New Extensive Review Process

Lisa367
Level 10
Catania, Italy

New Extensive Review Process

I am a superhost on Airbnb and recently rented an apartment as a guest.  Has anyone else noticed the new very extensive review process that Airbnb has implimented?  As a host, it's really frustrating because this is where people get the most passive aggressive.  As a host, you're already scrutinized over everything, but to really allow the guests to dig deep into each individual aspect of their stay (ie:  "smells" and "sounds", REALLY??) is really problematic.  For example, our last guest left a private review that there was a "nauseating smell of burnt meat" on the "cleanliness/smells" star.  First of all, we didn't cook at all while this guest was in our house, she must have smelled one of the neighbors cooking, and second of all, we're in Sicily, so there are definitely going to be food smells coming in from all angles at certain times a day.  This feedback really bothered me because it was unnecessary and obviously had nothing to do with us since it wasn't even coming from our house.  I would've preferred these guests just keep these types of thoughts to themselves and enter it in the private feedback to me, rather than giving them the option of selecting specific things to complain about.  As a host who has new guests almost every 2 days, the last thing I need to hear is random complaining from guests about very little things.  Obviously as a superhost, I do my best to make sure their stay is 100% comfortable.  My feelings are also important and I don't need to hear every two days something really small and meaningless that I can't control (like food smells in Italy).  Reading passive aggressive feedback actually makes me really upset and I'm getting to the point where I really just don't want to bother hosting anymore.  I'd prefer going back to the basic rating system.  It's faster for the guest to leave reviews and much less harsh on the host.

307 Replies 307
Tina64
Level 3
Seattle, WA

I just had a similar situation and that is why I searched on "accuracy feedback" and came across your post. I apologize if this was already answered, but is there some way for a host to see exactly what the guest sees when they review a host in order to get an idea of how one might be pro-active about addressing any issues that might come up in a review? This seems only fair to a host so that they can make it the best experience possible. 

As a note, my guests said in the Private "accuracy feedback" that there was no electric jug or kettle. My listing does not state that I have this, so I'm not sure why they would say my listing is not accurate or put in that catagory. I do have a pot to boil water that has a no-drip edge that is left out for this purpose exactly since there is very limited counter space. 

Hi Tina,
I do not know if you were writing to me or if this is a group discussion I commented on long ago.  But to answer your question, I think Airbnb is still tweaking their feedback system.  They realize there are problems like you describe, and they are no prompting guests to say why they rated a host lower than a 5 star...but I don't know if that feedback ever gets back to the host.  As a host, I once received a generic message from Airbnb saying what I could do to improve my ratings, but it wasn't clear if the feedback came from a guest and it wasn't clear what exactly I needed to do to improve.  Very frustrating.  I hope they figure out how to improve feedback.  Good luck.  Sandy

Lilia22
Level 6
Bluffton, SC

My issue(s) with the new review system is that it will take up to 48 hours for me to receive notice that I can review my guest(s)!  If I don't write it down, by then I already forgot what I had to say about them; I like to make it personal, not a generic answer to everyone! 

Also, for my future bookings, I am running about two or more reviews behind!  I don't understand the new review system :O( for the hosts in particular if we are all booked thru Summer, which is my busiest season!

In addition, the DARN LOCATION crap, still getting four stars for the location of my villa which it's more than shown, explained, photographed, described, etc!  My second to last review gave me four stars, but also says it is within walking distance to the beach and shopping plaza... kind of a contradiction!!!  

#somewhatfrustrated

@Lilia22

I usually do my reviews weekly and in my busy periods do forget who was who so I keep it simple, a one liner. If I remeber something spoecific I might add it in.

Anyway it is what it is and is unlikely to change much.

David
Lilia22
Level 6
Bluffton, SC

@David126 I have contacted the Airbnb Superhost support team.  I voiced my concern about the new review system.  Each time (about three times now) they pushed the Review email which "skipped" the 48 hour period. 

I guess I will have to write down something regarding each stay, besides what I do already, for when I receive the email remainding me to review my guest.  

I will pitty the support team if each and every time I will have to call them to speed up the review process!  That is contra-productive and there's hosts here with "real issues" versus mine :O)

"Control the things you can control!"

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Lisa

A neurotic's charter, couple this with the constraints on the star ratings, and hosts will be held to ransom by a certain coterie of guest.

Can anybody remember the guest that complained to his host that the sheets on his bed weren’t changed every day, on a circa 7 days stay?  

Patti4
Level 8
Freeville, NY

If you are a traveler as well as a host, use the "Give Feedback" button on your trip receipt to express your objections to the new review system.  As a host, I was not aware of the new review process until I took a trip over the holiday. The new process is a burden on the guest as well as the host. It is time-consuming and steers the guest's responses to negative experiences. I hate it! 

Agreed!  Thanks, Patti!