Older Guests and Expectations

Betsy27
Level 2
Longmont, CO

Older Guests and Expectations

Hi!  I am wondering if anyone else has this issue.  I have had several "older" guests recently that are expecting a 5 star hotel.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm in my 50's.  I seem to get endless calls for information that is clearly listed on my site.  Can't find my place.  Don't know the security code.  There is no toothpaste, soap, etc. I should have "to go" cups for the coffee I provide.  Wanting to use the kitchen.  Wondering where I keep my laundry detergent.  There is no network tv.  What is the Wifi password?  The list goes on.

It seems as though the "millenials" show up to my door, put their things away and go off for an adventure!

Sometimes I want to say, "Really?  For $37/night you expect to use my washer/dryer and detergent?"  Or, "You expected kitchen priviledges?  What 5 star hotel offers that?"

I'm just frustrated because I respond immediately to all guests to read over the description and directions on my listing.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks, Betsy

17 Replies 17
Danielle476
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

My worst guests have been seniors, hands down.  They either don't fully understand how AirBNB works/what to expect from it, or think they're still going to get the exact same level of service they would at a hotel (like expecting me to be their personal concierge, not reading anything in my binder, calling me to ask where they should eat dinner, etc.)

The most ornery guest I ever hosted was an older couple who:

1) Put in the wrong address in their GPS as they 'couldn't find my home' and repeatedly called me asking for directions.  When I'd ask 'Okay, where are you now?' they couldn't even tell me.  I spent 25 minutes on the phone with them, directing them in real-time to my home, despite them repeatedly missing turns or saying things like 'I don't think I can turn left here'.  (They weren't used to big city traffic, to their credit.)

2) After I spent 25 minutes on the phone with them and buzzed them into the parking garage, I monitored the August door lock to make sure they'd gotten into my condo.  After another 20 minutes with nobody opening the door, I called back to ask if everything was okay.  The gentleman was FUMING.  He was upset because my owned parking space was next to a retaining wall.  'How the **** am I supposed to get out of my car?!" he demanded.  Literally nobody else has ever complained about this, nor has it been an issue...I was stunned.  I suggested if he didn't feel comfortable opening his door adjacent to a wall, to pull back out and back the car in?   He yelled 'NEVER AGAIN!  Never again will I get an AirBNB!" before hanging up on me.  He was over it and he hadn't even entered my condo yet!  Haha

3) The guest book entry they made complained about the Toronto traffic, no trolley for their luggage, no hard-wired main phone line (does anyone have those anymore?) and no grab bar in the shower.  

They never left a review, thank god.  The amount of time I spent making sure they were okay was ridiculous.  I'm always a little terrified now when older guests book!

Sue251
Level 5
Tasman, New Zealand

Yes all my issues have been with older guests, 60's - 80's.   

I've had them complain about the brightness of my lights, the positioning of my power points, turn up to my house at 11am when my check in is from 2pm, change rooms without asking as they prefer the other empty (but booked) room, yell and swear when they cant find somewhere to put their "Lap" Top. 

A couple have been very shocked to find out I dont cook them a full english breakfast each morning and instead go to work.   I had one older couple asked me where I lived (I rent out private rooms in my home)  they just dont read the add or truely understand the concept of Airbnb.  

My house is low key and I attract a cheaper more back-packy crowd.   The young ones almost with exception are fabulous and independent.  Like someone else said, drop their gear of and go out exploring.

Erin443
Level 10
Salt Lake City, UT

Maybe I'm in the minority, but all my older guests have been amazing, the place is spotless and they usually leave a little thank you gift. Right as the pandemic was ramping up, I had an older couple leave me a 12 pack of toilet tissue!