My guest did not arrive

Margo2
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

My guest did not arrive

It is two hours past their stated arrival time and they have not responded to my message telling them how to enter my home in my absence. I suppose I must wait overnight for them.  Any suggestions or protocol?

4 Replies 4
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Margo2 Ah, unfortunately this is not unusual.  Is this an international traveller?  Sometimes they turn off their phone so they don't get Airbnb messages or phone calls.  This happened to me when I hate to cancel due to a gas leak and my guest was from Taiwan.  

By now I'm sure it has all been sorted out, but for future reference I would contact Airbnb if you are unable to reach a guest.  They can get in touch as they have all the guest's contact details.  You should bookmark this help guide for all the ways you can contact Airbnb: 

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165/highligh...

Hope your guest finally showed up!

Karin71
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

My guest did not show up and I have a strict cancellation policy - no refund if cancelled within the week prior to arrival. I sent 2 emails to the guest prior to arrival but they did not respond. I stayed home all evening waiting for the guest but I never heard anything until a week later when they asked for a refund. I said no as per the cancellation policy but much to my shock, Air bnb gave them a 50% refund!!! Air bnbn said that it was my responsibility to contact them and let them know the guest didn't turn up. Naturally, there is no number listed anywhere to call them so the it is easy for them to win this one. So I lost half of the income for a one week stay because of this. BEWARE!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi Karin

Sorry this happened to you. However, as a long established host, it really pays to be familiar with how BNB works.

Knowing how to raise a concern with BNB and having their phone number I find are two essentials to being a host.

You could have contacted them by going into the booking reservation and flagging it with them (if you go into a booking confirmation you will see there is a section for you to do this) . Alternatively you could have called them or used social media.

All the ways of contacting BNB are outlined in the 2nd post in Community Help - you can also use Google to find the number.

Karin71
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

@Helen3 I contacted the guest. I sent 2 emails to the guest via Airbnb. I believed the part of your policy that says:  If your guest decides to cancel or not show up for an active reservation, we’ll uphold your cancellation policy, and your payout will be released 24 hours after the originally scheduled check-in. Evidently I was mistaken.