the world is made up of a crazy mix of people. I had 2 guests stay in one of my properties that can sleep 5. They commented that the water heater wouldn't be big enough if there were 5 people staying. I have not had one person complain that there was not enough hot water, so I have never really worked out why they thought they needed to make the comment! Some people just like to make dumb comments!

Christopher, this is the type of guest review that it is important to disarmed expertly and above all should be done with a ~light~ air.

My intial thought is along the lines - 'How odd that...(the facts in VERY brief form, forget the 'War & Peace' type of long treatise). The point is that it is best to faciliate future readers to dismiss the guest's contentions as 'odd' (unusual, actually crazy comes to mind). Your credibility is not in question, since it is already verified by previous reviews.

@Christopher187  I can't see that you did anything amiss re greeting the guest as arranged. Especially since you had just received a message from her and she was expecting you.

I imagine her comment about "especially if you are traveling alone" was not referring to her stay, but was an attempt at warning potential guests about the obviously really scary host 🙂

Some people are just strange. I would certainly write a response to her review along the lines of what @Fred13  suggested below.

Sarah, the guest wrote further in the private feedback section:

"Check-in feedback: 
Your guest had some issues with the check-in process: entering the home. Additional comments: “Parking was a bit confusing and then the host entered the airbnb via door code without knocking or asking first. This was incredibly surprising for a multitude of reasons but the main one being--if I am a single female alone in an airbnb and the host will”.

She seems pretty focused on this being alone thing.  How strange.

Carol407
Level 4
St. Louis, MO

My hardest task as a host is to accommodate each guest as they wish to be hosted.  Some don’t want to see you, some are happy to meet you.  I personally greet my guests.  They do not have access to my apartment without a welcome from me.  I also repeat what is in my listing; Rules, WIFI access, password, reminding them this is my home, which I love, and I hope they are comfortable and enjoy their stay.  Some people are so gracious, kind, clean and thoughtful.  Some people, I think, expect my home to be the same as a hotel.  Some guests are better than others.  It is the nature of the beast of hosting.  Expect to get the bad with the good.  Meet them, greet them, show them the whole space where they have access, and ask if they have any questions, before you give them the keys.  I have not had a bad review yet, but I have had a few people that did not review me.  I know my day will come, but I hope all of my good reviews will negate a single sour puss review.  

Hi Carol, I always used to meet with my guests and give them a tour, and they did not have a way of accessing the space before I met with them.  I liked that because it was more controlled, but because guests were so frequently changing their arrival times, and a couple times I was late meeting them, I switched to giving them a lock code before hand so I could stop stressing about it.  However, I still tell them that I will meet them when they arrive and they should message me and keep me up to date with their arrival plans.

Guests review:

"Good location, the bathroom had great heated floors and the entertainment system was topnotch. We were expecting to have two beds and only had access to one of them for some reason despite 2 being shown in the listing. And the host let himself into the apartment while we were there without knocking or calling first--VERY startling and unsettling. Especially if you are traveling alone."

My planned response: 

"This review is bizarre enough that I suspect it was meant for a different host, but just in case:  The bedding arrangements are described clearly in the listing; had the guests indicated in any way that there was a problem, we would have prepared a 2nd bed.  Anne messaged me upon arrival and I immediately went over to greet them, as we’d arranged.  I first knocked, then opened the door and called down the stairwell.  Anne called back, then she and Eric came to the foyer, at which point I entered and greeted them; both seemed very pleased with everything.  This is the only time I entered, exactly 1 minute after their arrival (confirmed by my smart-lock data).  I would never enter a guest’s space without prior permission.  Anne mentions traveling alone, though she and her husband both stayed, which is why I suspect this review may be for a different host."

I know it is a bit long and will draw attention, but I'm having trouble chopping it down any further.  Comments?

I like it. As a host who looks at guest reviews I would understand perfectly what you were trying to get across. 🙂

@Christopher187 Way too long winded and defensive. 

Take a cue from what @Linda suggested earlier. 'Accomodated guest's last minute alteration request. As per listing, second bed always available by request. Guest with companion welcomed personally as usual on arrival by the entrance door.'