No security deposit in place

Marilize0
Level 1
Johannesburg, South Africa

No security deposit in place

Hello, we have been hosting for 12 months now and for the first time we've had staining to our linen to the point that it has to be replaced.

We do not have a security deposit in place. Any suggestions on how to  deal with this now? Obviously we will add the deposit going forward. We 

20 Replies 20

@Robin4

Thanks for the explanation. You must spent a lot of time on the video thinking through all the details. Awesome!! 

If I come down to Australia, I would definately book with you. 

Regarding shoes:

Interesting. I don't mind if guests wear their shoes in the house, but I've been surprisesd to see that many of them take off their shoes and leave them at the door.

I'm not a big fan of signs directing people what to do, but perhaps a "Please remove shoes" sign on the front door will do a little bit to help.

Jamie

Jennifer178
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

Hi @Marilize0@Robin4 and all,

Like most hosts I view the security deposit as a sign that I value my things and want the guests to value them as well.  Most people will take a little more care if doing so will save them aggrevation and money.  Most people do want to avoid conflict.  Having said that I do not necessarily expect ABB to have my back if my Keurig meets an untimely demise.  I have not had a situation where anything has been damaged so I am probably due.  Most of my guest have truly been the types of people who would agree with me on the damage.  Would I claim a broken dish from a set where the dish cost $15 to replace? I doubt it.  Sometimes people have butter fingers.  When I do have to replace the sheets or anything else, I, as others have done, have charged enough to pay for these costs of business. How will react if something really terrible happens?  I do not want to find out.  I also have very good insurance.

As to the sheets, I have white sheets ( 1 set of high thread count cotton and 1 set of high quality flannel) plus a white duvet cover and white pillow shams.  I chose white because I can put bleach in each load of laundry.  This has worked to get out make-up, lipstick, pizza sauce (at least move the duvet off the bed if you really must eat in the room and not in the kitchen) dirt from shoes and some stuff I was not sure of but did not gross me out.  I have packets of Shout Wipes with the toiletries and tell guests they are great for any stains they get on their clothes or something like the duvet. I should add the make-up wipes since that is the biggest offense.

Have a lovely week one and all

Jennifer

Brenda828
Level 2
Lubbock, TX

What do you do when a guest breaks a bottle of red wine and stains the concrete outside the door?

@Brenda828 Probably use a pressure washer to try and get it off first. There are also products in the paint section of the Home Depot that remove stains from concrete. Failing that... you may have to call in a professional: there are companies out there that do soda blasting and that kind of thing that can be very effective.

If you're thinking of asking the Host Guarantee to pay, make sure you file a claim before the next guest checks in and save all receipts. 

@Brenda828 I would consider spilling more (cheap) wine to stain the whole area and then let the weather tone it down over time