Not sure how to review a disgusting guest

Emad-Eldeen0
Level 1
Windsor, England, United Kingdom

Not sure how to review a disgusting guest

Hello hosts,

I am new to this as a host, and I really feel lost on what to do. My first two guests were amazingly polite and clean, third guest however although he left the room generally in okay state. He did a very disgusting thing, he left bodily fluid, namely **bleep** in the decorative bedspread. He left it in a way that it is obvious and the act seems like a "show off". I was very nice too him during the checkin,  and I can not understand why on earth someone would do that. It is very clear it was done in purpose, not an accident. 

The questions now are:

1- How can I report him to Airbnb? His profile seemed new without reviews but I suspect that he just creats new profiles when he gets bad feedback. Why I say that, because he said during check out that it is not his first time in the twon and he was a guest in a nother Airbnb room 2 months ago but he didn't like it much. It didn't click that time how the other host didn't review him then?

2- The bedspread seems like it would need a dry clean, I am totaly disgusted to just look at it. Can I claim the cost of dry clean from the deposit? and how to start this?

3- The experince made me feel horrible and I do question the whole Airbnb hosting thing. If it was an accident, I will not mind much, but that act is sick in my view and I am not sure what else can I expect from random guests!! What can I do to avoid such thing again?

Please  help !

5 Replies 5
Maxine0
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

Emad -

Hosts charge a cleaning fee to cover laundry costs etc. If you think guests are not going to leave stains on sheets whether couples having a romantic time or a lonely single guy, you're in for a bumpy ride.

As hosts, just like hotels, we deal with laundry issues all the time. Things that I have to accept but annoy me are female guests who use white towels to remove their make-up despite face cloths being provided.

And once I experienced a really horrible situation when drunk adult guests wet the bed, said nothing and I had to replace entire mattress and bedding. They did pay for it - it wasn't a malicious action on their part - it was an error of judgement brought about by high alcohol consumption.

So as you can just dry clean the bed cover to remove the problem, you should do that and learn from it. Make sure you have waterproof mattress protectors and charge a cleaning fee.

As a host you can't get so sensitive and offended by bodily fluids (unless it was faceas, and clearly deliberate) so best get used to such things. And if you placed a review for this guest accusing them of being disgusting for leaving a stain on the bedding, chances are other guests would be too nervous to stay at yours particularly if they are a couple.

You can also leave private feedback and if you feel minded to, you can ask the guest to pay for the dry cleaning of the bed cover that was stained. they might or they might not. Personally, I wouldn't bother.

Emad-Eldeen0
Level 1
Windsor, England, United Kingdom

Hi Maxine
Thank you for your response. I totally understand a situation's you described and I have no problem with any of that. That guest however did this deliberately and from the gathering of his chats and this act, he wanted more than a room.

I wrote to him privately explaining my disappointment. And I asked for the dry cleaning cost through the resolution center. He accepted the cost instantly and never said a word back.

I hope this incident wouldn't happen again soon add it put me off hosting. I did also add a family photo to my profile in hope it would stop those who might be looking for more than a room.
Maxine0
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

@Emad-Eldeen0 - we'll glad that it has been resolved and he paid the dry cleaning fee without argument. You are being very polite and candid about the actual situation and his conversation. He should no better than to book a family house if his intentions are to use your premises for anything untowards.

Hopefully all your future guests will be decent folk - and the memory of this guest will fade into insignificance

I think you did the right thing! It seems better to make it clear there is a 'we' - a family - a partner.... I'm a single mom and have also adjusted my listing to 'family'. I use 'we' instead of 'I'.  It has made a difference - certain type of  requests I had to decline in the past, are no longer coming through, which is a relieve as my guests share the house with me. 

Ireen0
Level 3
Amsterdam, Netherlands

I'm using white linnens and towels that can be cleaned very well... Most stains dont survive a long hot laundry. As for the bedspread: I agree you're in a for an expensive ride. Why dont you buy a nice reasonalbly priced bedspread instead, that can be washed at home? Dont look at it - just trow it in the washer from time to time!