New To Airbnb, About To Publish My Listing, But - Are Hosts As Unhappy As They Seem?

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

New To Airbnb, About To Publish My Listing, But - Are Hosts As Unhappy As They Seem?

Hi Everyone,

I am excited to be joining the Airbnb community. I spent several days getting my first home listing together and was just about to publish it but then decided to do some research on the community forums here to see what sorts of issues / challenges I might face as a new host, and as a host in general. It seems clear from reading the many posts from unhappy hosts that things were going along relatively well until 2015, when many changes occurred that seemed to favor guests and seemed unfair, unpalatable, or even intolerable to hosts sharing their spaces / rental properties on a short term basis - to the point where several hosts stated they were fed up, angry, have had enough, and are removing their listings all together from Airbnb. The main issues presented by host forum contributors that concern me are:

1) A buggy software system that causes hosts to receive double or triple bookings; when hosts try and cancel the later bookings they are 'penalized' by Airbnb for 'cancelling'.

2) Customer service seems impossible to reach. Emails are not responded to; a live human being is difficult to access. When one is reached (a miracle, it seems), the host allegedly hears vapid and meaningless responses such as, "Oh, I have never heard about that before. I'll talk to a manager about it and get back to you." And (you guessed it) the host never hears back from any support staff  of any kind at Airbnb.

3) When a guest damages property, claims are denied, even when the host follows the claims instructions down to the letter. I have only seen two cases on these forums where a claim was successfully and expediently resolved. The fact that the Host Protection Insurance policy itself is unavailable for hosts to review (or for most anyone to review, for that matter, although I have come across one insurance agent who has an actual copy of it - It is about 180 pages long, with a lot of exclusions, reportedly) does not add to my sense of confidence were an issue of damaged property to arise in relation to one of my Airbnb guests.

4) InstaBooking: Is this something a new host should avoid at first, even though it seems we are, in a sense, penalized for not signing up for this feature (listing not prominent in searches; harsher cancellation penalties, etc) as it could "overwhelm" us in relation to where we are as first-time hosts on the Airbnb learning curve? 

And so I am ultimately wondering, are there any happy hosts out there, including newer hosts that have listed properties since 2015? Am I likely to have a positive experience with Airbnb, if I do my best to follow all of the recommendations on how to offer a good housing experience for guests? Or is the host experience on Airbnb deteriorating to the point where new people like me should think twice before joining this particular sharing community? I really would love to meet people from all over the world, from all walks of life, as I cannot travel these days much for various reasons, and I value the 'sharing' mindset, so this is why I was hoping to find most of my guests through Airbnb (my listing is in a much-sought-after beach vacation rental area).

Thank you all so much in advance for any insights, experiences, or words of wisdom you may have for me!

Rebecca

64 Replies 64

Hi Diane,

I LOVE this link - It is so reassuring and inspiring. I will be looking at it often, I'm sure. Thanks so much for sending!

Best,

Rebecca

Irina70
Level 2
Tauranga, New Zealand

I was very happy when I began doing AirBnb. For a while everything was fine, I had lovely references. Then I had to block some days in my calendar as I was going away, which I did. Suddenly I received the message that two couples booked - one straight a day before my blocked days, another  in the middle of them. The site somehow meddled with the blocked days. I had to cancel, but not before I politely wrote to the people and explained them what happened. I even suggested some options but they preferred me to cancel. Air Bnb immediately moved me into the "risky" status and nearly halved my next booking earnings (i.e. instead of $880 I only got $502). I rang and wrote to AirBnb but apart from promises and calming words nothing was done. I feel let down completely as it was no my fault in that. Going to switch to Booking.com or Bed&Breakfast. Hope this is useful for you - Irina ***, NZ

Hi Irina,

I am so sorry to hear this happened to you, but these are the sorts of less pleasant realities and possibilities / potential scenarios I want to be aware of going in. May I ask, so I can better understand, were you using the Instant Book feature when this fiasco with your bookings happened?

Thanks,

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca, yes, I did have the instant booking on, but not for the blocked period of course. Blocked days should stay blocked. And they got unblocked not by me, but by AirBnb, that's the matter. And all my attempts to talk to AirBnb staff were useless. I mean they didn't bring any result. Advice is - keep a very close look at your calendar, check it every couple of days... 

Greg52
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

ah there are many good things about hosting but dealing with Airbnb is not one of them. I have hosted hundreds and hundreds of guests with a near perfect record.  Reading my reviews and history you can see I consistently go out of my way to make each guest expereince awesome. I'm flexible, make adjustments, offer guest discounts and refunds when appropriate and have handled a sold out calender with not much assistance from Airbnb.  I have had two impossible guests in this time. The first one Airbnb took the time to speak with me and clearly saw that this guest was a little unbalanced. The most recent they didn't even bother to hear my side of the story which I find 100% unacceptable and unprofessional and makes it obvious they could careless about hosts that have been generating awesome revenue, working hard to ensure Airbnb is represented well and delivering mostly all 5 star reviews.  If you read the handful of 4 star reviews I have received, they are full of comments as " awesome host"  fantastic stay " etc.  From this past experience I am extremely disappointed and have zero faith in Airbnb going forward.  My profile now says " host cancelled this reservation the day before"....this is the farthest thing from the truth. Airbnb cancelled the reservation- I DID NOT! I did speak with the guest numerous times, offering credit for future stays, discounts on his proposed party of 20 twenty year olds. My listing clearly states that for groups and parties the rate, cleaning fee and security deposit may be adjusted. Plesase contact so I can configire pricing for you.  Months previous, I spoke with Airbnb team members who were helpful in drafting language in my listing to allow for regular bookings and at the same time alert guests to these fees ( in rules they must agree to before booking). Airbnb crafted the language and agreed it was suffcient, yet one team member does not care and is able to penalize me when what happened was sanctioned by them. THIS IS CRAZY.

