Petty Complaints - add yours!

Petty Complaints - add yours!

Based on my original post and a suggestion from another lovely host, what are your ridiculous and petty complaints that you have received from guests? I will kick us off

Bird song in the morning was annoying and loud. 

49 Replies 49
Wende2
Level 10
Church Creek, MD

Hi guys...I had a guest complain in her review that my directions should say...property located at corner...my place is 3 down from the corner, sorry I can't pick it up an move it to corner.

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

Not really a complaint, but a funny suggestion. I rent a room in my home, but I am usually out at work for about 12 hrs a day. I had an older guest suggest I get a pet so people would have something to entertain them during the day. I guess she was bored on her own lol. 

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

-“Your room size is not accurately represented as in your Airbnb photos- it’s actually bigger IRL, you get 4* in accuracy”- guest 1

Me: ummm... Airbnb took those photos 🙈

-“Your floor is not levelled- when I was sleeping all the blood went rushing to my brain” -guest 2

Me- Sir, I doubt this as the flat was serviced less than a year ago and nothing was reported back to us but I appreciate you letting me know. Can I ask why you did not use the pillows we provided? 

-“Your fan does not work”- guest 3

Ma’am you connected it to power supply but forgot to press the “on” button (it’s about 2 weeks old at this point)

-“The fridge in my room froze some of my food so I could not eat it” You get 4* in accuracy -guest 4

Response- as in the fridge which only you have access to and you are able to change the temperature for in your room?! Ok... 👍🏼

-“The directions you gave me from the station are inaccurate- it was not an 8 mins walk .”-guest 5

Shows me, (response) umm you chose the car route and not the one by foot... 3* check in 

And my personal favourite but this was not a complaint 

“OMG I found a short cut from the flat to the station” 

*Scratches head* surely not we have lived here since ‘99 but never say never. Shows me the car route as mentioned in previous comment. Response: ummm, maybe this is better 

“Nope I got this route from google”

Ok.... 🤔

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I got marked down to four stars for accuracy because my place looked nicer than my photos of my listing (according to the guest). Go figure 😞

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

A guest gave a very good public review but her private feedback stated that she felt very uncomfortable and was never able to fully relax during her stay.

I messaged her just to get more info and she said that "all the directions"  for things made her really uncomfortable. She was talking about the coffee maker directions that were on the online house manual. 

I think we had the same guest!

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

This family stayed one not particularly warm summer week in Sweden:

Guest: ”My only complaint is the warm temperature in the sleeping loft.”

Me: ”I’m so sorry, did the air conditioning not work?”

Guest: ”We didn’t use the AC, we just opened the window...”

(My house manual clearly states that as it is a low ceiling loft, open plan, it will get warm, UNLESS you use the air conditioning at least for a while before going to bed. No AC restrictions!)

Guest also informed me that the family of 2 adults and 2 children chose to all sleep together on the matress in the low ceiling, open plan loft, instead of also using the sofa bed downstairs. And to prevent the small children from falling down from the loft, they put all their suitcases by the end of the bed, to block the way. Thereby also effectively bocking any flow of fresh air between the windows upstairs and downstairs...

Oh well, what can a host do... But they gave me a 5-star rating! 😂

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

"We couldn't sleep with open windows due to street noise"

(They booked the apartment on the 1st floor with windows facing the street in the city center of Croatian capital)

@Branka-and-Silvia0  It always astounds me when people say they couldn't sleep because it was too noisy. Have they never heard of a thing called earplugs?  I never travel without them and even use them at home sometimes if there's some loud event going on near me.

@Sarah977 

It always astounds me when people expect to sleep with OPEN WINDOWS facing the street in the city 🙂

@Branka-and-Silvia0 And @Sarah977 we had this and our windows are triple glazing! 😂

I have gotten so tired just provide ear plugs and take some with me (more for whoever is with me)- even though I am able to sleep through a rock concert, at my worse fell asleep stood up and leaning against a pole during rush hour Central London Train  ride. 😛

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

I am laughing reading these posts. I had one guest tell me the cooking pots I provided were too small for her to make a big meal in. I said no problem at all & got her a larger one from my own kitchen & gave it to her & she said it was too big 😩. Some days you just have to laugh 😂.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

6 people for a 9 night stay: “2 sets of towels for each guest is not enough, we had to keep using the washer/dryer to wash them”.

”You only have 2 bathrooms for 2 bedrooms.  You should have a 3rd bathroom for the sofa bed guests”.

I kid you not...

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I read a post on another host forum where the guest told the host they gave a 4* Overall (all the other categories were 5*) because the mountain air was too dry.

The host has 2 humidifiers in the room. 

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

Got a complaint for not able to meet the guest in person during checkin. She rated me 3 star in both Check-in and Communication because of that.

I sent her self checkin instruction two days before she checked in.