Need help wording a review for a very high-maintenance guest

Lee143
Level 3
Rehoboth Beach, DE

Need help wording a review for a very high-maintenance guest

I’m still new to hosting on Airbnb, but have quickly garnered about 20 good reviews so far in the last 6 wks. I need help with what to write in my review of the difficult couple that just checked out today. In a nutshell: they are high maintenance and demanding.

The wife was very needy from the minute they first arrived… “I need a snack or I’ll get a headache” was proclaimed dramatically 3x in the first 20 min as I was showing them around. (Well then, why didn’t you stop on your 2 hour drive here???) At breakfast yesterday (which I provide), when I said I was making omelets to order for breakfast (which they had ok’ed the night before), she demands (in front of 3 other guests) that she wants French Toast! When I said I was only making eggs, and would gladly make her any style EGGS she desired, she proceeded to tell me “oh, it’s okay, it’s really not a lot of trouble for you… you already have the eggs out, just add milk and make me French Toast!” The husband didn’t even try to talk her out of it, he just shrugged when I looked at him.

They also set off the smoke alarm in their room at 7 am this morning, waking all the other guests. Not sure how – I have no proof, but I suspect someone was smoking.

The husband I think is a pretty nice guy, but his wife is very high maintenance/needy and demanding, and he just enables her. They were in fact clean, and seemed to love my place. However, they also took their sweet time getting out of their room, which they had promised to be out of hours earlier… as they knew I had someone coming in same day. I don’t promise a room to be ready til the afternoon, but this couple was 45 min late for breakfast (they chose the time) and then lollygagged over the meal. I kept mentioning that check out is 11, but they waved me off. They finally got their stuff out of their room at noon! Meanwhile, my incoming guests arrived at 11 to avoid traffic (I told them it was okay, they could drop their bags and then hit the beach while I was cleaning their room). But these outgoing people wouldn’t even let me in their room to at least pull the linens/trash at 11am – I had to wait until noon when they left.

Unfortunately, their stay was not without other problems. The first night with me, the wife fell ill (turns out she had a kidney stone- ouch!), but the husband was quite poor at communicating to me when I kept asking what her symptoms were/how could I help/ etc. I offered to call the ambulance, turn on lights, etc. but he said no, not needed. 3 minutes later he asks me to turn outside lights on because the ambulance can't find the front door! The wife wouldn’t even let the paramedics into the bathroom to help her. (She kept demanding  they get her the stretcher … but when they finally got into her bathroom, they quickly sized her up and told her “oh, you can walk. You don't need a stretcher. You’re fine really, you can walk out to the street!”) After midnight, he texts me that their bathroom shower needs immediate cleaning before their inevitable return home from the hospital (3am) because she had vomited her crab dinner all over the shower floor. Why couldn’t he have told me hours earlier when she was feeling bad? Or even when they went off to the hospital? or even just earlier before I likely had gone to bed? Or just MAYBE they should have been responsible for their own mess and not even bothered me!!! I realize it was an emergency situation, and I do feel badly she was in distress. But honestly, I'm not their maid or mother, and was not happy at being summoned from my sleep to scoop up chunks of dried up crab vomit so it didn’t clog my bathroom drain.

They actually have 3 other reviews, all good – but those are reviews of their whole family (2 kids included) and were all places that were “entire place” – not shared accommodations like I have. Should I just say something like they are better suited to having a place to themselves, or a hotel where they can get things "their way"? Or is there some way to intimate that they are very high maintenance and demanding (which is likely regardless of what type of accommodation)? I certainly don’t want to host them again, and I feel it’s my duty to let other hosts know.

LOL, as they were leaving, the wife said she wanted to come back in September for a long weekend to celebrate her birthday…  :0

11 Replies 11
Rebekah10
Level 2
Boulder, CO

How about "sandwhiching" the review, stating something nice, then writing it was a complicated stay (provide a few details) and finish with a neutral comment ("this guest will certainly get their moneys worth..."?).  You also want to CYA in case they decide to complain (although it doesn't sound like they will if they stated wanting to return). 

I am struggling with the same problem and arrived at a similar solution. Pardon me for my naivete', but what is CYA?

@Philip121CYA - Cover your a$$.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Lee143

In addition to @Rebekah10's advice I'd finish off with either "is highly"/"better" recommended for those listings with more of a full service than regular listings in a host home."

Hollie6
Level 10
Page, AZ

Wow! She was really excessive in her demands and personally I think I would have made them clean there own vomit! Especially if I was already in bed!

I think you should certainly leave a review so the other host will have fair warning!

Sorry for your experience!

@Lee143

How about "better suited for a hotel that has 24hr housekeeping, room service, and concierge services" and I would definitely say something about not respecting the check-out time. Please make sure you give them less than 3 stars, especially if you have IB on, so that they can't book with you again. 

Excellent advice.  I think this woman stayed with me a few years ago.  My review essentially said the same.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

High maintenance and demanding. I am sure it is every host's greatest fear.  I would say:  "Best suited for a private place and not a shared space because of their personal needs". That should spook any hosts that has been around the block.

Sharon64
Level 10
Tampa, FL

So sorry for all this mess. I certainly would diplomatically mention they are better suited for accommodations entirely to themselves. This way other hosts can read between the lines and possibly they will book another place for her birthday. On your review you also have an opportunity to tell your guests in private that you did not appreciate cleaning up the vomit in the bathroom. You can say it nicely....but it appears no matter what you say to them that woman will never be pleased. As for the breakfast, you also many want to mention that.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Revising my review of them:

"Best suited for a private place and not a shared space because of their incessant, unreasonable and annoying personal needs".

That's better; that should send any and all hosts running for cover. LoL

In your case, the "lady" needed a personal support worker 24/7. Thumbs down. 

I have a very cheap and cheerful listing. I had a very sweet girl last night who was completely clueless, and woke the whole house up twice. She could not follow the most basic direction, even when in writing repeatedly.