@Greg52 UGH - So sorry to hear this. These are the sort of genuine reports that do not present to me as 'venting', 'complaining', or 'whining' - What happened to you as a host seems flat our WRONG. This is the sort of thing that makes me cautious about hosting on Airbnb, as stated in my original post. Is there any one higher up that might be willing to assist you and take off that damaging phrase in your profile? I would find that unacceptable as well, especially when you have clearly excelled as a host in all the ways that matter. Other listing sites have their problems, but it does seem the owner / host has a bit more control over what happens with their rental, and with their listing and reviews. 

Best,

Rebecca

Dawn-And-Toby0
Level 3
Pensacola, FL

I am a new host for five months now. I did have a problem my first week. (more my problem because I was getting my feet wet). I could not understand the Airbnb customer service rep and they did contact someone and get back to me the next day (which was too late). But, I googled a customer service phone number for America and have been successful EVERY time. 

I call just for questions such as navigating the site, questions about guests and their party, profiles that don't match the guests payment name, etc. I have been very pleased with the responses and feel like they heard my requests. 

My experiences with hosting have been tremendously great!! I have met people from Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Australia, and places all over the United States, as well as young and old. Your advertising for your place takes priority!! I advertise for a vintage camper. I advertise a family type experience. I am clean but because I invite you into my home you may see the occassional hand print somewhere....wouldn't you normally. 

I advertise to kayak on my waterfront property 3 miles away, or grill out, or do smores over the firepit that I have by the camper in my FRONT YARD or DRIVEWAY. People are aware of what they are getting before they sign up! And, I extend the offer for a cup of coffee in the mornings. YOU MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE. 

Remember, over 46 million are participating in Airbnb. I want a direct line too and when I call I want to be felt like I am heard. We are the "shoulders of giants". Other great people will stand on our shoulders!! We are the beginning. 

If you are already thinking about hosting, do!! It will take about one week to get your feet wet. Then you decide. I have a feeling you will stick with this journey. Dawn

@Dawn-And-Toby0 What a beautiful and inspiring reply - I love what you wrote! I am going to try it no matter what, but I do feel very concerned when excellent hosts like Greg (above) do not seem to be treated fairly by Airbnb. But I will indeed 'jump in' and see what happens! Thanks for your wonderful response.

Best,

Rebecca

Joseph-And-Arlene0
Level 1
Lake Grove, NY

We are 3 guests into our very new relationship with Airbnb.  If you care about your property and dont mind beer pong being played on your dining table, garbage food & mud left throughout, 75 cigarette butts on front lawn and more guests showing up than you rented it to, hosting may not be for you.  And when you ask for assistance through the 'Resolution ' process, you'll will get sweet talked and thanked.  After you respond and reply with additional information, you are led to believe that Airbnb is acting on your behalf (replying that request is turned over to the financial dept. for payment)  Airbnb closes the case and Heather has not returned any of my emails regarding this matter.  I hope this helps you with your decision NOT to list your property with Airbnb

@Joseph-And-Arlene0 Oh dear, that does not sound good at all. Based on all the responses I have received, many are positive and encouraging, but I feel it would be unwise for me to ignore these reports from hosts like you and Greg and others (see above replies to my original post); and, sadly, it seems that at times this is what Airbnb Customer Service is doing - IGNORING hosts issues and concerns. I do not find this acceptable, but I think I will give it a try, but will ALSO post on other listing sites. I also will NOT be using Instant Booking, at least, not while I am new. My property is beautiful and for adult couples and singles only, minimum age 28, maximum occupancy two, so it is critical that I be able to speak to a potential guest before booking. 

Thank you for reply. Wish it had gone better for you. I wonder if Airbnb will ever address these valid concerns and complaints I read on this forum...

Best,

Rebecca

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

@Rebecca181, those complaining from the Northeast are lacking in sun and that makes us cranky.  Those complaining from the South have had more tornadoes than guests and that makes them cranky.  Those complaining from the West Coast got more rain than they expected, have no idea what to do about it, and that makes them cranky.  The group that complains the least is the group from the Pacific Northwest.  PNW folks are used to cold weather in June, cloudy skies, snow where there should be no snow, so they go with the flow.

Bottom line.... people can b*tch about a million different things.

Your job is to make life good for someone, even if just for a day or two.

Do not fear the process.  Improve it!

@Wendy-and-Frank0 - HA! Then I am in luck - I live in the raining, hailing, snowing (yes, even on the beach) Pacific Northwest!

Cheers,

Rebecca

@Rebecca181, I spent the month of June in the PNW one year and everyone called it JUNEUARY.  Ha ha ha....  I was never so cold in June but you guys made up for it with sturgeon to die for!  😛

Your gardens scream England and I love your part of the country, but I now travel to the PNW with wool socks and sandals.  Just in case.

@Wendy-and-Frank0 Juneuary, I love it! 140 inches of rain so far this winter - a new record. My first winter here. Guess I brought the bad weather with me. Please come vist me if you are ever in Florence, my place is just a hundred feet or so from Heceta Beach.

You can count on it, @Rebecca181.  I never say no to a PNW invite!