New rental rules in Spain

Margaret-Mary0
Level 2
United Kingdom

New rental rules in Spain

Does anyone who hosts in Spain have any idea how the new "rental laws" affect Airbnb listings?  

To my understanding, if I rent out my house in Spain I have to jump through a load of hoops, such as obtaining a rental number from the local town hall, having air conditioning and heating fitted and reporting all guests to the local police station within 12 hours of their arrival!

Is Airbnb caught up in these new laws or is it outwith?  

Any comments or suggestions with this would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

109 Replies 109

Hi, I am also trying to go through it, first of all what I know CTC is not registration number of property is only a identyfication number of registration form, which still is waiting for approval by Junta de Andalucia.

Hi, this is useful, but do you know if we also have to register all our guests with the police in the Valencia community?

Lis2
Level 2
San Rafael, CA

I'm interested in hosting in Spain and want to confirm that Andalusia and Barcelona are the only areas with special requirements for hosts and if so, how have the changes affected those of you renting in these regions?

Thanks.

Im sorry to say that changes have been made to all the regions. Here is quite a good article with some added uptodate info about the state of the changes in different regions.

https://www.spanishpropertyinsight.com/2015/03/06/explaining-the-latest-changes-to-spains-rental-law...

Great article Iain..thanks for that

Hi there

I read your article. I am enquiring on an apartment in Palma, Balears. It states in your article, areas etc. that Balears needs a rental license for houses and vilas but not apartments? Is this still the case? 

Hi Natasha,

From the littel research I've done, you cannot do holiday rentals with apartments on the Baeleric islands. It has to be a detached or semi-detached building in order to get a permit. I could be wrong, but I did read that in a few different articles on the new rental rules in Spain...

Hi Yes the law has changed now so the chaps link above does not apply anymore. No holiday rentals are legal in apartments in Spain anylonger, only free standing house as far as I am away and then you have to adhere to strict compliance etc. So, we who run or own holiday apartments can no longer legally rent to tourists. The idea is to rent out the tenants, no money in that, we will sell and buy in another country less communist.

Your statement is not correct. It does not apply nationally, but to specific select  communities. 

can you post links to articles?

Yes, this has been a total kick in the gut for us. My boss bought a few apartments, renovated them, we took a long time building up a good listing, profiles on various sites. Have you any idea how long this takes and now much work goes into the listing side and keeping it up to date and liasing with guests? Only to be totally targeted by the law, neighbours now threatening to goto the local authorities to report us. So we cancelled all the bookings so far. He will now sell the properties as he is not going to rent to LOCALS because you get nothing for renting to locals. It seems pointless to me for them to create this law, why not rather license all holiday apartments to gain income for the government? It seems very communist to me! 

Anyone else feel this way?

I read this article https://www.seemallorca.com/property/letting maybe it is useful. 

It's all about us LOCALS to be able to live in our cities. If you guys keep pushing airBNB everywhere, and keep buying flats and flats, prices go up and low-middle wealth people can't afford to buy or rent.

Ian394
Level 2
Dunster, United Kingdom

I am local, so now instead of renting out a couple of rooms in the summer which helps the local economy, I just leave the rooms empty.

In the past I tried to rent rooms to workers, but every time I spent more money putting right damage than I got in rent.

People start with one job and then seem to give up and then have no money.

The holiday people that I have seen want rooms in houses and are fed up with hotels.

If they can not get what they want in Spain, they will just go somewhere else.

The holiday makers staying in Airbnb rooms have been great and spend in the local shops and bars unlike most the resort people.

I could understand if the rentals were limited to some extent (say no more than 3 months in a year) and I would undestand if one needed to respect neighbours, but in my case my neighbours are a small hotel and a shop.

I am not allowed a holiday licience as I am joined on both sides.

Nearly all the houses are like this in the city, so now we have loads of emply houses and businesses struggling.

If nothing is done soon I will sell and it will probably go to a Catalan why will use it one or two weeks of the year. This is what has happened to most houses in my area.

I am trying to keep the place alive, but I do have expences.

Hi Natasha, I totaly agree. Do the Spanish government not realise that the tourism industry is a huge earner for them, probably the biggest and this law will drive landlords away and in turn tourist as they will have knowehre to stay!! its absolutely rediculous! Its like being told youve won the lottery so you burn your ticket before you collect your winnings!! No one will buy property in Spain either as investment so this will screw up the construction industry too!! Well done Spain! turn yourself into the next bankrupt nation why dont you?? superb!!