Ojai Violation Notices

Ojai Violation Notices

I recently received a notice from the County of Ventura that my airbnb listing was in violation and must be closed. I went to Ventura County Resource Management agency today and was told inspectors employed by Ventura County are combing through listings and based on our photos and the maps provided by our listing are finding home owners and sending violation notices that can only be rectified by closing our ojai airbnb listings. Short Term rentals application were due January 1 of 2019 and those expire forever as of July 2020. The only option for renting short term in Ojai is a Homeshare with an application fee of $540 and the owner must reside on property while the guests are there. Has anybody else in Ventura County been affected by this current approach and violation process? The Ventura County Code Dept.'s  goal is to eliminate all short term rentals by 2021 despite the growing demand for rentals in Ojai by travelers. 

1 Reply 1
Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Application fee of $540?!!! Wow! I thought Los Angeles led in authoritarianism. Here it's only $89 for the first 120 days that you rent per year. After that it's $750 if you go over 120 days. That's ON TOP OF the 14% tax that they already take. Has anybody ever challenged the legality of these outrageous fees?

What is their rationale for eliminating Airbnb rentals? To drive homeowners out of state? To bankrupt people who are too old to get jobs?